Water Intake : How Much Is Too Much?

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about dehydration for Vega. No matter how much water I add to her wet food, she'll finish. Actually, she always finish water before food. A huge soup fan, I guess :spew: I tried once to add as much as double volume of food of water, she didn't leave a drop. Now, I do 1:1 of food:water, that's extra 5.7 Oz water per day. She has water bowls as well.
Is she drinking too much? Should I cut down the water in food and let her decide if she needs to drink more? Thanks in advance for any input! :)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only concern I'm aware of is that drinking excessive water could be a symptom of kidney malfunction.

I worry about that with my senior cat. He drinks 1/4 to 1/2 cup a day in addition to a "wet" raw diet. Recently, I started adding 2 cups of Knox gelatin to 2 pounds of his food to make him feel more full since he's on a diet. That's essentially 1/3rd water in his food (2 oz extra water per day) and he still drinks a little out of the water bowl (maybe not as much now).

In contrast, my kitten leaves the puddle of "soup" on her saucer and I never see her drink out of her water bowl. Never.

Anyway, I'd say if Vega's BUN and creatine levels test within normal range, you can rule out any health problems with drinking a lot of water. Drinking water for a healthy cat flushes toxins out and prevents them from developing kidney problems. Having her tested might give you peace of mind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only concern I'm aware of is that drinking excessive water could be a symptom of kidney malfunction.

I worry about that with my senior cat. He drinks 1/4 to 1/2 cup a day in addition to a "wet" raw diet. Recently, I started adding 2 cups of Knox gelatin to 2 pounds of his food to make him feel more full since he's on a diet. That's essentially 1/3rd water in his food (2 oz extra water per day) and he still drinks a little out of the water bowl (maybe not as much now).

In contrast, my kitten leaves the puddle of "soup" on her saucer and I never see her drink out of her water bowl. Never.

Anyway, I'd say if Vega's BUN and creatine levels test within normal range, you can rule out any health problems with drinking a lot of water. Drinking water for a healthy cat flushes toxins out and prevents them from developing kidney problems. Having her tested might give you peace of mind.
Thanks! She doesn't drink excessively if I don't add water to her food. She only drink up what ever in her bowl with her food. I guess it must be tasty. I was worried if I forced her to drink too much. She is all normal and super active, loving to play all the time :)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she didn't like it, she'd probably do as my kitten does and leave you a puddle of water to clean out of the bowl/plate. :cutecat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she didn't like it, she'd probably do as my kitten does and leave you a puddle of water to clean out of the bowl/plate. :cutecat:
Vega just loves her food so much that she wouldn't waste any. And, it's FF pate. She would hesitate eat one lick at a time if it was any of the higher end food. Water will be left of course. ..