How To Know If She'd Like A Second Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good to know. So, when I spend time with the two perspective cats, what in particular should I look for based on the info I've mentioned about my current cat? If one or both are considerably larger than my current cat, is that either an issue or something I need to consider or watch?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, it seems like most people agree that personality is key if I do decide to go for a second kitty. But, as I said, my Patches can be both very crazy, playful, etc as well as super calm. She loves attention, and follows me everywhere. She'll sit or lay with me, but so far, not on me. So, proximity, yes, but cuddly, no. Knowing what I know about cats, I hardly think her personality is unique, but I'm also not sure exactly how to match all that to another kitty in the rescue.
Regarding personality and bonding, sometimes I feel its important to know whether the current cat was raised as a "bottle baby" (an orphan) or not.

Bottle babies didn't have the benefit of learning "catspeak" from momma cats, the social cues and manners that a kitten usually learns from having a momma cat keep them in line. And their main social ties and love bonding is usually with human foster parent(s), although a lot of times the feline siblings are around as well in the foster home (also bottle babies too).

Remember that any household of living beings is a sort of system, where one personality plays off of the other(s). I think bottle babies really bond with their human owners/foster parents, and in that sense, they might even feel pretty territorial about their human owner. Another kitty put into a household of a current bottle baby presents a sort of competition for that human's attention and love. (You might think that cats in households are only vying for their own territory claims and that might be the only reason why there's a need for slow introductions, but I feel it is possible that some cats might also vie for territorial claims on the human. The relationships are part of a system.) Cats raised as bottle babies might also stumble on what would be "normal" cat-to-cat interactions, as far as playtime, aggression or territory fights. That is, they may not know how NOT to cross the line with another cat during an introduction phase.

I think a good second kitty might be one well-versed in "catspeak" and kitty manners (that is, a kitten that was not orphaned when young and has actually had several months of experience with a momma cat and experience with the interplay of momma cat and fellow siblings in the litter). It may not necessarily have to do just with gender, and I'm sure there are many other factors that go into personality, but I thought I'd give my two cents. (I have a cat that was orphaned at 4 days old and bottle fed by foster humans.)

Maybe if you are going to a shelter/rescue to look at two kitties to figure out which one to adopt, you could observe how each act when around the other kittens or cats also in the shelter. Is there give and take when they "catspeak" to each other? Does one kitty completely ignore all the other cats in the room and is off in his own world? Or is there a kitty that is social, receptive, acquiescent yet also shows some leadership when interacting with other kitties? Try to think how your Patches is at home with you, then see how the other cats at the rescue might interact with other kittens and cats during playtime and mealtime... that kind of thing. Maybe it would help you to find a more fitting personality for your Patches, if you can find out some of the ways certain kittens or cats at the shelter were raised, etc.

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your input! While everything you've said makes a lot of sense, I'm just not sure I can obtain most of that info on any of the cats in question, including Patches. The majority of the cats at this particular rescue (Patches, and at least one of the perspective cats included) are rescues from kill shelters down in Tennessee. I know Patches was an owner surrender, and that she was surrendered about one month before she came to me, and that she's now been with me for just over a month. I also know that she's a year and a half old, and that she's spayed, microchipped, and healthy. That's it. I have absolutely no other info on her, no history prior to her surrender, etc. I'm guessing either of the other cats are similar in terms of what info is available, but of course I'll ask.

Also, this particular rescue is operated out of someone's house. So, most cats are caged the majority of the time for their own safety, as there are several rescue cats as well as resident cats. I'll definitely inquire about how they get along with others, but due to what I've just described, I'm not sure there will be a lot of info there, either.

Patches is a very curious kitty, exploring any new place that becomes available to her. When I first brought her home, she hid for a week or so straight, so I thought she was going to be a shy kitty. She's not. She follows me everywhere, and she's very vocal. She jumps on me just until she has my attention, and as soon as she has it, she gets down. She bites my phone, or my finger to get my attention, and then, again, she gets down. She loves to be close to me, but doesn't like to be picked up or held. The only time she is at all shy or timid is around my 60 lb dog, and she's slowly but surely coming around and getting used to him, too.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know if either of the boy cats you are considering are friendly lap cats? That's what I would look for if I were to ever get another.

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know, but I'll try to find out. Truth be told, I don't even know if both are boys. One is for sure, but the other, I know nothing about.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But then again, it's the lap cats that always get adopted first. If I saw a cat that nobody wanted, I might take him instead. You just never know what your heart will tell you to do. :)

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Right! I think I'd lean toward a cat that was having trouble being adopted, too (as long as they didn't have any elevated behavior or health concerns-I'm not ready for "special needs"). I just need to be as sure as I can be that I'll have a fairly simple transition process if I'm going to do this. I definitely don't want to get into a situation as described earlier in this thread where things were difficult, meds were required, etc. I hate to sound terrible, but I'm just not up to such situations.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
JGombs99 JGombs99 , I don't think there's anything terrible about being upfront with yourself and with the rescue about what situations you're equipped to deal with both mentally and financially. The ideal is to match the kitten with a 'forever
home' where the cat will be happy, and your honest description of your home and limitations is important.

At the adoption event where we eventually adopted Juniper, my husband and I were pretty firm about not being able to deal with a special needs cat or a senior, having just lost our beloved Gwen after months of vet visits, medication, etc.
Of course, I'm aware that Juniper will grow up and grow old one day, too, and we will be committed to taking care of her when that time comes, but we wanted to maximize the chances that she'd be healthy for the short term.

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Etarre Etarre , thanks! Your sentiments are almost exactly what I'm feeling.

