How much canned food per cat per day?

joefredkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I havnt read everything yet, but thank you. Gods thank you. I don't know anything but thanks. I'm 55 and (other than on a farm) never "owned" a pet. Translate "been responsible for". Thanks for the help :-)

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
You're very welcome!

The indoors-only approach is a fairly new thing in cat care. There is potential confinement-stress involved with keeping cats strictly indoors but it is much safer for them. Fighting with other cats can cause severe injuries which could end up costing you much more in veterinary care.

It's very obvious that you love your little buddy. That really shines through and he's lucky to have you by his side! 
I do agree that for his own good, neutering is something which really needs to be done. It will save you money in the long run, and also there are many many low-cost neutering options out there. If you tell us where you live, we can try and help you find a local organization that can help with costs.

You can read more about the benefits of neutering here -  [article="22304"]Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats​[/article]  

If you ever consider keeping him inside, this article can help you find ways to reduce his stress levels -  [article="33261"]The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside​[/article]  

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
And, to get this thread back to the feeding topic... Yes, neutering and bringing a cat indoors can both contribute to a cat needing fewer calories and potentially gaining weight. 

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read through quite a few of these, but I'm about to go to sleep so I'm gonna quit for now.  I just had a question.  The thing about Fancy Feast went back and forth a bit.  I've been feeding my kittens Purina Kitten formula dry food but I bought a case of Fancy Feast Classic today.  I honestly had no idea dry food wasn't good for them until earlier today.  So, is Fancy Feast a good wet food?  I don't have access to any of the other brands that have been discussed.  The nearest PetSmart is 2 hours away.  We have Wal*Mart.

Also, I just bought another huge bag of Purina Kitten formula the other day because they were running low and I haven't even opened it yet.  Is that just a complete waste or can I feed it to them in combination with the wet food until it's gone?  Or do you think I could get a refund from Wal*Mart?  I don't have a lot of money.  In fact, I'm WELL under the poverty level.  I make less than $1000 a month.  So, with bills and making sure they have vet care (shots, neutering, etc), and feeding myself - it's kind of necessary - I really can't afford to throw away $20 on a bag of food that I shouldn't feed them.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, my cats are about 5 and a half months old, both male, and they were neutered yesterday; I'll be picking them in about 4 and a half hours.  I really should sleep some.  Also, they're indoor only.

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fancy feast is mediocre, but if it's all you can afford, it's not the worst either. I don't like it because it often doesn't name the meats. They could throw in anything that counts as meat. Problem is if you're cats develop a food sensitivity, you won't know what it's to.
Personally, for budget canned food, I like the Pure Balance, which is Walmart nice-ish house brand. It's not superb, but it's good on a budget imo.
Also, you're fine to finish off the bag you have. Its not going to kill them :) I feed half wet half dry. It works out to about a 3 oz can (split for two feedings) and 1/2 cup of dry (just halve the recommended amount for each food you feed). That said, dry food isn't that bad. It's just that you need to spend a bit more for a better quality. You really only need to avoid it if you're cats develop urinary tract illnesses. If you buy a decent quality, it can be quite good, especially for kittens because it's typically high energy, and you can leave it out all day for them to eat as they get hungry.

Last edited:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Ahhh, what to feed is a hot topic
 It's a matter of opinion, in the end and IMO it really depends on the cat. I can tell you that most people feed a mix of dry and wet (based on surveys we did on the site which covered 1700+ owners so far). I do the same. Some cats may need an all-canned diet based on their medical condition. Most do well with eating either or both together, as long as they get plenty of water to drink. 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
joefredkat....in all my years experiences with cats they ALWAYS for the most part, act like they are starved. I have one that cries and cries and is a pest until I get him something and then he sniffs and walks away! I think they have us trained. Two cans a day should be plenty, with a good grain free dry in between. My cats are indoor/outdoor because they were strays when I adopted them and lived out there and are happier to be outside. I had them neutered because it PREVENTS fighting too, if you ever have to deal with abscesses like I do often with the feral toms it is not fun. I have one old boy with half and ear and blinded in one eye, they fight often and hard. The toms ignore my neutered cats, they don't see them (or smell them) as a threat. They may growl at them but I have never seen them attack one like they do each other. I know it makes you cringe to think of it, my husband always tells the new boys to 'RUN!" but they are back to normal after one day, it is much easier than spaying a female. Your cat would stop getting into fights, stop spraying, and stop yowling to be left out, it is well worth it! All the luck!

