How to encourage better manners at mealtime?

soleiil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two boys understandably get excited when they hear the can of food opening. They meow pretty loudly, I can deal with that. They also run between my feet (kitchen is a tight area) when I bring their bowls to their feeding area...it's a trip hazard but I walk slower now. What I cannot tolerate anymore is the jumping. It is more constant the past few weeks. Once I reach their area with the bowls, they are jumping to grab the bowls out of my hands! Somehow I have not dropped any wet food so far. But last night I was placing their bowls on their mat, I moved my hand quickly so Jasper wouldn't grab the bowl, and his paw got in my eye instead. Luckily his claws were sheathed. How can I stop the jumping? Money is tight so an automatic feeder isn't an option. :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old are your boys? Is it possible they are not getting enough to eat, or maybe the times between meals is too long? Feeby is way too old to be doing that kind of jumping, but on occasion she hightails it to the kitchen when she hears me preparing her food. I've noticed that it is typically when I have made her go longer in between meals (not intentionally, of course). Also, if you have changed their food coincident with the timeline that they started doing this ("It is more constant the past few weeks."), maybe they are not finding the new food as satisfying?

Without knowing the set up to your kitchen, I'll just throw it out there that you could set up gates that each entrance/exit and close them off while preparing the food - then, open them once the food has been set down. Or, you could put them in another room, door closed, until you're ready.

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can relate. Difficult to train when they are anxious for food. Easier to modify your behavior than the cats. In fact, that is kind of one of my cat ownership philosophies. If you need to train the cat, train the cat. If there is another way, give it serious consideration because training is hard.

So...you can either open the food when they aren't around and begging as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner suggested or just be more assertive about making space for yourself to operate. With their eyes on the prize, a little bit of a stomping to back them up and make space to put the dish down is not going to make them scared of you generally or hurt your bond or anything like that. All it will do is get you a sliver of space to operate safely in.

My cat used to jump on the counter and get his nose in the can, then jump down just as I was bending down to put the food on the ground, whacking me with his long tail. I tried putting him on the ground maybe 300 times, but it never seemed to stick as a lesson. I "solved" this by tolerating him on the counter, but gently pushing him away from the can as often as needed and or using elbows as a blocker. Then, when I am ready to put the bowl down, I get him to jump down first by moving the bowl before I bend. And so I no longer get whacked. Woo boy, I outsmarted my cat. After "only" getting whacked by his tail a dozen times; I must be a genius.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd probably try just holding the dishes out of reach and just don't move as they jump. Tell them quiet and when they calm down some then put down the dishes. If they jump or swipe at the dish you pick it up and try again. They will catch on that jumping means no food.

Or shut them out of the room until the bowls are down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soleiil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are both 1 1/2 years old. I stopped free feeding them once they became adults, and their scheduled feedings have been consistently inconsistent as I am a day/night rotator, and the days I work are all over the place. On my days off they are fed once in the morning (between 6-9am), and the evening meal will be about 12 hours after. If I am working they eat at 5 (AM or PM), and I feed them asap when I am at 8 (AM or PM). Overall I thought they understood the weird routine since they had their own routine of hanging outside the door whenever my alarm goes off. The jumping thing is a newer thing so maybe the feeding schedule isn't working out so well anymore. :(

I have been feeding more Fancy Feast, and rotating less brands since the budget has gone down. Maybe they think I'm giving that stuff every meal, cause that food is like crack to them. They inhale every bit of food. :yummy:

The stomping actually does work well but not when it's coming from me. According to my boyfriend I'm not stern enough even though I'm trying to be. :headshake:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have been feeding more Fancy Feast, and rotating less brands since the budget has gone down. Maybe they think I'm giving that stuff every meal, cause that food is like crack to them. They inhale every bit of food. :yummy:
Funny you should mention that - another member called FF 'kitty crack' - and, I kind of believe that too! Feeby started getting 'off' of her regular food and I was concerned a bit about it, so I starting mixing FF with her food and she does eat much more readily and is more vocal about when she thinks it is time for her next meal. I am starting to attribute that to the FF!!!