How To Introduce Surrogate Mom Cat To Orphaned Kittens?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. You are perhaps doing some fault at weighting, and this is why its that low?? Anyways, its changes which is most important, ie you see clearly its gaining minimum 6+ grammes every day, but preferably 10+

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps an OT question, it wont help you any,but Im curious. You said the vet did the cesarean because momma was overdue, right?
OK, how do you know she was overdue? Which day it was according to your own count?

Im curious, because the kittens saw somewhat premature to me. So there is something not adding up. Either they werent overdue at all. OR I must relearn, and overdue kittens them too may look somewhat premature...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiarah113

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
how do i know the kitten is satisfied w/ their milk? do i feed the kitten until theyre sleepy?
the kitten was 50 grams last sunday and last tuesday he was 60 grams and yesterday i weighed the kitten to 100 grams

kiarah113

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ : last jan 22 i visited the vet to check mimingsu's bleeding, initially we found blood spots near her resting area and we got worried and in the check up mimingsu had an ultrasound and the vet said those were like balls or like baby thingies forming and from the blood test it was shown she had a high infection
and also mimingsu has a broken hip and bec of the broken hip she has a limp right back leg so whenever she walks she drags her leg and her paw gets scratched on the concrete ground creating a wound.
so i told the vet maybe the bleeding was from her paw and the vet wasnt sure either bec from my testimony i only saw blood spots near her area but never saw where it came from
so either from her paw or from her genital we didnt really know and the vet concluded that mimingsu was maybe having an abortion so we ignored her pregnancy and etc.

the next vet visit was somewhere in march and it was another infection form mimingsu but the vet said that shes going to give birth maybe around march 22 or 27 but she didnt give birth so we decided to go with a c section on april 3

kiarah113

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sorry huhu but the 50 grams and 60 grams we're based on the day i visited the vets
bec the alive kitten was not pooping so on sunday i went ot the vet they measured him 50 grams on a digital scale
and on tuesday i went to another vet bec the kitten was pooping a lot of yellow poop and in between was orange runny poop and the measure was 60 grams and i only bought the weighing scale yesterday and it says it was a hundred grams
sorry for the misunderstandiiing

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like you are doing a good job! Feed the kitten as much as it wants. They usually will turn their heads away when full.

Weigh a tupperware bowl, then weigh the kitten in the bowl and subtract the weight of the bowl. The bowl keeps the kitten from squirming off the scale.

Feed your kitten every 2-3 hours for now since it is so little.

Here is a helpful link:

Syringe Feeding

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can even feed more often than every 2 hours, if you find it necessary. For example, if he manages just small portions. Giving small but often is sometimes the solution.

kiarah113

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks a lot for the advices i really appreciate it
but can i ask how many times should a kitten poop? my kitten has been getting constipated and not constipated and its really hard when he/she gets constipated bec there is a lot of straining to it

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens usually poop once a day, but sometimes skip a day.

How many mLs is your kitten eating at each feeding? How often are you feeding? How much does the kitten weigh now?

You can add a couple of drops of olive oil to the formula at each feeding. It will help soften the stool for the kitten to pass it.

kiarah113

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 : i give my kitten a minimum of 3ml but if he/she wants more the ml varies
yesterday the kitten pooed 8 times and the first two bowels were constipated but later it wasnt
then today my kitten was constipated twice again and has pooed 3 times
my kittens weight is still 140 since april 14

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wait, if he pooed 3 days the same day, he isnt constipated. so what do you mean? No poo when you stimulated, or very hard poo when he did poo?

Standing still one day or two, in an otherwise healthy and thriving kitten, isnt dangerous. But not more than this.

What else can you try to change to get more improvement? (I have noticed the caretaker does often have really good ideas, that is why Im encouraging you to thinking on it)

kiarah113

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ : sorry for the misunderstanding i meant that the kitten is having a hard time pushing the poop it takes longer than the previous poops and right now im buying some hydrite oral re hydration salts and gonna mix this w water and use it for the milk i dont have any olive oil with me so this will do :(

kiarah113

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my kitten suddenly started sneezing or coughing after drinking milk i dont think this is normal T_T

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its what we always fear. Although in a parallell thread, an experienced rescuer / vet tech, has it happen quite often. Without negative consequences.
So, primarily alarming yes - but with a little luck, it may be nothing much. Just a little too much a little to quick. We humans tends to to get "wet in the throat" in such a situation.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ : sorry for the misunderstanding i meant that the kitten is having a hard time pushing the poop it takes longer than the previous poops and right now im buying some hydrite oral re hydration salts and gonna mix this w water and use it for the milk i dont have any olive oil with me so this will do :(
Nothing wrong with hydration salts. and useful with diarrhea. But this wont help him much for constipation.

You can use almost any food oil if you dont have coldpressed olive oil. We say coldpressed olive oil because its healthy nourishment in itself, but almost any food oil will do.

You can surely borrow from some neighbour, its not much you need. Half a coffe cup for a full week.

kiarah113

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ : is cooking oil ok? we only have canola oil here :(

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you have several canola oils to choose from, take the coldpressed one.
its in fact, as good and healthy as olive oil.

But if you have just some cheaper warmpressed, it should be OK anyway.