How to get new kitten to eat

mrfairy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I introduced a 1 year old kitten to my two 3 year old cats. They are not aggressive towards her and mostly nonchalant, one of them tries to come close from time to time to sniff the kitten only to be met by hissing, where he gets the idea and walks off.

The kitten began hiding so I placed her in a separate room where she began drinking water but still not eating even when I try feeding her the popular ciao snack irresistible to all cats. After a while, she began meowing and protesting at the door to be let out, so I reintroduced her back to the communal area. The next day, she was drinking water outside and walking around exploring the house with her tail up. Is this a sign that she would begin eating again soon? She still will not accept treats.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. And congrats on the new kitty. Sorry, though, that she's not eating. How long have you had her now? If she hasn't eaten for more than 24 hours, or so, I would call your vet for advice. Cats can't go very long without eating, or they can develop hepatic lipidosis, or fatty liver, which can be life threatening.

Here's a TCS article with more info: Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous? – TheCatSite Articles

Plus:
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrfairy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Should i force feed her? She hasn't eaten for a day as of now. Other places say 3 days is dangerous.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long have you had the kitten? Are you feeding the same food the kitten was eating previously? If not, offer some of it. Ask whoever you got the kitten from for the brands that were fed. I would still keep the kitten confined to the safe room with food and water so you can monitor intake. Are you sure she is not eating at all? Is she pooping in the litter box?

mrfairy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long have you had the kitten? Are you feeding the same food the kitten was eating previously? If not, offer some of it. Ask whoever you got the kitten from for the brands that were fed. I would still keep the kitten confined to the safe room with food and water so you can monitor intake. Are you sure she is not eating at all? Is she pooping in the litter box?
I've had her for nearly 2 days now. She initially pooped on the end of the first day. There may be a chance she ate while nobody was watching. But when we offer her snacks she refuses which gives me the impression she probably hasn't eaten but I'm not sure. She is happily walking around the house with her tail up and active when played with.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
2 days isn't a long time but not eating for that long is a concern. Some cats just aren't into treats and snacks so refusal doesn't necessarily the cat isn't eating normal food. Does she act hungry? Constantly meowing / whining, getting into the trash can, counter surfing, etc? If not, she's probably is eating and just not when you're watching. Are you feeding dry or canned food?

mrfairy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2 days isn't a long time but not eating for that long is a concern. Some cats just aren't into treats and snacks so refusal doesn't necessarily the cat isn't eating normal food. Does she act hungry? Constantly meowing / whining, getting into the trash can, counter surfing, etc? If not, she's probably is eating and just not when you're watching. Are you feeding dry or canned food?
No she acts completely normal. Seems inquisitive and playful. Are some cats shy eaters?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she still hasn't eaten, try giving her something stinky like sardines. Or tuna. Some people say cats can't resist turkey/chicken deli meat. And feral cat rescuers have found KFC also works. So maybe one of those might work. Right now it is important to get some calories in her system.

mrfairy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she still hasn't eaten, try giving her something stinky like sardines. Or tuna. Some people say cats can't resist turkey/chicken deli meat. And feral cat rescuers have found KFC also works. So maybe one of those might work. Right now it is important to get some calories in her system.
She didn't accept the tuna wet food I put out. I will continue to observe tomorrow as she's still full of energy. Not sure if she could be eating when nobody is watching.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's possible she's eating the same food as the other cats, but since you're not sure, maybe leave her in one room by herself for a while and see if she eats anything.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are some cats shy eaters?
Yes. Some cats like to eat in private. One of my cats gets nervous if her bowl is too close to my other cat. Even while eating she gets nervous and stops eating if my other cat is giving her death stares to hurry up and eat so he can lick the bowl.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest putting her and your other cat all in 1 room. (Or whichever cat she seems to like best.) Then if they all seem happy, give them all fancy feast (chicken or tuna) broth. Spy on her through a crack in the door hinge, to see if she is eating. It may be, she is still nervous around you.

Some cats are just not food motivated .

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be sure to check her scruff to make sure she is hydrated. Provided she is hydrated, I would give her a week to settle in before I rush her to the vet.

Tou can try hiding under a blanket or behind poster board. Or you can try watching her through a mirror. Maybe she will let you see her through her reflection in a makeup mirror.