how to get a man to clean cat litter

purrsngrrs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This post is so funny. Well to be honest, only solution to this problem is if you simply show him how to do it. Show him for few times. He ll learn eventually. If you have already shown him and he has not learned yet then I suppose you should let him do it the way he is doing it.

davey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why do you have him do it for you if it is your cat and you are watching him doing it and telling him he is doing it all wrong? 
I honestly want to know. 
Are you unable to clean the box right now and need assistance?

hellocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, at least he's doing it! If you want him to do it, let him do it his own way. . .I know that if someone picks on the way I do things, I just won't do them anymore :/. If he seems to be struggling with his technique, and he's generally open to suggestions, you could give a few pointers. But otherwise, don't fuss.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't believe anyone would have trouble cleaning the litterbox because of their gender!!!  Fortunately, I have not had this experience and if I ever did, I'm afraid the guy would be out the door. 

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hubby hates scooping out the litter boxes.  He does pitch in and do other things around the house though.  I do not like to cook so he does most of the cooking. If I do need him to scoop out the litter boxes and ask him to do it he will.  We rarely travel separately but when it has happened he takes excellent care of the cats and scoops out the boxes while I am gone. I have never come home to a dirty litter box. Also if we are going out of town after I get off work and he is home before me he will scoop out the boxes on his own while I am at work.  Years ago I had a badly sprained ankle and could not get around much at all.  When I was dealing with this he told me to stay off it and took over the litter boxes on his own.  He also did all the cooking and cleaning during this time without being asked.  My mom eventually decided to hire a cleaning lady to help us until my ankle was better.  My hubby did not ask her to do this.  She actually called him and asked if it would make things easier for him while my injury was healing. He still did the day to day stuff but someone came out once a week for a few months to help with the rest of the cleaning.

My hubby does bring the litter into the house and carry it into the basement for me.  He also cleans both the cat fountains since I am horrible at taking them apart and putting them together.

If he flat out refused to deal with the litter boxes at all then it would be an issue.

Last edited:

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL, well since this old thread is still going, here's my contribution.  Some of you may be able to use this idea.  Some years ago my sister and my friend were both pregnant and both asked their Doctors about possible concerns with their cats, both havving heard old wives stories about cats suffocating babies and ssuch.  Both were told not to worry, dogs were more likely be jealous and do more harm, cats might like a nice warm snooze in baby's crib but just to be extra safe when handling kitty litter or, better yet, Get Their Husbands to Change the Litter.  Well, my husband heard this and got it into his head that changing kitty litter might be dangerous for any woman, pregnant or not.  My sister's and friend's kids are now in their mid thirties and I still have not told my husband the truth.  :)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Can't believe anyone would have trouble cleaning the litterbox because of their gender!!!  Fortunately, I have not had this experience and if I ever did, I'm afraid the guy would be out the door. :nod:
Get him a macho looking litter box with manly litter scoops and camo bags to dispose off the scooped litter :lol3:

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, those men...sometimes they can actually live up to their own image of themselves and be tough enough to clean litterboxes! Imagine that. 

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yeah, those men...sometimes they can actually live up to their own image of themselves and be tough enough to clean litterboxes! Imagine that. :catguy:
:yeah:
Hey wait! I'm a man! I clean up January's litter box everyday, 3 times a day and January loves me for that. :lol3:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just kinda skimmed a few of these.  My boyfriend is a bit poop phobic, I think.  He can't stand it.  He has trouble changing his daughter's diaper - which he does, anyway.  I wanted the cats so I agreed that I would be in charge of the litter boxes.  It's not difficult and I don't mind it at all.  However, he has done it for me when I've been exhausted or overslept and was almost late for work - without me asking.  And he has no issues with any other housework.  Honestly, I can't complain.

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Get him a macho looking litter box with manly litter scoops and camo bags to dispose off the scooped litter

SO and I "divided" the chores when we moved in together 6 years ago. Never talked about it since
. I hate doing dishes, but don't mind vacuuming and such. He's the exact opposite, so that was easy.

We never even talked about the litter I think, the first one to see a mess in it will clean it out.

Sparrow's extreme limit is 1 pee & 1 poop in the box at the same time. Tested that twice, got pee on the carpet both times. We now clean that box at least 3 times/day. Usually back to back. I think I'd be going nuts if I was the only one cleaning it.