How much do kittens actually play?

CleoTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
My kitten is currently 4 months old and I have som questions regarding playtime. Before I start I’ll just leave some short info on how she plays. She absolutely loves feather wands and small balls that are easy to throw around. I play with her several times a day, usually 4 times a day that lasts around 15-30 minutes, but she only runs around like mad when I bring out the feather wand.

Now my question is, how intensely do kittens usually play during playtime? I’ve heard of playing until you tire out your cat but when playing with other toys she isn’t as interested and willing to chase after them. Is every single play supposed to be tiresome for the cat? And also how do I end play? I don’t want to let her take the feather toy as she tends to rip them apart if I do.

Thanks in advance!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello!
My kitten is currently 4 months old and I have som questions regarding playtime. Before I start I’ll just leave some short info on how she plays. She absolutely loves feather wands and small balls that are easy to throw around. I play with her several times a day, usually 4 times a day that lasts around 15-30 minutes, but she only runs around like mad when I bring out the feather wand.

Now my question is, how intensely do kittens usually play during playtime? I’ve heard of playing until you tire out your cat but when playing with other toys she isn’t as interested and willing to chase after them. Is every single play supposed to be tiresome for the cat? And also how do I end play? I don’t want to let her take the feather toy as she tends to rip them apart if I do.

Thanks in advance!
Hello and we meet again.

Kittens are a ball of energy and they looks like they hardly tire out.

Cat wands/feather wands are one of the more favorite toys amongst kittens and even grown up cats. They like to chase it as you flick the feather around as it mimics a bird. It is good that you are playing with your kitten a few times a day for 15 - 30 minutes each time and as you can see, she runs around madly as this is her favorite toy as compare to the ball. My boy loves the feather wand too and also je love the balls I have for him.

If they play hard, it'll tire them out. It is not necessary to tire them out during play. Play is to keep them alert and occupied and keep them fit.
You can play hard with her before she sleeps or before you retire for the day as getting her to workout keeps her sleeping longer. Also, you can time her meal time after play. To get her to have a meal, after playing, let her rest awhile before serving her meal and that is if you are not free feeding her. Once you set up this routine and once she gets used to it, she knows when is play time and when is meal time and so you can end the play time with a meal. Remember to have her hydrated after play.

Ripping apart the feather wand is not surprising as the feathers are not built to last. My boy has gone through many feather wands.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CleoTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello and we meet again.

Kittens are a ball of energy and they looks like they hardly tire out.

Cat wands/feather wands are one of the more favorite toys amongst kittens and even grown up cats. They like to chase it as you flick the feather around as it mimics a bird. It is good that you are playing with your kitten a few times a day for 15 - 30 minutes each time and as you can see, she runs around madly as this is her favorite toy as compare to the ball. My boy loves the feather wand too and also je love the balls I have for him.

If they play hard, it'll tire them out. It is not necessary to tire them out during play. Play is to keep them alert and occupied and keep them fit.
You can play hard with her before she sleeps or before you retire for the day as getting her to workout keeps her sleeping longer. Also, you can time her meal time after play. To get her to have a meal, after playing, let her rest awhile before serving her meal and that is if you are not free feeding her. Once you set up this routine and once she gets used to it, she knows when is play time and when is meal time and so you can end the play time with a meal. Remember to have her hydrated after play.

Ripping apart the feather wand is not surprising as the feathers are not built to last. My boy has gone through many feather wands.
Yes hello tabbytomcat! Thanks for your advice once again, I am currently on a routine where I play with her and feed her after at the same time every day. How do I know if she’s used it yet though? I’ve been doing it since I let her freely roam the house, but she seems to always want to sleep before mealtime instead of play, is it better to change time in that case?
Also, what am I supposed to do with a wand toy when it’s ”dead”. Should I just hold it still until she’s uninterested or do you suggest otherwise?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes hello tabbytomcat! Thanks for your advice once again, I am currently on a routine where I play with her and feed her after at the same time every day. How do I know if she’s used it yet though? I’ve been doing it since I let her freely roam the house, but she seems to always want to sleep before mealtime instead of play, is it better to change time in that case?
Also, what am I supposed to do with a wand toy when it’s ”dead”. Should I just hold it still until she’s uninterested or do you suggest otherwise?
You are welcomed again :)

Your kitten is only 4 months old and she has still quite a long way before she turns adult at 1 year old. She needs to be fed at least 4 - 5 times a day and give her as much as she can eat at one sitting. This meal discussion is meant for this forum Cat Nutrition and I'll not continue talking about it here as it is Off Topic but you start a thread in the mentioned forum as it is important to your kitten at this growing up age.

If that's the case of her sleeping before meal time, then let her be unless you want to spend some time experimenting the play before food routine and see if she catches on it and if not, leave it as it is.

