How relieve constipation in cats?

Mypoorbaby222

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help, my poor baby have been crying when he uses the litter box and has hard poops recently. I've completely switch him to a wet food only diet (he doesn't really like the wet food much, but he eats it when he's hungry), but I think he's still a bit backed up. I can't afford to take him to the vet because I am unemployed at the moment. I've been offered an interview for a work from home position (pay sucks but it's something) and if everything works out, I will be able to take him to vet early-mid january.
I hear miralax is good. How much should I give him and how to prepare it? Can I just mix it in his wet food? Or do I let it dissolve in water first and then mix it into his food?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for the mirilax, I'm not sure because I have not used it. I'm sure someone will come along shortly on that.

So just to clarify, he IS pooping though right? And how often?

If he's not eating as much, that could be contributing to his problem. Has the constipation only started AFTER changing his food?

You could add some water to his wet food for extra moisture.

Plain pumpkin puree can help with constipation as it draws up more water into the colon. BUT it is very important that he gets plenty of water or it can have the opposite effect.

You could try adding a hairball paste to his diet. It helps to lubricate his colon to help pass the stool more easily.
In a pinch you can use a small blob or butter or vaseline for a couple of days until you get the hairball paste.

Raw egg yolk (NO WHITES) acts like a laxative in kitties - I have not personally done this myself but others here have so hopefully they will give you the proper dose for that.

So just to be sure and to clarify....

Only choose ONE of these suggestions and allow time for it to work. You do not want to overload your poor kitty with too many things and cause major tummy issues.
Also, if the volume of poop is not very much or he is not going for a while, I would really try to find a way to get to the vet. A blockage/obstruction is deadly and not something you can "wait on", so if you think he may have a blockage, their is no other choice than to go to the vet.
If kitty stops eating, or starts vomiting, acts lethargic or hides, he needs a vet.

I hope a simple remedy works well for you.
With my boy who gets constipated, just using the hairball paste gets things moving in the right direction.
Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mypoorbaby222

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As for the mirilax, I'm not sure because I have not used it. I'm sure someone will come along shortly on that.

So just to clarify, he IS pooping though right? And how often?

If he's not eating as much, that could be contributing to his problem. Has the constipation only started AFTER changing his food?

You could add some water to his wet food for extra moisture.

Plain pumpkin puree can help with constipation as it draws up more water into the colon. BUT it is very important that he gets plenty of water or it can have the opposite effect.

You could try adding a hairball paste to his diet. It helps to lubricate his colon to help pass the stool more easily.
In a pinch you can use a small blob or butter or vaseline for a couple of days until you get the hairball paste.

Raw egg yolk (NO WHITES) acts like a laxative in kitties - I have not personally done this myself but others here have so hopefully they will give you the proper dose for that.

So just to be sure and to clarify....

Only choose ONE of these suggestions and allow time for it to work. You do not want to overload your poor kitty with too many things and cause major tummy issues.
Also, if the volume of poop is not very much or he is not going for a while, I would really try to find a way to get to the vet. A blockage/obstruction is deadly and not something you can "wait on", so if you think he may have a blockage, their is no other choice than to go to the vet.
If kitty stops eating, or starts vomiting, acts lethargic or hides, he needs a vet.

I hope a simple remedy works well for you.
With my boy who gets constipated, just using the hairball paste gets things moving in the right direction.
Good luck!
He poops once per day as usual. He usually poops an hour or so after I give him breakfast, but it has been taking longer and he attempts 2-3 times before he is able to. And the constipation started before I switched his food. His appetite and activity level are fine, he still wakes me up when he's ready to eat. He's just not a fan beef and poultry pates, I've learned. (He scarfed down Purina Fancy Feast Natural Entrees chicken like it's nobody's business and has no problem eating salmon pate. I've heard that feeding him fish based wet foods are not good, so I stopped that altogether. I'm probably going to get more of the fancy feast naturals as a topper, until I can get my hands on Tiki Cat. Not enjoying what you eat sucks, and I think he will love that one.)
Though he has stopped drinking from his fountain after I started feeding him only wet food, so I am kind of hesitant to use a laxative. I'll stop by Walmart tomorrow morning to purchase some hairball paste. I really don't think he has a blockage, but if it does get worse (ie the symptoms you mentioned), then I'll see if I can scrounge up some money from family/friends or take out a loan to get him to a vet. He's my first cat and I would be heartbroken if something happened to him. Thank you for the response!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there M Mypoorbaby222 welcome!

Jem Jem has given awesome suggestions. And yes, please be careful of blockages. Using miralax or other methods if there is a blockage can be harmful.

