How Old For First Cat Tree?

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, new cat owner and forum poster here. I just posted a separate thread in this forum but I had a different question. I have a ten-week old kitten called Percy. We don’t yet have a cat tree for him. Is now a good time to get one, or should I wait until he is a little bit older?

Many thanks for your advice!

CatsAreTheBest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had a kitten that was 3 months (12 weeks) and she was perfectly fine with the cat tree and watched us eating form the top. I think as long as your kitten won't fall of it will be fine.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can get any cat tree or furniture :agree: Maybe start with a fairly low one so your kitten doesn't hurt himself if he takes a tumble off it while running on and off it at top speed.

I bought this when my Aby was a kitten: KittyCityUSA.com - Home I had the original modular pieces, not the newer Steel Claw one. I later upgraded to a sturdy 6 foot tall cat tree.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS :wave3:

By now, Percy should be able to jump and climb. It’s ok to get him the cat tree now. As cat trees have different levels on them, he should have no problems climbing it. Or you can place a low cushion next to the cat tree and let him use as a step to jump up. Most cat tree comes with a ladder for young cats to go up.

My boy started climbing up the sofa at 4 weeks old and so I got him a cat tree. It’s ok to start young.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or you can give your kitten a footstool to help him get up a cat tree. I bought a cat cube for my cat to jump up & down our cat tree since the first step up is around 3.5 feet tall. When he was jumping down on the pergo flooring it was making a loud thunk when he jumps down (I live upstairs.) Also the cat cube is good for kittens to hide/play in. My adult cats like to hunt feather toys outside the cube ;) MidWest Curious Cube for Cats, Brown Suede

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Ten weeks is a perfect age for a small cat tree! I've seen kittens much younger than that climbing, so I'm sure he will be fine. :)