How Much Water Is Too Much?

PaulinPilsen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My new 13 month old kitten-cat drinks a lot of water. She drinks more than any other healthy cat I have ever owned. She prefers the dry food, so on one hand, I’m glad she drinks the water for the moisture. She visits the water bowl often throughout the day.

But I had a cat who died of CKD and I remember how that cat got into the water much more than before the CKD. Anyway, what are thoughts out there? How much water is too much? Or is there such a thing as too much water, and I should be glad she likes it so much?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I cannot imagine a cat ever having too much water!! But, if you really think it is cause for concern, you could have a urinalysis/blood work done, just as a precaution. Not saying anything is wrong, but there are some cats whose genetic backgrounds are predisposed to early kidney issues. If that would be the case, best to find out as early as possible and treat it. Many cats who have kidney issues found and treated early can live long, long happy healthy lives.

Besides, the tests, especially the blood work up, is a good thing to have as a baseline for future testing comparisons.

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
more than 50 ml for kg of weight is a lot, more than 100 ml is frankly pathological. So first of all, make sure of how much is she really drinking. Consider that, from a regular large bowl on the floor in a room, around 10-15 ml evaporate every day (yes, I've made lots of test. We had the same problem!)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
By all means, check for kidney issues and for diabetes. If neither of those things are present, and she is healthy and active, let her have at it. Hekitty sucks back water like a camel in August. LOL, at 11 years old, I've hauled her in for kidney and diabetes checks about 22 times, due to her water consumption. The last time, my poor, long-suffering vet said, "She healthy, fat and thirsty. Try to get a LITTLE weight off of her, and STOP WORRYING SO MUCH! She's fine, and we'll do another check at her annual physical!"

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Besides, the tests, especially the blood work up, is a good thing to have as a baseline for future testing comparisons.
I cannot stress the importance of blood work enough especially for a baseline. That way if anything changes in your cat's health the vet has a good guideline for reference. It's possible she is drinking more water due to eating dry food which can make her thirsty. I also thought renal or diabetes as a possibility for too much water consumption but definitely check with your vet before getting too worried.

Here are several threads with questions about cats drinking a lot of water:
Why is too much water bad?
Is She Drinking Too Much?
Water Intake : How Much Is Too Much?

WinniesMomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also agree about the blood tests. Could be a medicalmedical your kitty is drinking so much, so better to have that checked out to be safe.