How much wet food does your kitten eat?

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats are 7.5 months and about 8 pounds, from what I understand is in the normal weight range. They get fed 3oz each wet food 2x a day (a variety of flavors and textures of their favorite Tiki Cat foods.) I’d say they eat about 2/3 to 1/2 of it at each meal time. The rest gets discarded as it gets stale.

Thinking I should serve less at each mealtimes and feed 3x a day
This is what I am basing the amount of food on:

“Many wet foods come in three-ounce cans and recommend feeding approximately one can a day for every three to three and a half pounds of body weight. However, brands vary. A happy, healthy cat will maintain a good weight and stay active.
How Much Wet Food Does a Cat Need Every Day?

Curious on how many oz of wet food your cats actually eat, and feeding schedule? I know kittens need more feedings, but my kitties are transitioning to young adult phase, so just curious what others are doing.

Babycat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You throw away their food? That brand is expensive but if that’s what you do...more power to you.

my little girl is almost 5 mths old n about 5 lbs. I feed her fancy feast kitten 1/4 can 4x a day plus a small spoon full of blue buffalo kitten kibble. She gets treats thru out the day too. I add a bit of water to the wet food as well just for extra moisture as she doesn’t drink much.
im gonna have to transition her to 3x a day but am not sure when to start. Your kitties r just a cpl mths older. Did you always feed 2x a day? are they strictly indoor cats? My girl is indoor/ outdoor so she might eat something out there that idk about.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are 7.5 months and about 8 pounds, from what I understand is in the normal weight range. They get fed 3oz each wet food 2x a day (a variety of flavors and textures of their favorite Tiki Cat foods.) I’d say they eat about 2/3 to 1/2 of it at each meal time. The rest gets discarded as it gets stale.

“Many wet foods come in three-ounce cans and recommend feeding approximately one can a day for every three to three and a half pounds of body weight. However, brands vary. A happy, healthy cat will maintain a good weight and stay active.

Curious on how many oz of wet food your cats actually eat, and feeding schedule? I know kittens need more feedings, but my kitties are transitioning to young adult phase, so just curious what others are doing.
I would feed 2 cans a day split 3x or more for one of my cats,9pds active. My other 2 cats less.7 and 8 pds. Of course, they are adult. I think you are feeding the right amount for each kitten.. that's how much they ate at that age

• Purraise
Reactions: HAS

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It very much depends on how many calories are in that 3oz can. I never follow the feeding directions on the can and I don't free feed my boy. I feed him whenever he's hungry.

A normal active adult cat needs roughly 200 - 250 calories per day. Growing cats in your case needs 250 - 300 calories a day and since your cats are entering into the adult phase, they will be going through a growth spurt and they tend to eat more than normal. Let them eat as much as they can eat at one sitting. Cats before reaching maturity are still considered kittens and they need all the nutrients and proteins in wet food to aid their growth in their formative year. Best is feed them with food labeled 'For Kittens' and slowly transit them over to adult food when they mature or get them food labeled 'For All Life Stages' which can be fed to kittens throughout adult years.

My boy is on food labeled 'For All Life Stages' since the very first day and he's past 5 years old now.

My boy's food comes in 3oz cans and it has 49 calories and he eats around 5 cans each day. Food that are not finished are wrapped up with catering film and kept in room temperature as with the new cans. Usually I'll keep the balance for about 4 - 5 hours and if he eats it again during hat time, I'll feed the balance to him plus extra from new can if he wants more. But my boy is ver fussy as if he smells that the used can does not smell appetizing to him, he'll not touch it and I'll open a new can for him. All in all, maybe I'll waste 3/4 to a can in a day.

But most cats are different, so you have to find out their eating habits.

• Purraise

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’d say they eat about 2/3 to 1/2 of it at each meal time. The rest gets discarded as it gets stale.

That's a lot of unnecessary waste. Why not just give your cats what they will eat at meal time and save the rest of the can in the fridge for the next meal? Canned food is a cooked product and can keep in the fridge for a few days. You can even freeze it and take out as needed. Add a little warm water to the cold food to warm it up and moisten it.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Cats can be drama queens about there food. If they're not very hungry, they won't eat food sticking to the bottom of their bowl I use a spoon to give the food a stir and shape it back into a ball/mound while they're still eating, that usually gets them to eat a lot more of it.

For older kittens. I feed 30cal. per pound, which is just a little more than whats in an ounce of rich pate. Foods that are in gravy or are fish based are usually 15-20cal/ounce. For my 8lb kitten, its three 3oz cans plus one 1.3oz "single portion packets like sheba/nutro mixed into their breakfast.

If all the bowls are licked clean I'll give they get a less healthy 4th meal like splitting a 5.5oz friskies or something high in fish... which they never finish.

• Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You throw away their food? That brand is expensive but if that’s what you do...more power to you.

my little girl is almost 5 mths old n about 5 lbs. I feed her fancy feast kitten 1/4 can 4x a day plus a small spoon full of blue buffalo kitten kibble. She gets treats thru out the day too. I add a bit of water to the wet food as well just for extra moisture as she doesn’t drink much.
im gonna have to transition her to 3x a day but am not sure when to start. Your kitties r just a cpl mths older. Did you always feed 2x a day? are they strictly indoor cats? My girl is indoor/ outdoor so she might eat something out there that idk about.
It is pricey, and I hate the waste. I’m going to try buying the smaller cans, and splitting that.

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a lot of unnecessary waste. Why not just give your cats what they will eat at meal time and save the rest of the can in the fridge for the next meal? Canned food is a cooked product and can keep in the fridge for a few days. You can even freeze it and take out as needed. Add a little warm water to the cold food to warm it up and moisten it.
Good idea. They can be a bit picky about leftovers 🐈⬛🐈🙄 do I think I am going to try splitting the 3oz cans instead of the 6oz at mealtime. Should cut down on waste 🤞

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats can be drama queens about there food. If they're not very hungry, they won't eat food sticking to the bottom of their bowl I use a spoon to give the food a stir and shape it back into a ball/mound while they're still eating, that usually gets them to eat a lot more of it.

For older kittens. I feed 30cal. per pound, which is just a little more than whats in an ounce of rich pate. Foods that are in gravy or are fish based are usually 15-20cal/ounce. For my 8lb kitten, its three 3oz cans plus one 1.3oz "single portion packets like sheba/nutro mixed into their breakfast.

If all the bowls are licked clean I'll give they get a less healthy 4th meal like splitting a 5.5oz friskies or something high in fish... which they never finish.
Love this advice, thanks!

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
\
Good idea. They can be a bit picky about leftovers 🐈⬛🐈🙄 do I think I am going to try splitting the 3oz cans instead of the 6oz at mealtime. Should cut down on waste 🤞
"Refrigerate and re-serve uneaten food" I really common advice in forums. I've lived with 9 cats over the years, None of them eat leftovers, no matter how its stored.

If I smear liquid treats like squeeze-ups, on food leftovers, they will eat the squeeze up and some of the food it touches, about 50/50 ratio, If I mix in more food that they wont eat it at all, the food can't be more than a couple of hours old, has to be stored in an air tight container like a ziplock bag with extra air squeezed, food has to be allowed to come back up to room temperature, not heated.

...its a hassle, those liquid treats are 50cents/0.5oz, and not particularly healthy. For me it's only worth the effort for foods that are very heathy and very expensive, Ill save a $3-4 can of Tikicat after dark is worth saving... but their main foods (4health,fancy feast, authority) go right in the trash.