How Safe Is The Rabies Vaccine On A Older Cat?

Dendi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently rescued two male cat's that are about six years old. I plan to take them to the vet at the same time to get a overall exam plus vaccinations before I can schedule their neuter. My question is how safe is the rabies vaccination on a older kitty? I know I'll have to get it for them regardless I'm just very nervous about it. I was the same way about their flea treatment. When you read about it online you just see nothing but horror stories about how it killed someone's cat, and not to do it. I'm probably just worrying myself to much over nothing, but I was just curious if anyone had any experience with it.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my cat vaccinated for rabies last year in May, when she was 16 yo. And no issues arose from it, she's still fine as she's always been.
Over here the rabies vaccination isn't mandatory, I needed it in order to apply for the European Pet Passport which allows a pet to cross a border. This said, unless necessary, I don't think I will ask my vets for a booster.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
DO be sure to ask for the NON-adjuvanted vaccine. That is NOT associated with the more severe side-effects in cats.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
6 is not very old. If they were older than 14 or so I'd say to use caution. Vaccines are meant to spur an immune response, and sometimes that doesn't work out so well for old cats. Of course anyone can have a reaction to anything, but at their age I don't think the chances of that are very high.