How My Kitties Are Helping Me Get Through Tough Times

HaLo2FrEeEk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Warning: This is a long post. I hope it's in the right place. If you don't want to read it all there is a "too long; didn't read" at the very end.

Introductions first. I'm 28, I work at a company that manufactures snowboards (mainly), as a finisher. I take the "raw" snowboard, which is a rectangle with curved up ends, start with cutting it out on a bandsaw and end with polishing, removing the protective coat on the top artwork and putting a sticker with my name on it. Monday through thursday, 3:30pm to 2am. It's an awesome job and I absolutely love it. I get to work with my hands in a super laid back shop environment. During the interview I responded to a description of all the things that a finisher does by saying "that sounds like heaven," and I wasn't far off. It's a very physically demanding job, and for the most part we're left alone as we go about our work, which means I can pop headphones in my listening holes and laser-focus on my job. At first I listened to music, but I quickly changed to audio books. The problem with music is that you can tune it out when you're doing something you're familiar with, which leaves plenty of unused brain for thinking. Not always a good thing. Audio books make you pay attention. I'm familiar with making snowboards, I don't have to think about it like I did when I was learning, so I need something else to occupy my mind. Anyway, that's me, here's the kitties.

Primrose (I call her Prim, or primprim, or sugar face...there are a lot of nicknames. Primrose is for when she's in trouble) is a 4 year old calico. I got her when she was about 9 weeks old from my friend's mom. The moment I saw the litter, my eyes went straight to her. I've always had a thing for uniqueness, not just in cats, I like making and building things that are one-of-a-kind, I find it charming and special. Naturally, there being an infinite number of variations of patterns in a calico, it appealed to me. I also already had another calico named Katniss, so the name kinda came naturally (if you've seen Hunger Games). Prim is just gorgeous. Her eyes are normally a light yellow, but they change with her mood. When she's on my lap getting all the daddy attention, they're bright emerald green. When she's irritated, they get darker copper colored.

IMG_20180226_044501[1].jpg

Graycie is almost a year old. She's gray. Not solid gray, she has a beautiful pattern, especially on her face. Her eyes are normally gold around the outside with green around the pupil, but I recently noticed that her eyes change with her mood too. Last night she was getting some cat-gasmic chin scratches and I noticed that her eyes were now green around the outside with light blue around the pupil! Super pretty. 15 minutes after I'd stopped petting her, they had gone back to gold/green. Graycie is a sweet girl, still has some kitten tendencies and likes to knock stuff off of high places, like a heavy airless paint sprayer that was up on a shelf and which, magically, didn't break anything when it fell the 7 or so feet to the concrete floor. We got Graycie from a friend when she was 7 weeks old (but weaned and litter box trained like a pro) while we had Prim and my (now ex) girlfriend's cat Calvin.

IMG_20180226_044523[2].jpg

View attachment 221822

If life has taught me anything, it's that crap happens. Mid-december, the girlfriend and I broke up after more than 2 years together. Literally, one minute everything was fine, we were headed back from the farmer's market that she'd been wanting to make a trip to for weeks, the next minute we were arguing about something stupid and she was packing all of her stuff into her car. The next day she came back to get the rest of the stuff while I was at work, then left, sending me a text saying she was sorry and she loved me. The following weeks were a rollercoaster, obviously. Within a few days I had myself thinking that this was a good thing. We argued a lot, we're both incredibly stubborn and proud, and that caused stress. I had also just started a new job a week prior after being unemployed for a month. The unemployment caused a lot of stress, but we had pulled through, and the new job didn't go away with her. Basically I was remembering all the stressful times and that had me feeling confident that the breakup, although painful, was ultimately a good thing. I'd learned a lot about myself, and grew and matured in ways that I seriously needed to, over that two years. Just because she was gone didn't mean that I had to lose all that personal progress. I maintained that confidence for a few weeks, all the while she's being just rotten to me through text, literally blaming everything on me while telling me that I need to take responsibility for my mistakes. Now, I'm not a saint, but one thing I am is honest. I've lied and been lied to way too much and my momma raised a good man. My dad also instilled a sense of pride and responsibility. Granted it may have taken a while for me to pull my head out, but I finally learned. I can count on one hand the number of serious screw ups from me during the 2+ year relationship, and I never denied a single thing. I also asked for forgiveness and never made the same mistake again, because after the first time it's not a mistake, it's a choice. That said, for her to tear me down even further by putting all the blame on me while telling me I never take responsibility was...painfully ironic.

