How to encourage cat back in

Jayq

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our resident cat stays outside most times now since we have a kitten,
she stays around the area and will eat just outside the house but not indoors
I don't know whether to give her time and let her carry on being outside or to bring her in and see if I can encourage her to get along with him
I know she try's to go straight for the cat flap again.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you gradually introduce the two cats or did you just put the two together and let them work things out?

It seems, to me, that the elder cat is staying outside because she feels like the kitten is taking over the house.

One way to rectify the situation would be to reintroduce the two cats, starting from scratch.

Put the kitten in its own room with the door closed. Give the kitten all the necessities, food, water, litter box, toys, etc. Don't let the kitten out for a day or two. After that, put the elder cat into the same room with the door closed while the kitten roams the house. Swap the two, back and forth, for another couple of days. Next, let both cats out, together, but only while you are supervising. Put them in separate rooms when you can't be there to watch. If one cat starts trying to start a scuffle, say, "Be nice!" If that doesn't work, you can clap your hands and say it louder. If they still don't listen, put both cats in their separate rooms. Once the two cats can be out, supervised, try leaving them alone while you run an errand to the store or something. If that works out, let them out while you go to sleep. Finally, once the two cats learn to get along, let them out full time.

This gradual introduction should take at least a week but, maybe, as long as a month. Sometimes, even longer. It all depends on the cats. Some cats learn to get along faster than others.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote lock the kitten in a room and keep the resident cat inside the house for half the day ….. for a month. Let your resident cat learn the new schedule. Do slow introductions.

I would try putting a dab of pure vanilla extract on the back of each cat’s neck & switching cat beds/cardboard scratchers once a week. When your resident cat is calm as can be, you can try placing the kitten in a carrier and putting your resident cat in the kitten room for an hour. (Site swapping.) Don’t let them see each other & if need be use two carriers covered with a towel. If you can get your resident cat to be calm & to not go super aggressive/charging the door when the kitten’s door is cracked a tiny bit for a week, then I would try a supervised visit. Be sure to distract the kitten with play/electronic toys you rotate & that you give your resident kitty extra tlc/treats when the kitten is out.

⭐ the kitten room needs a litter box, water, food, some toys & a cat bed.