If you chose to try the miraLAX route (I've used it many, many times in two of my constipated kitties) 1/8 of a teaspoon, twice per day and watch. You may have to up the dosage but it can take up to two-three days to properly begin to work. If nothing after a few days, you can go up to 1/4.

How is kitty peeing? I ask that as often cats with UTI get constipated, even slightly, as the UTI irritates them and they "hold" it. Holding it because it's uncomfortable to go to the bathroom can contribute/cause constipation.

xoxo

Last edited:

WestCoastKitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My thoughts are a small amount on the end of your pinky finger to start - probably a bit less than 1/8th tsp.
Would hate to have very loose stools - but some of the cat laxatives for hairball remedies say up to 1tsp a day - which is a lot. Good luck with your sweetie!
Also, if he’s finicky about his food would you be able to try stage 2 chicken baby food?
I’ve tried Miralax before in water and it does work, however my best results were with a very small (1/8th or less tsp) of plain pumpkin - per my vet, but my cat was also on sub q fluids and was drinking from her fountain (renal failure), so she was hydrated - she just needed to draw water into her colon for the constipation, so the pumpkin worked very well. I’ve never had really great results with butter, but maybe I didn’t give enough.
Start small with the Vaseline and see how it goes overnight -

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I echo adding a couple of tablespoons of water to the wet food. Miralax can help, but it is important to have sufficient water intake when using it.

Is his poop a continuous piece or hard little balls? If it is in balls that is a telltale sign of constipation. How old is your cat? My cat Twyla got really constipated and had to have an enema. The vet xrayed her to check for a blockage and discovered she had arthritis in her hips, so it was probably uncomfortable for her to potty and she was avoiding it, so something to consider. We started her on Dasuquin for arthritis, a fiber response prescription dry food and started adding water to her wet food. She now poops every day with no issues.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed you mentioned that you were trying to steer away from fish. If you are looking at Tiki Cat, you may want to double check the ingredient lists. I discovered that many of their formulas include fish, even if they were listing another meat as primary. Just a little FYI.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Adding some plain canned pumpkin to his diet with his wet food might help. If he doesn't like the wet food you're feeding him, try something else. Fancy Feast pates (or they might be called Classics) seem to be a favorite with kitties.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There may be a low cost vet clinic in your area. Try a Google search and ignore the low cost spay / neuter ones that will probably come up. Banfield, the vet hospital located in many Petsmart stores, has a free first visit but all that is done is a general physical exam of the cat (listen to the heart and lungs, look in the ears, etc). Everything else the cat may need costs extra.

A typical dose of Miralax or equivalent (Miralax is just a brand name. The active ingredient is Polyethylene glycol 3350 ) is 1/8 teaspoon to 1/4 teaspoon up to twice daily. You dissolve the powder in some water and then mix it into food, preferably canned or something moist and tasty like canned tuna.

Give canned pumpkin a try first. You want 100% pumpkin puree, not pie filling. Libby's is one brand name:

Leftover puree can be frozen. Or, if you prefer, head to the pet store and buy one of those pouched pumpkin puree products. Weruva has Pumpkin Patch Up. Soulistic has Pumpkin Puree and you can find this brand more easily at Petco stores.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mypoorbaby222

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There may be a low cost vet clinic in your area. Try a Google search and ignore the low cost spay / neuter ones that will probably come up. Banfield, the vet hospital located in many Petsmart stores, has a free first visit but all that is done is a general physical exam of the cat (listen to the heart and lungs, look in the ears, etc). Everything else the cat may need costs extra.

[/URL][/URL][/URL]

A typical dose of Miralax or equivalent (Miralax is just a brand name. The active ingredient is Polyethylene glycol 3350 ) is 1/8 teaspoon to 1/4 teaspoon up to twice daily. You dissolve the powder in some water and then mix it into food, preferably canned or something moist and tasty like canned tuna.

Give canned pumpkin a try first. You want 100% pumpkin puree, not pie filling. Libby's is one brand name:

Leftover puree can be frozen. Or, if you prefer, head to the pet store and buy one of those pouched pumpkin puree products. Weruva has Pumpkin Patch Up. Soulistic has Pumpkin Puree and you can find this brand more easily at Petco stores.
Hello, I ended up buying the canned pumpkin and it worked! I'm still going to take him to the vet when I start working again, but at least he can have a bowel movement now. Is it safe to give him a bit of canned pumpkin everyday?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I ended up buying the canned pumpkin and it worked! I'm still going to take him to the vet when I start working again, but at least he can have a bowel movement now. Is it safe to give him a bit of canned pumpkin everyday?

Yes. Plain (no spices) pumpkin is fine to give every day. :cool:

Very glad to hear that kitty did some nice pooping! :poop: