How Much Litter Is Normal?

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I ask because I go through a lot. About 38lbs every 2 weeks so about 76lbs a month.

And I only have one cat! It's not super cheap either, about 40 dollars a month.

Just wondering if this is normal as I am new to being financially responsible for my pets.

My boy likes the litter high (he'll go on the rug if it's too low) and I change the entire liner out/clean the whole box/bathroom once a week. Am I doing it wrong?

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I only change the entire box every 3-4 weeks, and I clean the box every day. If the level gets low between deep cleans, I top it off. I have two 6-month-old kittens and two boxes (will eventually get a third box, when they're a little bigger), and they seem happy with the state of their bathrooms!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you using clumping or non-clumping litter?

I only have one cat, and use clumping litter, and I almost never dump out and replace all the litter, I just remove the waste clumps and add more litter as it gets low. And clean the box weekly, using litter box wipes.

I buy a 14 lb box ($5.99 when I can find it on sale, 7.49-ish regularly), and it lasts at least a month. Probably closer to 6 weeks, though I haven't kept track lately.

Here's a TCS article with more info that might be helpful:
How To Set Up An Effective Litterbox Maintenance Routine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use clumping and even though I scoop every day, he will start to sniff and walk away if I don't change out ALL the litter frequently. I also feel it gets to a point where the pieces break off and I can't get them all out and I don't want to put clean litter over top dirty litter.

The other factor is that the liner starts to wear down (his claws are sharp).

He eats quite a lot and uses the box 5-6 times a day.

Thank you for the article!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't use a liner, however, Ruby's claws do scratch the bottom of the litter box.

About the pieces breaking off, Ruby tends to pee along the ends of the litter box, so the clumps often stick to the sides. When that happens, I tip the box so the litter goes to one end, then using paper towels, lift the clump from the side. Sometimes tiny pieces do break off, and then I just use another paper towel to scoop them up. I realize since you keep the box quite full of litter, you might not be able to tip the litter much, but maybe it's something you could try.

76 lbs a month is a lot of litter. So I hope you find a way to scale back without upsetting your boy.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I use puppy pads as liners. They are cheap and because they have multiple layers, they are less likely to leak. They really reduce urine odor, no urine clumps stuck in corners and the box itself doesn’t need cleaning. I change the liner every week but reuse the litter, topping it off every week. I only do a full switch out of litter about every six weeks.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I think most people who use clumping litter only change it, at most, once a month.

Do you really like the liners? They aren't necessary, if you don't like them. I don't care for them personally. The pee tends to collect in the folds of the plastic.

If he really likes it changed more often, you could probably get away with using a cheaper litter, even non-clumping. Even if a cheaper litter has worse odor control, it won't have time to get nasty in only a week.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is super frequent to dump the whole box and refresh. I scoop as best I can and top it off with clean litter for a month or 2 before I completely dump it and wash it. I have two cats who use 1 medium sized plastic storage bin with a hole cut into it.

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess I am doing it wrong from what everyone is saying. :( Oops.

I use this litter. 2 of the small bags per fill up of the litter box as one isn't high enough for him.

I use these liners:
I use this box and I use duct tape to secure the liner to the sides:
I just notice that the bag starts to come down and the box starts to stink. I do not add more litter after scooping, as I thought I was just covering up pieces that I'd missed. Figured might as well change.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get the 40 pound boxes of store brand litter for around $10. They are hard for me to lift, but that's the only affordable way for me to do it.
The 40 pound box will last about a month for one litter box.
Scoop it out twice a day and put an 8oz cup of fresh litter in once a day.
Dump and scrub on the first of the month.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
A 20-pound bag of Smart Cat clumping grass litter lasts me six weeks. That doesn’t include the initial amount needed to fill the boxes—which was a significant upfront investment given the size and number of boxes I have. The six weeks is just adding new as the level goes down when I scoop. I keep the depth about three inches.

I have three large boxes (16.5” x 6.5” x 22”, not covered) and three cats. The 20-pound bag costs about $30, so that’s roughly $20 a month for three cats using three boxes. I never change it out completely. I scoop twice a day without fail, and sometimes more if I see someone has used the box.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A 20-pound bag of Smart Cat clumping grass litter lasts me six weeks. That doesn’t include the initial amount needed to fill the boxes—which was a significant upfront investment given the size and number of boxes I have. The six weeks is just adding new as the level goes down when I scoop. I keep the depth about three inches.
Not sure if I was clear in my post or not, but the 14 lb container of litter that lasts me 4 to 6 weeks, is also just "topping up" after I scoop.

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So we are clear that topping after scooping is sanitary? I always felt like I was just covering bacteria.

Honestly I think the issue is the liners. They start falling apart after a week of him pawing at them, my bathroom is tiny, litter gets everywhere because he wipes his paws on the toilet and sink and then I feel inclined to clean everything. :crazy:

If I stopped using them I could probably get away with more litter for longer but I worry about the waste directly touching the box.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use liners. No it's not unsanitary to top up the litter because you are keeping it deep enough so that the litter stays clumped and doesn't get dirty.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Below is from the Product Description of the litter you use, off the Amazon link: To refresh and maintain your litter box, every time you scoop just add more Fresh Step scented cat litter.

And repeats the same thing, under Directions:
For best results, do not mix with non clumping cat litter. For first time use, start with an empty, clean cat litter box. Fill your clean litter box with 3 to 4 inches of Fresh Step Cat Litter. Remove clumps and solids daily and dispose in trash. Do not flush. The rest of the litter stays fresh. Add more Fresh Step Cat Litter to refresh your litter box each time you scoop. Maintain level of litter at 3 to 4 inches.

So maybe try going without the liner, and topping up the litter, and see how it goes. And, possibly, since your cat likes a "clean" box, consider getting a 2nd litter box. The "rule" is one litter box per cat, plus one, and though not every cat needs 2 litter boxes (my Ruby doesn't) some cats are quirky and like to use one for pee and another for poo.

Oh, an about the waste touching the litter box, that's why I use the litter box wipes.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I pour the litter in the boxes into a bucket and wash the boxes once a month. And I replace the boxes once a year. You’re right, Rini Rini , plastic is porous and no matter how zealously I clean, there’ll be some waste on the sides or bottom. Not much, though, and I clean it pretty quickly. The grass litter is pretty effective for us.

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Like others, I don't use liners and I only change out the litter completely when it feels like too many little bits of pee have been left behind. That used to be about every 4 or 5 weeks with clay litter. It seems like the grass is going to last even longer. I just started using grass litter, and while it's more expensive, I have to say, I think zero little clumps have been left behind. I've been using the grass for three weeks, and the box looks and smells fresh. And nothing seems to be sticking to the side of the box either, so it doesn't break up when you scoop it. I think I'm in love. So it might just be a case of finding the right litter.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Maggie's pee clumps stick to the side of the box, I just bang it off, tip to the side and clean with a paper towel with vinegar/water solution on it.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have the same litter box that you use (the Iris) it's our second box. The girls both prefer another as their primary box and Raja uses the Iris as well, Mizu usually doesn't. I love that box. I don't think it holds odor at all. Initially, I used liners as well but I found that they were keeping things moist and creating a lot of odor. I stopped using them very early on. I tend to go through about 35 to 40 lbs of litter a month. I used to dump it every two weeks and clean the entire box. Now, I make sure there is at least 3 inches of litter in the box and it stays cleaner, longer.