Anywho, we broke up 3 months ago, just a few weeks before Christmas (for which I had 11 days off in a row from work, 5 of which were paid). Over the last couple of weeks I've started to fall a little more into depression and I've been finding it more and more difficult to pull myself out. Last weekend was particularly bad. I "quit" drinking almost a year ago (march 31st, actually). I say "quit" because I still allow myself the occasional special-occasion beer. One is my self-imposed limit. The last beer I had before the breakup was november 11th, ex-girlfriend's birthday, and I didn't finish it. First beer I had after the breakup was new years eve, with a friend, at around 9pm (so not even party time yet). I had one two weekends ago as well, just a random occasion to go out and socialize. Last weekend, I was feeling super down and my will broke and I went out and had a beer. It may not seem like a big deal, but I felt like I'd failed. When I quit drinking it was a matter of lose the alcohol or lose the woman I loved (ex girlfriend). It was an easy choice. Since that day I still have not had liquor, but like I said I have had a few beers (and always with her "permission" or "blessing" or whatever you want to call it. I always made sure she was ok with it before I had it) The whole situation is definitely one of the fingers on which I count my serious screw ups. For me to go out and have a beer 2 weekends in a row made me feel even worse. It wasn't until mid-way through my weekend that I realized why I felt so lonely. I spend most of my at-home time in the garage. I've got my computer set up in here with a recliner and a workbench. It's my man-cave, and I have the kitties out with me 99% of the time (even when I'm at work, they love it in here). This weekend was part of the 1%. My roommate had asked me to move them into my bedroom before I left for work thursday evening because she needed to work on something in the garage with the door open. When I got home from work at 2am friday I was so pooped that I went into the garage, put a youtube video on and passed out, well into friday afternoon. For some reason the lack of kitties never really hit me until saturday night (after I'd gone out and had the beer). It hit me like a sack of bricks though. I brought them out (along with their food/water bowls and litter box. Like I said they love it in here) and immediately started to feel less lonely. I talk to them, kitty-talk mostly, they snuggle with me and they're always up for being pampered and petted. It had an immediate effect and I realized that if I hadn't had them during the hardest part of the breakup, I'm not sure what condition I'd be in. Depressed me is a weak-willed me, I've come to realize. To say they saved my life is a bit dramatic, but they certainly helped me. I've always loved animals. Dogs are great, they're dopey and adorable and love unconditionally, I love dogs. Cats though...cats are picky. If a cat loves you, it actually loves you. Prim loves me, she is daddy's girl through and through. I come home from work and she's curled up in the laundry basket cuddling my clothes, I say "hello babies" and she meows a greeting at me and yawns, I walk over and pet her and she starts purring madly before I even get to her. She doesn't do that with anyone else, she doesn't really like most other people (much like myself). She's not a forced snuggler, she wants to snuggle when she wants to snuggle, and it's usually not for long unless I'm asleep. She gets annoyed at being jostled around as I move my legs to find a comfortable position to lay or something, so she jumps down until I'm asleep. I wake up with her almost every day though. Graycie, on the other hand, she's a snuggler. She doesn't care if she gets bumped around while I get comfortable, she just wants to snuggle! Even the first night we brought her home, when we went to bed she hopped up and curled up on top of the blanket between my legs. She'll usually stay all night, but only recently started to really enjoy being petted. The combination of the two brings a smile to my face, and I don't know what I'd do without them. Oh, I also love that I can do the "cat I love you" at them, where I make eye contact then slowly close and open my eyes, and they do it back every time.

Long story short, if you read it all: the last few months have certainly helped me better appreciate my babies, and I'd be stupid to think for a moment that they don't know what they're doing. Depressed daddy doesn't play with and pet them as much, they know I need comforting and they don't hesitate for a moment. Cats are really just the best.

tl;dr: breakups suck and hurt, kitties make everything better.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: You weren't lying when you said it was a long post! I read the whole thing, though skimmed a bit through the relationship part. ;)
Prim and Graycie are both beautiful. :catlove: I'm glad you have them to bring you comfort when you are feeling low.:petcat:

Sorry about your breakup. Hope your heart heals soon. And do consider talking to your doctor about things, if you feel the depression is getting worse, or overwhelming. :heartshape:

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome! My previous cat, Gwen, was a perfect furry angel during some very tough times during our 15 years together, so I absolutely agree that cats are wonderful in helping us to get through life. They're great listeners, too! ;)

I'm so glad you have your cats to love and support you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HaLo2FrEeEk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: You weren't lying when you said it was a long post! I read the whole thing, though skimmed a bit through the relationship part. ;)
Prim and Graycie are both beautiful. :catlove: I'm glad you have them to bring you comfort when you are feeling low.:petcat:

Sorry about your breakup. Hope your heart heals soon. And do consider talking to your doctor about things, if you feel the depression is getting worse, or overwhelming. :heartshape:
I tend to start typing and just keep going. Just think, if that's how I type (and talk), imagine what my brain is doing, like, all the time. As far as seeing a doctor, I know this is temporary. No one expects it to be easy to reprogram your heart and mind after you thought the rest of your life was planned out. I know it'll pass.

