How To Give A Cat Ear Medication Without Her Freaking Out?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So my 7 month kitten has being through a lot. She’s gotten sick 4-5 times, and had to take medications from syringe probably hundreds of times. When she was at her worse I had to bath her twice a day due to a skin infection from diarrhea she had on her skin. But now she got an ear infection. And I have to give ear medication to both her ears every 12 hours for the next two weeks. Normally with her other medication she started tolerating it and I got pretty good at squirting the medicine into her mouth. But with this ear medication, I got to flip her ear back, and then hold her head still as I squirt the medication into both her ears, and every single time, she struggles, and even more so after the first ear. So usually I do have to use a bit more force unfortunately. I still got 10 more days of this, so 20 more times. Any advice to keep her calm? I usually give her a treat afterwards, but lately she’s being hiding underneath my bed after I let her go, so I got no choice there.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to put ear drops in one of my cats for a few weeks. Cant say as it ever got easy. squirt the drops in then fold the ear back over the opening and hold it, rubbing gentle for a moment or two. vet had me do this to make sure she didn't shake it all out, and that it got squished around in the whole ear. Its definitely easier if you have someone that can help? I would still give her a treat, lay it by the bed. she will see it and come for it :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I gots nothing on this one. You might try holding her and just rubbing her head in between times, so she starts to associate that position with good things as well as bad...but that's just a guess.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Whenever I have to put ear drops for my boy, I’ll wait till when he’s resting and very close to sleeping and drowsy. I’ll hide the ear drop in my palm and I’ll just pet him with the other hand touching his ears and giving him a light massage holding his ear and while he don’t suspect anything, I quickly squeeze a drop into his ear.

So maybe you like to wait till she’s drowsy then administer the ear drop.

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat, Ally, has some kind of issue that has left her with super gunky ears (it's a technical term :p), requiring the use of this ear cleaning solution.

The easiest way I've found requires two people, though you could probably manage it by yourself if necessary.

I 'kitty burrito' her tightly with her favorite blanket (very much on par with swaddling a baby, just a much furrier version), trapping her arms underneath, using one arm to shake the bottle of solution and the other to sort of hold her chin/head still. I talk really softly and sweetly, and try to squirt the meds in as fast as I can. It definitely helps if you can angle the bottle out of her line of sight.

Ear medicine time is still not her favorite and there are still times where the fight isn't worth it - but it's kept her from getting too gunked up.

Good luck!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Make sure you warm the med up a bit either by placing the bottle in warm water for about 30 seconds, or by placing the bottle in your armpit (sounds weird, but it works!) or someplace on your body to warm it up. Then it's not such a shock when you drop the meds into her earl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had to put ear drops in one of my cats for a few weeks. Cant say as it ever got easy. squirt the drops in then fold the ear back over the opening and hold it, rubbing gentle for a moment or two. vet had me do this to make sure she didn't shake it all out, and that it got squished around in the whole ear. Its definitely easier if you have someone that can help? I would still give her a treat, lay it by the bed. she will see it and come for it :)
I can usually get someone to help at night, but in the morning no one can help.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
or by placing the bottle in your armpit (sounds weird, but it works!) or someplace on your body to warm it up.
Yep. I kept Hekitty's tucked into my bra. The meds were nicely warm, I could pretty much leave the bottle there all day, and I didn't lose it or worry about dropping it.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had to do this solo. The easiest is to hold the scruff in one hand and drops in the other and rub each ear as you go. The sleepier the cat the better!!
I don't know, their at the age that I rather not scruff them for any reason.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not saying to pick them up by the scruff if they’re not kittens they shouldn’t ever be picked up I’m just saying to hold the scruff to just hold them and their heads in place it doesn’t hurt them.

flamesabers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I 'kitty burrito' her tightly with her favorite blanket (very much on par with swaddling a baby, just a much furrier version), trapping her arms underneath, using one arm to shake the bottle of solution and the other to sort of hold her chin/head still. I talk really softly and sweetly, and try to squirt the meds in as fast as I can. It definitely helps if you can angle the bottle out of her line of sight.
I've done the same, minus the blanket with my cat Kacie. Realizing she can't easily escape and not seeing the bottle I think helped to make the process more tolerable for her. She still ran away to a safe location when I was done, but at least she cooperated with receiving the ear drops.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m not saying to pick them up by the scruff if they’re not kittens they shouldn’t ever be picked up I’m just saying to hold the scruff to just hold them and their heads in place it doesn’t hurt them.
Yeah of course, but even then I don't know they would still perceive it as an aggressive movement. I may try it.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since it is the same sensation as a mother cat controlling or moving them, they generally don't see it as aggressive. Just make sure not to dig your nails into their skin.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since it is the same sensation as a mother cat controlling or moving them, they generally don't see it as aggressive. Just make sure not to dig your nails into their skin.
Yeah but I'm not a cat or her mother, and try as I may won't know the exact pressure and location to touch at the back of her neck.

Plus a mother cat usually don't scruff a kitten for "unfun" activities but to move them.

Although her ear seems to be getting better so I won't have to do it for much longer.