How often do you brush your cats fur?

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat likes to be brushed, although she doesn't hold still. I tell her she'd never make a show cat. I brush her almost every day because more than a tiny bit of hair makes her throw up. She doesn't barf those huge hair logs like some cats, it's usually little clumps. If I brush everyday there is no throwing up.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! Some cats like it some don't. The younger in their lives that you start, the better the odds they will grow accustomed to it.

How often to brush a cat's hair kind of depends on the cat. Some need it daily, others can benefit from 2-3 times a week, and yet once a week is sufficient for other cats. I see no reason to even think about wetting down a cat's hair before brushing, if not careful it can backfire and create mats - BUT, you can take unscented, hypo-allergenic wipes to 'finish off' a brushing session. That seems take away most of the hair that was loosened but not entirely removed by brushing.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I brush my Maine Coon 2 to 3 times a week, daily when they’re in shed. I deshed with an undercoat rake once a week, as well, twice during shedding season.

I see no reason to even think about wetting down a cat's hair before brushing, if not careful it can backfire and create mats
I was taught by a professional groomer to never brush LH cats dry, as it causes static which damages fur and creates more tangles as you brush. You can mist with water, though I tend to use a bit of conditioning spray as I live in a really dry climate.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was taught by a professional groomer to never brush LH cats dry, as it causes static which damages fur and creates more tangles as you brush. You can mist with water, though I tend to use a bit of conditioning spray as I live in a really dry climate.
The OP asked about 'wet vs dry', that is why I said what I said. I would not try to groom a 'wet' cat myself, as I am not a professional groomer.

But yes, a cat - even one who is not long haired - that has a tendency toward static build up, then adding to the entire process another unscented, hypo-allergenic wipe pre-brushing certainly would be helpful.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 2 long hair cats. One loves being groomed. The other, it's a constant struggle though has gotten better as she matures.

For long hair cats a comb is much better than a brush. The comb will get down into the coat, which a brush can't do. I also use a deshedding tool on them, especially the older one since she's on the pudgy side and doesn't reach all areas as well as she used to. Her coat, though, is on the silky side and typically does not mat much.

The younger one has a double undercoat so she gets deshedded about 1x a week as long as she's being cooperative. I comb her out pretty much daily especially around her back end as she's more prone to matting than the older one.

Our prior cat was short haired but a bit plush and he also loved being groomed.

No need to wet a cat down to comb or brush them but, if you bath the cat you do need to comb out afterwards.

I have used unscented pet wipes as an in between way to clean them up, get excess dust and dander removed.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had two cats who didn't care for brushing at all. My current fur kid loves it. She seems to require a lot of attention. She doesn't help herself with desk or lap sitting like the two previous. So she gets brushed several times a day because she enjoys it, and it relaxes her. I guess she loves the stimulation overload because she will brush her face against something while I brush her body. The one time I made the mistake thinking that meant she wasn't interested in my brushing effort, she looked back at me like, "why did you stop? Can't I have both?" 😹 😻

I only dry brush. I trust her to keep her white coat cleaner than I ever could. 🤦‍♂️😹

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I use a short bristle brush to comb my boy's fur several times a day especially if he has just gotten up from his nap and also use sticky roll to pick up the loose hair from his bedding.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Minish is shorthair. She likes her head and neck brushed but won't tolerate lower body brushing. When I catch her around naptime, 3 headstrokes, 2 body strokes, 2 head, 1 body and I get the warning. So I brush her every chance I get, for about 15 seconds each

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine get brushed every week to every two weeks, depending on how they're doing. Two are short haired and one is long haired. They're all pretty good at cleaning themselves, and I just brush them so they don't get hairballs.

They don't really like the grooming sessions, but will tolerate perhaps five minutes' worth of brushing in a session.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello cat lovers!
Do cats like when you brush them? And is it better to brush a cat wet or dry?
Buddy was obsessed with my hairbrush since coming home in late February. I started off brushing him before bedtime, as I discovered it relaxed him (he does a bunny flop), but then he started demanding it all the time. He would get up on the bathroom lavatory and knock it to the floor. I've since cut him down to a brushing after every meal, and got him his own cat brush (Safari brand). He still likes my brush best, but it doesn't get any fur, so I like his cat brush better. Buddy is the first cat I have known that was addicted to the brush. I've never tried a wet brush, or getting him wet.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Zorro is terrified of that evil demon thingy shown above and runs and hides until I make it go away.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got one of those grooming arches online. The cats seem to like it and I find fuzzies on the bristles, so I know it's doing some good. I don't think it will eliminate brushing, but the cats seem to have less matting after a month's time.

They were so aggressive in its use when I first got it that they knocked it apart. That's not a problem now.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got one of those grooming arches online. The cats seem to like it and I find fuzzies on the bristles, so I know it's doing some good. I don't think it will eliminate brushing, but the cats seem to have less matting after a month's time.

They were so aggressive in its use when I first got it that they knocked it apart. That's not a problem now.
You mean one of these?

View media item 423021
Krista loved this so much. It was a sad two weeks when I had to take it away from her until her mouth healed from a "remaining mouth extraction" (her mouth was hardly full by the time the dentist finally ended her struggles with resorptive lesions.) Betty enjoys this as well. But she also loves a good brushing. And if I don't brush her, she'll brush herself against my beard. 😽🧔

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Couldn't see your attachment. Mine is a small scratcher base that has an arch of stiff bristle brush that snaps into the base. The cats rub it as they pass through and around it and it takes loose hair out of their coat.

I have one that likes to groom herself on my toothbrush standing in the holder in the bathroom. Yuk!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Couldn't see your attachment. Mine is a small scratcher base that has an arch of stiff bristle brush that snaps into the base. The cats rub it as they pass through and around it and it takes loose hair out of their coat.

I have one that likes to groom herself on my toothbrush standing in the holder in the bathroom. Yuk!
It sounds like the same wire brush arch that Krista and now Betty adore. 😻👍

frocky the cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my Maine coon hates being brushed he had such bad matts that he had to go to the vets to get some of them shaved off