How to get cats to stop chewing on wires

kimmycup1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats recently discovered my tv wires and nothing I do prevents them from messing with them. My tv is mounted to the wall so the wires hang down, they are in plain view and I understand why they would want to play with them. I've tried just about everything I can think of to prevent them from chewing on them. As soon as I noticed the issue, I bought wire protectors. It worked for less than a day before they started bothering them and figured out how to easily take them off. So, I put double sided tape on them. It didn't prevent them from chewing at all. The next thing I tried was vinegar. Didn't work, so I tried hot sauce(which I really didn't want to do because I didn't want them tasting it, but it didn't matter because after a few days I guess it wore off and they went back to chewing). So my last attempt was to take the double sided tape and tape the wires, still in the protectors, to the wall. It worked for maybe 3 days and this morning I come back to them destroying it after leaving them alone for 20-30 minutes. I've thought about buying a spray to deter them but they didn't seem to have the best reviews so I wasn't sure if they work.

I unfortunately can't move my tv or the dresser(which is what they're using to get to the wires). I don't want anyone getting hurt so I feel like I'm going to have to just get rid of the tv altogether. Any suggestions would be great.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BFQHY9CQ/?tag=

i had good luck with these specific covers.

remove them from the room while you install. You want them to think that their chew toy is gone not that you've burried them for enrichment.

every No needs a Yes for cats. (They have to meet that chewing need). So come on over to the chewers groups where we share what our cats can safely chew on. You might try doing things like taping a paper straw to the wall because they seem to like getting in to trouble in that way. (For example we put toys on our dressers. Cal likes to steal from our dressers so now he steals toys rather than things he can't have)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cord protectors and buy silver vine sticks for your problem chewer. I would block off behind the tv so they can’t get back there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kimmycup1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BFQHY9CQ/?tag=

i had good luck with these specific covers.

remove them from the room while you install. You want them to think that their chew toy is gone not that you've burried them for enrichment.

every No needs a Yes for cats. (They have to meet that chewing need). So come on over to the chewers groups where we share what our cats can safely chew on. You might try doing things like taping a paper straw to the wall because they seem to like getting in to trouble in that way. (For example we put toys on our dressers. Cal likes to steal from our dressers so now he steals toys rather than things he can't have)
I shopped around on Amazon and bought a similar product to what you recommended. It will be here tomorrow so hopefully it works. Thank you for the guidance! I'll look into what I can do about giving them something to chew on. It's mostly one cat, Kira, that does it. She's always been a bit of a troublemaker since she was a baby.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, there is slit plastic tubing for cords. It's called Chewsafe and made specifically to prevent cats from chewing on cords. Chewsafe I had to put it on all my AC adaptor cords because Mingo was fascinated with them and I had spent a fortune replacing the adaptors.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I shopped around on Amazon and bought a similar product to what you recommended. It will be here tomorrow so hopefully it works. Thank you for the guidance! I'll look into what I can do about giving them something to chew on. It's mostly one cat, Kira, that does it. She's always been a bit of a troublemaker since she was a baby.
We always reach have one trouble maker 😆 Try to provide some enrichment to keep her busy. There's lots of DIYs on YouTube. No need to break the bank.