Wand toy as it is dead meaning that she stops chasing it or destroyed? If your meaning of being dead is that she stops chasing it, then you can try to tuck the wand and make small jerking movement of the feather to interest he chase again. If she does not seems interested after that, she could just be tired and needs to rest and you can stop playing with her for that moment and let her be and see what she does next like just resting or wandering around.

CleoTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are welcomed again :)

Your kitten is only 4 months old and she has still quite a long way before she turns adult at 1 year old. She needs to be fed at least 4 - 5 times a day and give her as much as she can eat at one sitting. This meal discussion is meant for this forum Cat Nutrition and I'll not continue talking about it here as it is Off Topic but you start a thread in the mentioned forum as it is important to your kitten at this growing up age.

If that's the case of her sleeping before meal time, then let her be unless you want to spend some time experimenting the play before food routine and see if she catches on it and if not, leave it as it is.

Wand toy as it is dead meaning that she stops chasing it or destroyed? If your meaning of being dead is that she stops chasing it, then you can try to tuck the wand and make small jerking movement of the feather to interest he chase again. If she does not seems interested after that, she could just be tired and needs to rest and you can stop playing with her for that moment and let her be and see what she does next like just resting or wandering around.
Ohhh alright I didn’t that about the feeding, but yes I won’t be getting more into that since it is off-topic but i’ll let her rest.

I’ll try keeping her interested in her toy and see what she’ll do later when I play with her.

thanks, again:hearthrob::redheartpump:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Personally, I've never had super regimented play times for my cats. I can often tell when they're bored or if they're playing by themselves and could use some extra excitement. Some cats (esp when young) will almost never tire out, so you may have to stop before then. Sometimes playing for too long can actually get them overstimulated and wild. (think, a child who gets overly-tired - sometimes gets more hyper) With the wand toy, sometimes at the end of the play session, I'll let them "kill" it. So they get it and get to drag it off. Once it's "dead" then I quietly pick it up and put it away out of reach. That can be more satisfying for some cats who aren't always ready to end the play time.

CleoTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Personally, I've never had super regimented play times for my cats. I can often tell when they're bored or if they're playing by themselves and could use some extra excitement. Some cats (esp when young) will almost never tire out, so you may have to stop before then. Sometimes playing for too long can actually get them overstimulated and wild. (think, a child who gets overly-tired - sometimes gets more hyper) With the wand toy, sometimes at the end of the play session, I'll let them "kill" it. So they get it and get to drag it off. Once it's "dead" then I quietly pick it up and put it away out of reach. That can be more satisfying for some cats who aren't always ready to end the play time.
I actually didn’t know that they could get overstimulated from playing too long! I’ll keep that in mind since it seems like I’ve done that before. Also I do let her drag the wand toy away sometimes (if they’re sturdy), it’s just somewhat of a hassle since she always brings it under the sofa so I can’t take it out without her noticing.

thanks a lot Kris! :redheartpump:

savannahjansson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there! It sounds like you've got an energetic little furball on your hands! Kittens can be quite enthusiastic during playtime, and it's totally normal for them to go all out, especially when they're chasing feather wands – those seem to be a universal kitty favorite!

Not every play session needs to be exhausting for your kitten. Playtime is also about bonding and having fun together. If she's not as interested in other toys, that's okay too. Cats have their preferences, just like us.

To end playtime without letting her destroy the feather wand, you can try substituting it with a treat or some cuddle time. That way, she still gets a reward for playing nicely, and you keep her from shredding her toys.

Enjoy your playtime sessions with your adorable kitten! 🐾😺

CleoTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there! It sounds like you've got an energetic little furball on your hands! Kittens can be quite enthusiastic during playtime, and it's totally normal for them to go all out, especially when they're chasing feather wands – those seem to be a universal kitty favorite!

Not every play session needs to be exhausting for your kitten. Playtime is also about bonding and having fun together. If she's not as interested in other toys, that's okay too. Cats have their preferences, just like us.

To end playtime without letting her destroy the feather wand, you can try substituting it with a treat or some cuddle time. That way, she still gets a reward for playing nicely, and you keep her from shredding her toys.