Welcome! My previous cat, Gwen, was a perfect furry angel during some very tough times during our 15 years together, so I absolutely agree that cats are wonderful in helping us to get through life. They're great listeners, too! ;)

I'm so glad you have your cats to love and support you.
It's nice to know that any time I'm feeling lonely, they're always there to love you.

Thank you for the kind replies, both of you :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to TCS, to you, and Prim, and Graycie, and the memory of Katniss, for that matter. We're thrilled to have you here. Yes, cats do make everything better, don't they?

OH...if you would like to, you may click on this link Crossing the Bridge and post a tribute to your Katniss. It certainly is not a place ONLY for those whose loss is very recent.

upload_2018-3-9_18-53-44.jpeg

upload_2018-3-9_18-54-32.jpeg

HaLo2FrEeEk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS, to you, and Prim, and Graycie, and the memory of Katniss, for that matter. We're thrilled to have you here. Yes, cats do make everything better, don't they?

OH...if you would like to, you may click on this link Crossing the Bridge and post a tribute to your Katniss. It certainly is not a place ONLY for those whose loss is very recent.

View attachment 222038
View attachment 222039
I certainly had my sadness over Katniss already, that was coming up on 2 years ago. As far as I know she's still alive and happy with her new family, who looked like a perfect family for her. Mom and Dad and a young daughter, and Katniss always loved kids. I'm happy knowing that she got into a good home where she'll be loved and appreciated, I know it could have turned out differently.

Also, I LOVE that second picture you put, I think I might print that off a few times and put it up on the walls in the shop in random places :D

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
6C8DD83A-E7F0-4BA8-8C88-55FEF3B8915D.gif
HaLo2FrEeEk, Prim and Gracie, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
4CFE0736-8ED8-4015-A426-0F2E7AE5751A.gif

So
B795E7C1-3BDC-440D-A720-325239CEC38E.gif
that you are going through this rough patch but thank goodness, you have your kitties with you
CDAE2E59-B77F-4675-9317-4163F2461841.gif

This is a wonderful caring community, you’ll always have a shoulder to lean on whenever you need one :wink:

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your cats are adorable! I can definitely sympathize with what you are going through. I had a bad breakup a few years ago and I sank into deep depression and started to do a lot of things I normally would never had done. I made a mess of my life. It took a hurt feral mother to pull me out of it. I'm so thankful for her. She truly rescued me!

HaLo2FrEeEk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's crazy how the simplest little things make me smile, like Prim curled up in a tight ball on top of the clothes in the hamper or Graycie sprawled out taking up a much of the recliner as physically possible.

I finally managed to get my old phone "fixed" and turned on and found an old picture of Katniss.

IMG_20141212_235314482.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm happy knowing that she got into a good home where she'll be loved and appreciated, I know it could have turned out differently.
OOPS! I was so focused on "he lost his Katniss" that I entirely blocked out the fact that she was rehomed! And what a beautiful torbie she is!

By all means, use the picture. I found it by googling "cat snowboard images." There were a BUNCH, some you might like even better!

HaLo2FrEeEk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lol, do you feel like you've been "glommed onto" here :thumbsup:
I am SO glad the cats weren't the ex's, and that you have them
oh, the joy of 'no judgement' - :catrub:
She did take Calvin, which is sad, he really loved me. And I him. I am glad that I kept Graycie though, she asked who was taking her when she was leaving, I'm glad I get to have another baby that I get to watch grow up and no one can take away from me.

Thank you for all the kind words, all of you, I really appreciate it. It feels good to know I've got some people I can talk to, at least about kitties :)

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep,breakups suck. I got lucky. Tho she kept our cats,I get to visit them one weekend a month. Kim and I get along much better this past year than we did during our 3 year relationship. And we still text almost every day.

You have a great story,and you told it well. Thanks for posting it! Welcome,and feel free to share if you need to vent or need encouragement. Lots of kind and supportive people here.

HaLo2FrEeEk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's how it is with my ex wife and I. It took almost 2 years after the separation before we started talking again, but now many years later we're the best of friends. I don't see that happening with this ex girlfriend. Partly because she moved 2500 miles away back to TX, also because we kinda went straight into dating, we skipped the friendship building process. Also she's not mature enough yet to admit that in any failed relationship the blame is split pretty evenly, each person has their fault and blame to take. I've more than accepted my portion of the blame, but she refuses to admit that she had any part in it. That's not something I can gloss over.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for all the kind words, all of you, I really appreciate it. It feels good to know I've got some people I can talk to, at least about kitties :)
And most anything else, when you get to know and be more comfortable with us. There's the "What's On Your Mind?" thread, where anything non-controversial is fine, and the "IMHO" sub-forum for stuff that is controversial, and PM for the stuff you really would prefer to keep private. But...bottom line...we're here for each other!