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, all, new twist to my decision on whether or not to add a second cat. I'm sure you all know exactly what I'm referring to if I use the term "cat craziness". From your experience, and from your knowledge of cats, would a second cat mellow the craziness out a bit, or would an extra cat just lead to extra craziness?

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, all, new twist to my decision on whether or not to add a second cat. I'm sure you all know exactly what I'm referring to if I use the term "cat craziness". From your experience, and from your knowledge of cats, would a second cat mellow the craziness out a bit, or would an extra cat just lead to extra craziness?
HEHE in my case I would mostly say it mellows it but only AFTER they chase eachother like mad. And I mean dashing through the apartment, and running up the cat tree etc. But then after a few minutes they are good. I think two cats is good for the fact that they take that craziness out on eachother and not on you or your things :tongue:
They have another cat as an outlet for them to be able to have some fun and get their energy out on eachother and that way they are more mellow

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im a big fan of multiple cats. :) I have 4, two girls and 2 boys. They all play, i love to watch them get wound up and chase each other all over the house. The boys also love a good play fight, the girls wont do that with them :) then they snuggle up together and nap, or sit in the window together and watch the birds. They have their moments when they are not best buds, but it never last long, kind of like human siblings :)

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
duckpond duckpond , thanks! What's your opinion on the "cat craziness" with multiples? Does it get mellowed out, or does it multiply? How about things like litterbox and feeding? Specifically, I've heard the litterbox rule of thumb is one for each cat plus an extra. This means three for two cats. This really wouldn't be feasible for me. Would it be a horrible idea to have one box for two cats, or could this work? For feeding, do you put the right amount for two cats down, and hope each gets the correct amount, or do you actually separate them for feeding? I already have two spaces for feeding with my dog and cat, so I feel like a third feeding place may begin to get complicated.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
duckpond duckpond , thanks! What's your opinion on the "cat craziness" with multiples? Does it get mellowed out, or does it multiply? How about things like litterbox and feeding? Specifically, I've heard the litterbox rule of thumb is one for each cat plus an extra. This means three for two cats. This really wouldn't be feasible for me. Would it be a horrible idea to have one box for two cats, or could this work? For feeding, do you put the right amount for two cats down, and hope each gets the correct amount, or do you actually separate them for feeding? I already have two spaces for feeding with my dog and cat, so I feel like a third feeding place may begin to get complicated.

I have one box for my two cats since I live in an apartment and it has never ever been a problem. I got them a GIANT one I think its like and XL size with a lid on it, and I make sure to scoop once in the morning and once at night, and then completely dump the litter and wash out the box with soap and water and add brand new litter once a month and it has worked fine. They actually like to supervise each other go to the bathroom (I know its weird). And as far as feeding goes they have two bowls in the kitchen where I put 1/4 cup dry food in each bowl, and then wet food I just feed stella on the counter (because toby is a pig) and toby get his wet food in the kitchen. But they both usually eat the dry food at different times, so toby will go and snack a bit and then after play when he is super tired stella will go and eat. So I really don't think that would be a big deal :)

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Although I don't live in an apartment, there are few places in my house where I think would make sense for a litterbox, and having two or three, all in the basement seems silly to me. So your thoughts on the litterbox are encouraging.

Feeding may take a bit more planning on my part, but I'm sure I could figure it out if I decide to move forward. I really don't want to encourage cats on the counter, so I don't think I'd want to use the counter as a feeding place. My Patches is a small cat, and if I get another, the second one will be larger. The cat who most has my attention is probably approximately double Patches' size. So, it only makes sense to me that he'd need double the food she needs, and unless I'm missing something, it seems like this could be difficult to manage.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats and 2 litterboxes. I couldn't afford any more than that, since the litter is expensive. My girl cat is 10 pounds and my boy cat is 12 or 13 pounds and they both eat the same amount of food. I do feed them in separate rooms, but if you don't want to do that, you can just pick up the dish when they are done eating and bring it back later.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want to say that I appreciate all of this problem-solving and pondering of potential issues, before you get another cat. Good job!
:thumbsup:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
with my guys they do get the zoomies and chase each other around the house, but not as much as they did as kittens. few times a week they all get the crazies and go for it. we sit and watch, and laugh, they are so funny. As they get older mine are all 3 to7 or so now, they do calm down with most things. But they still have crazies now and again, just not constant like young cats.

i do the 5 boxes, we have room, and i dont have to worry so much about the scooping on time this way. :) I scoop 2 or 3 times a day, but with 4 cats...lol...... With two cats you could most likely get by with one big box, i do like uncovered boxes and i think cats do too. You will just need to keep up with the scooping at least twice a day.

For wet meals, i feed two per day, and i give each cat a 3 oz can of something. some eat it all, some don't. I do have a separate area in the dinning room that i put a plate for each, they are together, but everyone gets their own plate. With Dry food i put out two plates, about what i think they will eat in a 24 hour period. With only two cats i would most likely just do one plate of dry for the day.

Cats tend to stress over resources.... litter boxes, food, water, toys, perches, toys, their humans. As long as you have enough so that they dont feel they will run out of food, water, clean litter box space you should be fine. Some cats are more stressful about this than others... i have seen my boys get in the same box at the same time :) the girls would never...lol. I think often cats that dont get along, or fight, its because in the wild there is a chance they will run out of resources that they need, so they try to drive others away. Same thing indoors, so to reduce friction between our cats we make sure there is always more than enough for everyone. they know that and dont stress :)

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just want to say that I appreciate all of this problem-solving and pondering of potential issues, before you get another cat. Good job!
:thumbsup:
Thanks! Like I've said, I could truly be happy with or without a second cat, so I really want to be smart about it if I do get another.