How to disinfect beds

Mushandthefamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I have these pet beds that were used for my fosters. I’d like to reuse them for my next bundles of joy but don’t know how to disinfect. The beds say I cannot machine wash, only surface. How can I disinfect the bedding to kill flea eggs, any parasites or viruses? I have Rescue, but it says it can’t be used on soft surfaces.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know if it would kill all parasites/germs, but I think many - for my un-washable items, I place them in a dryer at the hottest setting and run the dryer for at least 60 minutes. Your other option is to enclose the items in a sealed garbage bag for at least 30-90 days in a hot location, like a garage. And, even then, I would run them through the dryer. Many parasites/viruses are very sensitive to heat.

i know some of the members on this site have used hydrogen peroxide or a mix of vinegar and water to spray down things like cat trees, and the let them sit in the sun to dry.

What about steam cleaning? Or soaking the bed in hot boiling water with some vinegar, rinsing, and then letting them air dry?

smbsocal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have used Steri-Fab. Fleas are listed as one of the things it kills. A lot of people say it is the go to for bed bugs on furniture, I would assume it would work on fleas just as well.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone. I have these pet beds that were used for my fosters. I’d like to reuse them for my next bundles of joy but don’t know how to disinfect. The beds say I cannot machine wash, only surface. How can I disinfect the bedding to kill flea eggs, any parasites or viruses? I have Rescue, but it says it can’t be used on soft surfaces.
Safest is to use a steam cleaner. It is pet safe and non toxic. High steam temperature kills viruses and and parasites and flea eggs and sanitized at the same time. Can be used on pet beds, cat trees, sanitize toys and such. No chemicals involve and safer than any products that says pet safe.

After steam cleaning , vacuum the area.