How often?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
How often do you cut your cats front claws? I have not had any cats with front claws before and am looking for advice on keeping Bonds claws blunt so that they don't damage skin or doors.

I am not going to declaw Bond he leaves my furnature alone for the most part and he doesn't scratch me so I see no need to have it done. But I do want to keep his claws short as possable.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
How often do you cut your cats front claws? I have not had any cats with front claws before and am looking for advice on keeping Bonds claws blunt so that they don't damage skin or doors.
I trim my boy’s nails once a week but you may want to do it every fortnight. I don’t mind my boy scratching my stuffs but he runs a lot and longer nails have no grip on the wooden floor so I trim it shorter so that he can take fast corners.

The other way is if you can hear Bond’s claws while walking, it’s too long already.

A recent thread here :- Claw trimming

IMG_2512.JPG

IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie takes care of her claws. Coco I guess ,has never learned in 8 years I've had her. She has ver y thin claws that seem to grow fast. She is a lap cat so when her claws poke me I know it's time

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I trim my boy’s nails once a week but you may want to do it every fortnight. I don’t mind my boy scratching my stuffs but he runs a lot and longer nails have no grip on the wooden floor so I trim it shorter so that he can take fast corners.

The other way is if you can hear Bond’s claws while walking, it’s too long already.

A recent thread here :- Claw trimming

IMG_2512.JPG

IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG
Ouch! That looks painful

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hers are then sharp see through needles that grow fast. Wish I could see them and cut fast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Bond is a bit squirmy that's the only problem I have. Its not difficult once I have him sitting on his back end. I do think I will start dooing it frequent enough to recede the quicks a bit. They aren't crazy long but I want to keep his front claws short as possable.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please don’t declaw any cat….i rescued a cat about 10 years ago (indoor cat)
who’s previous owners had her declawed. When she jumped down from some where she would cry, this occurred for quite awhile until her paws healed.Plus very difficult when they used a littler box, would need something that wouldn’t get into wound. I think in most States it’s against the law. Plus if they ever got outside they wouldn’t have any defense against another animal, not able to climb..

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I already said I'm not plannining on declawing Bond. I just want to trim his claws with a scissor tool called a claw cutter. Looks just like a pair of kids scissors with a curved ditch.

Declawing is legal where I live but crazy expensive. Over $2k just for front ones so its not worth it considering Bond has no intrest in the furnature and has already learned inhibition.

He only scratched me once but it was my fault for pushing his buttons.
Please don’t declaw any cat….i rescued a cat about 10 years ago (indoor cat)
who’s previous owners had her declawed. When she jumped down from some where she would cry, this occurred for quite awhile until her paws healed.Plus very difficult when they used a littler box, would need something that wouldn’t get into wound. I think in most States it’s against the law. Plus if they ever got outside they wouldn’t have any defense against another animal, not able to climb..

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do my cats as needed. Usually they'll poke or scratch and that's when I know to check them both. Sometimes I only have to trim a few nails on each paw. Sometimes just snip the long one. It depends. I reward with a treat after. Mine are squirmy but they're not very old. I think the more you do it the easier it gets.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As needed. It usually ends up being every 4-8 weeks with mine, depending, but I've found as my cats get older, their nails need a little more help. Sarah especially gets very long back nails if I don't keep up with them. I've taken to using a grinder on low to keep them shorter and smoother, and this helps extend the time between clippings. (I do not use the grinder on her front nails.)
IMO taking a little off at a time often is preferable. It will help with training them to accept paw handling/nail clipping and will lessen the chance of cutting the nails too short.
Don't forget treats and a lot of pets afterwards. :)

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I trim them when I can feel their needles poking me. 🙂 I’d say every 10-14 days?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Every two weeks at least here. Cal's claws click otherwise. As they get older, the claws grow slower and you can trim less.
Some cats have longer "wicks" than others and you can't clip as short. You need to clip more frequently then.

For me, I find fear-free is best. So I do one or two at first until they are more used to it and get less wiggly. Now, I do all 3 cats in less than 5 minutes on a good day. Maybe in 10 or 15 minutes on a poor day.

PS. You've gotten some comments on declawing because the way you're writing it is that you would declaw a cat if it was affordable and it was scratching furniture. Declawing a cat is an amputation up to the knuckle and causes adverse health and behavioral issues. That's why people are trying to educate. Just an FYI.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
As needed. It usually ends up being every 4-8 weeks with mine
:yeah: Same here.

Carleton has a difficult time with nail trimming. I know it's time when I give him his nightly medicine and he gives me a south paw. :biggrin:

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
when my girl cat was younger about ever 2-3 weeks they'd get a quick trip. she had small, thin, needle like claws. she is older and her claws are much thicker and less pokey so she only gets a trim once a month.

You might want to get some scratching posts and other surfaces for your cat to use. I like this one because it is very tall and heavy. You want one tall enough for your cat to fully stretch out and heavy enough with a wide base that they can't tip it over. I have 3 of those in the living room plus 3 other smaller scratcher posts and objects.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cut them once a month when giving them their Revolution Plus. I may do Boone's more than once a month if I notice it starting to hurt when he is kneading on me.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
So far once a week seems to be working to keep them short. He is however very squirmy thinks I'm playing.

Going from behind seems to keep him restrained enough to do it.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Miles gets his front Claws done every other week . Jackpot lucky if he gets his claws trimmed once a month. Jackpot is just a squirmy wormy and difficult to hold takes two people to hold him.