How To Determine Mange(sp), And Treat It If Possible Feral, Spayed, Female

Misty's Guardian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The title says it all. She is a black short hair female feral cat. I think she has mange on her left ear. the ear has lost a lot of fur and has ragged edges. I have never seen mange in any cat, so I am not sure that's the problem. I understand mange is very easely transferred to other cats. I feed them ( three cats), on our patio and Misty our inside cat watches just inside our patio door. She has sometimes played "touch the paw" through the slightly open door, and that really scares me! Short of taking Charlie (the black cat), to a vet, is there a way to determine if her ear does have mange? I have previously trapped her and took her to the shelter for spaying. She was not a happy cat then, but now is acting like she might be interested in becoming more friendly. And if she does have mange, how can I treat it? Have any of you dealt with something like this? Any suggestions?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do an image search in google of cat mange and compare with your cat. The ragged edges does sound like mange. It can be treated with Ivermmectin put in her food or Revolution. It is best to take her to the vet if possible though, since their are different type's of mange.

I gave a cat with mange a bath (I did not realize it was mange). I do not recommend this unless you take precautions. I got a bad rash.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Misty's Guardian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestion. I have already looked at several photo's of cats with mange as you suggested. Now I have to determine how to treat her so she does not infest the other cats and mine as well.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read that it is more common in cats with weak immune systems, so your cats may not get it from her. But if you don't treat her, it could make her blind and eventually kill her. Plus it must be miserable to be itching all the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Misty's Guardian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cat that I am concerned about does not scratch very much,could I be wrong that the rough looking ear is not really mange, but something else?