How to Best Clean up Cat Hair

dc1346

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure if  I am posting this in the right forum.

I have cat hair matted on my carpets. The vacuum cleaner isn't sucking this up. Does anyone have a handy suggestion as to how I can lean cat hair off the carpet?

I asked a cousin who does not have cats. His suggestion? Get rid of the cats. That is NOT an option.

Here is Bob lying on one of the carpets in question. You can't see the cat hair from this distance. It's very fine. The only way that I've been able to get cat hair out at this point has been to use a culinary tool called a bench scraper. Scraping the carpet seems to pull up the hair ... but having to manually scrape every square inch of this carpet and 5-6 others is really tedious. 

I have also tried using lint rollers. Lint rollers don't seem to pick up very much and I've expended an entire roller for just a small section of carpet.

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Duct tape! Rip off about an 8 inch long strip, wrap it around your hand with the sticky side up, and just pat over the hairy areas. We've found it works better than any other tape or vacuum!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have also tried using lint rollers. Lint rollers don't seem to pick up very much and I've expended an entire roller for just a small section of carpet.
I have 3 cats and a dog that sheds more than the cats do combined. I vacuum thoroughly. I have a Shark professional and it picks up a lot of hair. I also have a professional carpet machine that pulls hair out of the rug that the dog dropped years ago. 

The duct tape is a good idea. I wonder if wrapping the tape around a Swiffer sweeper base would make it easier to use.. 

Bob is a very handsome boy 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dc1346

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Duct tape! Rip off about an 8 inch long strip, wrap it around your hand with the sticky side up, and just pat over the hairy areas. We've found it works better than any other tape or vacuum!
That is a good idea. I will try it. THANKS!

I have 3 cats and a dog that sheds more than the cats do combined. I vacuum thoroughly. I have a Shark professional and it picks up a lot of hair. I also have a professional carpet machine that pulls hair out of the rug that the dog dropped years ago. 

The duct tape is a good idea. I wonder if wrapping the tape around a Swiffer sweeper base would make it easier to use.. 

Bob is a very handsome boy 
When you say carpet machine are you talking about a steam cleaner? I have a steam cleaner. I don't think I'm using it properly. I build fresh water ponds for a hobby and don't have a problem with installing and maintaining pumps with flexible PVC piping connected to mechanical/UV filters ... and as a chef I use all sorts of kitchen tools ... but the complexity of assembling and using a carpet cleaner seems to have eluded me. (Regretful sigh)

With this being said, I may need to significantly upgrade my vacuum cleaner. I may also need to vacuum more frequently. Don't ask me how often I vacuum. Think confirmed bachelor and you probably have the right idea. (Heh-heh)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That is a good idea. I will try it. THANKS!

When you say carpet machine are you talking about a steam cleaner? I have a steam cleaner. I don't think I'm using it properly. I build fresh water ponds for a hobby and don't have a problem with installing and maintaining pumps with flexible PVC piping connected to mechanical/UV filters ... and as a chef I use all sorts of kitchen tools ... but the complexity of assembling and using a carpet cleaner seems to have eluded me. (Regretful sigh)

With this being said, I may need to significantly upgrade my vacuum cleaner. I may also need to vacuum more frequently. Don't ask me how often I vacuum. Think confirmed bachelor and you probably have the right idea. (Heh-heh)
This is the machine that I have. I figured with 3 cats and an elderly dog who often has accidents (always on the rug of course), it was more cost effective and easier to buy it than to rent a machine all the time

I used to have a Dirt Devil vacuum but it couldn't deal with all the hair. I got the Shark and it's pretty great.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo is black, so you can imagine what he does to my beige carpet. I was looking at it one day and realized it looked dirty, although I had just vacuumed. My vacuum was 25 years old, so I decided to buy a new one. I went to the store, and guess what, those expensive Dysons were on sale! So I bought one, and what a job it did on the carpet! My beige carpet looked new again.

I've found, though, that I have to vacuum regularly (at least once a week) to keep down on the cat hair. I have to empty the collection chamber twice when I do vacuum. There are clouds of black fur in it.

I took the old vacuum to the basement to sweep up kitty litter, and what a pain it is to use. No wonder I was always worn out after using it. I am definitely spoiled by the Dyson. It is so easy to push it around and it does the best job of any vacuum I've had.

For some reason, Mingo's fur doesn't stick to my furniture. I have a microfiber couch, also beige, and nothing sticks to it. If it did, I'd try the duct tape thing.