Hi! I will be giving her treats so she doesn’t ruin her feather toys! A lot of people said their cat would dose off right after mealtime if they play with their cat before, I guess I took it too seriously hahaha. Thanks for the advice Savannah!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

I use the go cat catcher since it has attachments. You can buy a 3 pack. Same with da bird. At that age my cats liked to chase things so the attachment has a mouse. I assume that would last longer.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have four young cats. I don't know their exact ages, but they seem to play all night sometimes. I can hear them running down the hall like a herd of elephants. I think it varies by individual situation. My girls get along very well (for the most part), and they love to play together. When Elsie was the only young cat in the house, she played much less. I am not saying run out and get a herd of kittens, but they do tend to play more when there are more, at least IMHO. I think it's wonderful that you take a concern with keeping your kitten active. She is fortunate to have you.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie was wild at 3 months old. I do wish she had a play mate but I already had 2 others. I also had cubes, 72 inch tower, ripple rug. Scheduled feeding 3x a day. She played before eating,after,and late at night. My cat Peaches does not like her. She would get startled,tail poof out big in all directions
2015-07-24 001 001.JPG

Last edited:

savannahjansson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I will be giving her treats so she doesn’t ruin her feather toys! A lot of people said their cat would dose off right after mealtime if they play with their cat before, I guess I took it too seriously hahaha. Thanks for the advice Savannah!
Haha, no worries at all! It's all part of the learning process, and we're here to help. Treats can be a great way to keep those feather toys safe. And as for playtime before mealtime, every cat is unique, so it's all about finding what works best for your little furball. Keep having fun with your kitty!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think we were able to tire Magnus our as a kitten. Even now, it's more that he gets bored and wanders off or starts playing with another cat and takes off with the other cat instead. He gets hot sometimes and wants a break but then is back at it!

When the toy is "dead" you might notice that she lets go for a moment to check if it's truly dead. Then you can wiggle it away or put it away.

Meals can be given as enrichment as well..if you find just playtime doesn't wear her out, the mental stimulation after a nice play can be good also. At night I play with the cats before bed, they get some dry enrichment with puzzles or a "hunt" and then I bring some wet upstairs for just before they actually come to bed. Usually they do their puzzles and then come up to play with us and then have zoomies together, and then eat wet food and then join us in bed.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Playing with Maggie at night got her more crazy. End up being I had to shut her out of my bedroom then. Open it 15 minutes later

CleoTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think we were able to tire Magnus our as a kitten. Even now, it's more that he gets bored and wanders off or starts playing with another cat and takes off with the other cat instead. He gets hot sometimes and wants a break but then is back at it!

When the toy is "dead" you might notice that she lets go for a moment to check if it's truly dead. Then you can wiggle it away or put it away.

Meals can be given as enrichment as well..if you find just playtime doesn't wear her out, the mental stimulation after a nice play can be good also. At night I play with the cats before bed, they get some dry enrichment with puzzles or a "hunt" and then I bring some wet upstairs for just before they actually come to bed. Usually they do their puzzles and then come up to play with us and then have zoomies together, and then eat wet food and then join us in bed.
Hi Alldara! It’s nice to hear that someone else had a hard time tiring out their kitten :redheartpump:
I don’t really know what type of mental stimulation would be effective, I tried making a DIY one by putting a treat in a paper roll and then making holes, she gave up after a couple of seconds though… do you have any recommendations?
Thanks <3

CleoTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Playing with Maggie at night got her more crazy. End up being I had to shut her out of my bedroom then. Open it 15 minutes later
Oof, I actually don’t really know what my kitten does since I always close my door when I sleep and she doesn’t seem to complain, I’ll have to ask my sister. But we usually play with her before we sleep and it seems to work for us. Anyhow, Maggie looks absolutely adorable ^^

CleoTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have four young cats. I don't know their exact ages, but they seem to play all night sometimes. I can hear them running down the hall like a herd of elephants. I think it varies by individual situation. My girls get along very well (for the most part), and they love to play together. When Elsie was the only young cat in the house, she played much less. I am not saying run out and get a herd of kittens, but they do tend to play more when there are more, at least IMHO. I think it's wonderful that you take a concern with keeping your kitten active. She is fortunate to have you.
I would love to let her have a playmate but unfortunately I cannot afford it and I’m not sure if I would be able to handle more than one kitten ;; but yes that is why I care about how to keep her active since I can’t provide multiple kittens haha, but thank you for sharing your experience I appreciate it <3

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats never loose their energy, i got Indy as a tween (6months) and she still has endless energy 5 years later. Kabuto is still pretty energetic too at 16. He has heart disease though so I don't roughhouse with him anymore.

Feather toys are pretty much banned in my house because Kabuto will eat them. Not just chew them up but swallow them. I only will allow the kind with undyed feathers under supervision.

The dyed feathers often come from places like china or india where there are no or few regulations reguarding chemicals or heavy metals (lead) in the paints and dyes. I have seen the dye flake off them too which concerns me if it gets on their fur.

The toys I like are usualy all fabric with no thin strings or feathers.

Indy does not react to catnip or silvervine so I get her squeeky toys instead. She also likes the large rope mice the rope is about the thickness of a shoelace so it doesn't get chewed up enough to swallow.

Both cats go nuts for the rabbit fur little mice (no eyes or tails)