How Scared Should We Be?

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're a little scared here (this is a new one for me after lots of years of raising kitties) --how concerned should I be that we just realized our 6-year-old, 6 pound kitty "Flick" pulled a large half of a raw chicken breast off of our counter and ate about ⅓ of that half? We're lucky - - none of our current 3 kitties we have ever get on the counters (one has once - but unbelievably, that's it). The part she ate was well over 1 inch thick, and maybe ¾ the size of my palm. In other words - - a darn big chunk. No bones, no skin, the only seasoning my hubby had put on it was minimal - - and nothing remotely poisonous to kitties. Flick's an ex-feral we TNR'd - - -so she's probably eaten alot worse :barf:..... but it still seems like a TON of raw chicken, eaten very quickly. I know chicken in and of itself isn't poisonous or concerning for kitties, but should we be worried - - -if for no other reason than the amount of chicken was so enormous for such a small cat????

Thanks for any answers - - we're probably irrationally worried - - - just need support and answers from my favorite kitty community!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I guess if there's nothing toxic enuff in the seasoning and no bones at all that is harmful to the kitty and it's a one off thing, I shouldn't be too worried about it.

Your kitty was just having a party :party3: by herself indulging in a eat all you can buffet :lol:

Hope that her tummy can stomach all that raw meat and make sure to keep such meat or delicious food under lock and key the next time. Trust me, she'll be there looking for more chicken the next time.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When given raw meat, my little cats have no limits. Mine would eat the chunk you described very, very quickly and would demand some more! No need to worry, IMO :) has she enjoyed it?

Edited to add: don’t be surprised if she won’t poop at her regular schedule, as raw eating cats poop much less often

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't be too worried. I never had a similar situation but once Count accidentally ate two cans and some kibble at the same time and he was fine. Didn't even vomit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom ---as someone I've come to very much respect over the years....thanks for making me laugh hard just when I (and hubby!) need it most! You always know just what to say. And I think you've got the germ of a business for kitties there - - an "all you can eat meat buffet." I think we'd make millions! :flail:

I needed that - - -thanks.

And She's a witch She's a witch - thank you too - - especially since I'd never heard raw meat would make her poop less often!!!! Because that would definitely have worried me - - and now I don't have to about that. Thanks so much!

I love this site - - - and all its caring, smart, wonderful members - - it's the best!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom et al

Flick thanks you for the concern. Luckily she's getting to sleep off "Meat Fest 2019" on a very comfy blanket.

Look how contented she is. :redheartpump:
Next time she could be bringing in the rest of the gang. :flail:

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Seeing as raw chicken makes up half my cats' diet (raw beef the other half), I can tell you that she'll be perfectly fine. Maybe a little full and certainly very smug about what she got away with, but perfectly fine. Saipha and Mishka (pretty good food thieves themselves) congratulate her on her success. :p

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SO glad She's a witch She's a witch warned me about things possibly moving thru being a little slower to move. Because yup - - took her till just about a half hour ago for her to go! And she's an "almost set your watch" by her timing as far as litterbox usage - - always been once in the morning, and once at night. But she just laid there like she didn't want to movement of the night last night.

Later last night (even though everyone's input on this thread made me feel 99.9% better!!!!!!) I still ended up wussing out and going down at 3 am to see how she was. And that sweet little stinker who NEVER bites/scratches/etc - - sunk her claws into me a few times (twice in that nice painful part of your hand between your forefinger and thumb - YOWZA!!!!! She even nipped at my head once! I know it was because she was obviously in discomfort - - I was happy she felt well enough to say "back off mom!"

And this evening - after finally using the litterbox - - she was back to her old cuddly, sweet, purrs even while she eats sweetheart we know and love!!!! So thanks all - - - we made it through and I can't thank everyone for giving great advice and calming me down!!! And Flick says thanks too - - she says thanks for all the advice that kept me from driving her crazy all night. ;)