How To Keep A Cat Indoors

Fbiuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So a housekeeper that my dad hired is coming that is gonna clean the apartment (she does this every Wednesday). She has always opened the back door to take out the garbage and always leave the door open (and some cases even the front door). My last cat, Kitty, escaped seven times in a row due to this, but luckily she was smart enough to come back in 1-2 days. However, with the new cat, Hera, I am worried that she might end up lost forever. The "standard procedure" is that I and my dad lock Kitty in one of the rooms for a few hours until the Housekeeper is done. However as she only been adopted just a few days ago, she is super-shy and hasn't explored the whole house yet.

I suggest to my Dad that we should put it in his bedroom, as Hera has already explored it and was hiding in his closet all morning today. However, he disagrees and wants to put her in a cat carrier and place her in a spare room. The problem is that I think this would stress the cat out too much, especially since it's a new location.

So any advice? This noob would appreciate any from experienced cat owners!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think that putting her in the bedroom she's already familiar with would be less stressful than being kept in the carrier for a few hours, especially since she'll have more space to run around in the bedroom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fbiuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that putting her in the bedroom she's already familiar with would be less stressful than being kept in the carrier for a few hours, especially since she'll have more space to run around in the bedroom.
100% agree. But my dad vehemently doesn't want her on the bed...or my bed really. He thinks that letting the cat on the bed would risk getting infections from them.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think shutting her in any room - even one that she isn't familiar with - would be better than putting her in a carrier. Can you convince your housekeeper to be more careful about closing all the doors?
Your dad is silly. Cats in the bed won't make anyone sick. Ours sleep with us every night and we don't get sick. There might be some danger with cats who are allowed outside, but that would be minimal and since your kitties stay in, there's absolutely nothing to worry about. Germs cause illness and without going out, the kitties won't pick any up.

hp811hyg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
use petsafe scatmat, just place the scatmat in any area you want your cat to avoid, and turn it on. When your cat steps on the mat cat will feel a mild static pulse. Cat quickly learn which areas they should keep away from. I try it myself and it's not painful so it's safe for cat too. I placed it front of the door and it only took a one time for my cat, now even I open the door all the way, my cat knows and won't go farther out than the mat.

Fbiuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think shutting her in any room - even one that she isn't familiar with - would be better than putting her in a carrier. Can you convince your housekeeper to be more careful about closing all the doors?
We tried...except that she still leaves the door open carelessly. Our previous cat, Kitty, escape about four times because of this (we were lucky as hell, she had great homing instincts and came back within a day or two). It honestly feels like she doesn't care. I think it would best to keep her in one of the spare rooms then. Just gotta make sure she has cat litter so she doesn't accidentally poop on the bed (which happens to me twice with Kitty).

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If this is a weekly thing could you get a larger dog crate where the kitten could have a litter box toys etc. If you show her the crate can be fun by tossing treats in or a favorite toy this will keep her safe and off your dads bed

Fbiuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If this is a weekly thing could you get a larger dog crate where the kitten could have a litter box toys etc. If you show her the crate can be fun by tossing treats in or a favorite toy this will keep her safe and off your dads bed
Yeah. It's gonna be a weekly thing.

Also, SUCCESS! Dad agreed to put her in his bedroom provided the litter box is placed in there too. It took over 30 minutes though since she was shy as heck, even catnip didn't work, but I was able to lure her in by opening a can of Nature's Variety.