How much should a nursing cat eat?

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I know the answer to the question is "as much as they want". ;)😊But, my newest foster mom came from the streets with three 2 week old babies and OBVIOUSLY hadn't had enough food. I gave her a 3 oz can of food when she arrived and then another 3 oz can about 3 hours later. She GOBBLED both down and wound up throwing up after. She then refused to eat anything for the next 12 hours and didn't nurse her babies like I would have expected (baby weight gain was very low)

She started eating again last night. I switched her food a bit (chicken versus tuna) and dropped the amount. She has eaten great all day, no throwing up, perfect stools, nursed the babes like a champ and we had decent to great gains over the last 24 hours (I'm weighing twice a day).

So, I legit don't think I can feed her as much as she wants or she'll engorge and get sick. But, I want to make sure I am offering her enough food. So, if we had to guess, how much should I offer per day? Or even per feeding?

She has dry food and water at all times. Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Numerous smaller meals including canned kitten food, I wouldn't worry about a specific quantity but this approach might get you closer to the amount she wants/needs-- she'll tell you, and you could also try these recipes;
Kitten-Rescue.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Numerous smaller meals including canned kitten food, I wouldn't worry about a specific quantity but this approach might get you closer to the amount she wants/needs-- she'll tell you, and you could also try these recipes;
Kitten-Rescue.com
Yeah, I'm trying this with the wet food. She definitely doesn't tell me yet. She just engorges until she throws up. But I've only had her a few days so I'm sure that will change soon!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Small amounts on the plate, wait a bit, then some more of a small amount on the plate, repeat :)

Last edited:

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Small amounts on the plate, wait a bit, then some more of a small mount on the plate, repeat :)
Ahh, so I can feed that much back to back? I didnt think to do it that way. I was thinking small amounts spanned over hours. Not tiny amounts over minutes. Ill try that!!! Thank you!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed her all kitten food. Canned and dry. She needs the extra fat, protein, and minerals to produce milk for her kittens. Plus too help her recover from her own nutritional deficits from being on the street. You might buy the dry form of Kitten Milk Replacement and provide her a saucer or two every day.

Thanks for the rescue! And keep us updated. Please.

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feed her all kitten food. Canned and dry. She needs the extra fat, protein, and minerals to produce milk for her kittens. Plus too help her recover from her own nutritional deficits from being on the street. You might buy the dry form of Kitten Milk Replacement and provide her a saucer or two every day.

Thanks for the rescue! And keep us updated. Please.
Yup shes on all kitten food. High protein, low carb, high calorie, grain free. I'll put some KMR down for her as well! Not sure why I didn't think of that. :runaround:

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oy. So, momma liked the KMR OK but it didn't like her. Turned her poop pale green and very sticky so the clinic told me to take her off of it. Now, one of the babies has lost a significant amount of weight and has liquid yellow diarrhea. Momma got PISSED at me because the baby was screaming as I held her trying to wipe away the liquid poop and started growling at me, then the kitten, then me. Small bathroom, not a lot of room to maneuver so that was interesting. Then baby kept hollering and refused to nurse despite momma cats best attempts. (Call is already placed to the clinic and I'll supplement after they call back and confirm what I should do.

I swear, I wonder sometimes why I keep fostering neonates and mommas. Each time it seems like there is total chaos. Does anyone ever actually wind up with a litter of babies that just gain weight every day and grow up???

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How are things?
Momma is doing well, babies (or at least one baby) are a HOT mess. I supplemented the little one last night as much as she would let me (clinic said not to force it as we are doing meds and fluids today)

Went in this AM and poor things are covered in it. Swapped out blankets and fed momma. I'm going to head down to the clinic shortly (it's a bit of a drive) to wait until they open so I can grab meds and fluids and get it into them ASAP.

When I get back I'm going to move momma cat into another room and leave babies in there. Clean them up, sub q fluids, antibiotic shot. Probably change all the bedding again as well.

I tried last night to pull out the one baby thats struggling and momma FLIPPED OUT on me. Took a good long while and some serious patience to get the baby back in the room without having to do bite quarantine. So, I think moving momma this time is a better idea.

What can I use to clean up the kittens? I know water is bad but they are gonna need something done. Baby wipes?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As long as the wipes dont have any chemicals, Pampers aqua pure maybe. There might be some info in a Site article let me look for it...

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bright yellow diarrhea indicates possible coccidia. Use petroleum jelly to keep her bottom from getting burned.
I was wondering about coccidia as well. Timing would be about right as they just turned 2 weeks old. Momma seems fine though.

Fortunately, if it is, it's pretty easy to contain. Unfortunately I don't think they are treating for that first go round. Though, I do think they are sending home a smorgasbord of meds so that if A doesn't work we move to B. (Obviously only with clinic approval).

If momma was just a little less bratty this would be a LOT easier. But, as it is I gotta walk a fine line between too much and too little. One of those times I wish my proper foster room was tiled versus carpeted.

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Home again with Sub Q fluids, penicillin, praziquantel, ponazuril and panacur. They are gonna talk to the vet to see if they need to come back for panleuk testing but I think that's not the most likely problem.

Fingers crossed they turn around quickly!

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, this morning was a much better sight already. Weight gains for all 3 kittens and the two black ones gained a TON overnight. The black female gained so much in 12 hours I actually thought I had accidentally grabbed her bigger brother and was weighing him. LOL!

My tortie female gained weight as well and her poop was slightly more firm and far less in volume. Momma cat is also beginning to behave a bit better. I can pick her up now, she purrs now and actually seeks attention versus being annoyed by it. She hasn't growled at me in 2 days and is able to handle larger quantities of food at once.

Fingers crossed this keeps up. My last litter was a NIGHTMARE. I really really would like a win.