How to keep kitten from going places

ZsadistRaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have two five month old kittens, one male and one female. Currently, my female kitten, Nami, isn't able to jump very high if she has to think about it. For example, she can jump about 3 feet when playing, but can't easily jump onto my bed which is about 2 feet high. I'm not overly worried about this yet, since she'd so young and seems to like climbing. However, her brother, Luffy, is becoming a problem. He is constantly jumping onto the counter (via a lower standing portion), getting up on the basement ceiling, the kitchen table, and, most recently, an arch on my fireplace just below the mantel. I understand him being curious, but I really want him to stop doing this so he doesn't get in the habit when he's older. Particularly with the basement ceiling, which is unfinished and not very safe, and the fireplace area, given I have items on the mantel that are rare, old, and easily broken.

I've looked into a few suggestions, like wiping the area down with something, putting foil around it, and a few other things, but then I look somewhere else and they say not to do this. I currently have the section of the counter he can jump on blocked off (but it won't last for much longer) and some stuff filling the gap between the mantel and fireplace arch (which has only grabbed BOTH of their attentions more). And they've learned they both can climb the bricks of the fireplace! I've also tried to block off the way Luffy was able to get into the basement ceiling, but he is somehow able to still get up there. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that can help me keep them from jumping and getting into areas I want to keep them out/off of?

I've attached a picture of the fireplace to give a better idea of why I'm a little afraid of them getting on the mantel. They do not climb the DVD rack or the PS3 box, but they've tried jumping the screen. Luffy was able to get on the arch in a lower spot. I've also added a pic of my kittens. Luffy is the one in the front (has the collar and he is just slightly larger) and Nami is behind him (eyes more golden).

Attachments

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a few suggestions for the mantel and counter issues. For the gap area above the fireplace I would try packing it more tightly like with a rolled up blanket, pillows, or something so there is no gaps, maybe even hide a small container or two of coins (or something else that would make a loud rattle) in it so if they do manage to pull the blanket out it makes a loud rattling noise to scare them. As for the stuff on the mantel, I would just put anything you can't stand to loose away until the kittens are older. To deter them from going on counters or onto the mantel you can try using those office mat things that have little rubber nubs on them that are for use on carpet, use it upside down so the nubs are facing up, most cats wont want to sit on those.

I don't know how he is getting into the ceiling so I can't really help there, is there a way to just close a door to the basement or something?

By the way they are adorable 🙂 I want an orange kitty but life hasn't thrown any my way yet.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! Normally,a cat can determine if it's safe to jump somewhere. She will stare at it,contemplating, and jump or walk away. Try putting up shelves or a tall cat tower. Mine is 72inches! I have it by the porch so they can watch the birds. My cats are all microchipped since I am worried they would go outside but have never been interested in 9 years

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ZsadistRaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a few suggestions for the mantel and counter issues. For the gap area above the fireplace I would try packing it more tightly like with a rolled up blanket, pillows, or something so there is no gaps, maybe even hide a small container or two of coins (or something else that would make a loud rattle) in it so if they do manage to pull the blanket out it makes a loud rattling noise to scare them. As for the stuff on the mantel, I would just put anything you can't stand to loose away until the kittens are older. To deter them from going on counters or onto the mantel you can try using those office mat things that have little rubber nubs on them that are for use on carpet, use it upside down so the nubs are facing up, most cats wont want to sit on those.

I don't know how he is getting into the ceiling so I can't really help there, is there a way to just close a door to the basement or something?

By the way they are adorable 🙂 I want an orange kitty but life hasn't thrown any my way yet.
I'll give your suggestions a try, but I'm not over confident with the rattling noise. Loud noises scare them, but only once or twice (except the vacuum). They adapt really quickly and are proving to be pretty smart.

They are adorable and cuddly! Funny thing is, they were in a litter of 5 and all but one looked nearly identical. I'm sure an orange baby will find you one day.