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I read through quite a few of these, but I'm about to go to sleep so I'm gonna quit for now.  I just had a question.  The thing about Fancy Feast went back and forth a bit.  I've been feeding my kittens Purina Kitten formula dry food but I bought a case of Fancy Feast Classic today.  I honestly had no idea dry food wasn't good for them until earlier today.  So, is Fancy Feast a good wet food?  I don't have access to any of the other brands that have been discussed.  The nearest PetSmart is 2 hours away.  We have Wal*Mart.

Also, I just bought another huge bag of Purina Kitten formula the other day because they were running low and I haven't even opened it yet.  Is that just a complete waste or can I feed it to them in combination with the wet food until it's gone?  Or do you think I could get a refund from Wal*Mart?  I don't have a lot of money.  In fact, I'm WELL under the poverty level.  I make less than $1000 a month.  So, with bills and making sure they have vet care (shots, neutering, etc), and feeding myself - it's kind of necessary - I really can't afford to throw away $20 on a bag of food that I shouldn't feed them.
Fancy Feast is a decent food.  I feed my 2 cats the FF 'classics'   There are 3 of the 'classic' flavors made without fish which I try to avoid.   If you are on a budget you might also want to try Sheba also a decent food.     I haven't tried Friskies canned but I know there are a few here who feed it.     If you are on a strict budget then don't feel bad about feeding a mixture of wet and dry.  As long as you keep the wet in their diet its better than not.  I would say just make sure they continue to eat the wet and get lots of water in their diet.  You can add a a teaspoon of water to their canned food as well to make sure they are getting enough moisture. 

joefredkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ahhh, what to feed is a hot topic ;)  It's a matter of opinion, in the end and IMO it really depends on the cat. I can tell you that most people feed a mix of dry and wet (based on surveys we did on the site which covered 1700+ owners so far). I do the same. Some cats may need an all-canned diet based on their medical condition. Most do well with eating either or both together, as long as they get plenty of water to drink. 
I also cook my cat a whole chicken about once every two months, and we share that. Kat likes real chicken :-)

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I also cook my cat a whole chicken about once every two months, and we share that. Kat likes real chicken :-)
Some cooked chicken as a treat is fine. Just be careful not to feed any cooked bones and avoid seasoning with garlic or onions.

We actually have an article about how to feed turkey safely and most of it applies to feeding cooked chicken as well -

[article="33003"]How To Safely Pamper Your Cat With Turkey Treats​[/article]  

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Close to zero chance on worms. No symptoms and vet agrees. 5 I guess. Friskies, with some newmans thrown in. Katt is strong and appears healthy. Been his friend since before his eyes were open. Had to use an eye dropper. Cats have been going outside (he got his shots) for thousands of years. I grew up on a farm, and all cats were outside. I am philosophically against it though I know why I have to cut. Also budget. But he fights to defend his space (or he's an aggressive a hole I dunno). And I want him big and strong enough to defend his space. He's only come home bloody once. I have a feeling you are going to demolish me even if you are a bot :-(
unaltered Outdoor cats
Usually get worms and or fleas and catch diseases from mating and fighting. They Do Not fight or catch sexually transmitted diseases if neutered, just a thought!

Last edited:

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In addition to Fancy Feast and Sheba, for affordability  consider two Friskies pates that lack corn, wheat and soy;  the 'poultry platter' recipe and the 'Turkey & Giblets Dinner' recipe.  Both are available in the 13 oz size can.

Also, there is a grain-free wet brand that's very affordable called Triumph.  Purina Pro Plan True Nature is also free of corn, wheat and soy and usually costs less than one dollar per 3 oz. can.  Finally, these two grain-free dry brands are priced less than the competition;  Evolve and Under the Sun.

joefredkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
unaltered Outdoor cats
Usually get worms and or fleas and catch diseases from mating and fighting. They Do Not fight or catch sexually transmitted diseases if neutered, just a thought!
Your an optimistic type I see. Yeah I know your right. I just don't like it.

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat does fine on fancy feast, just be sure it's the classic.

joefredkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are having a tropical storm here. Kat is out in it. Stupid bast(((( needs to come home. I told him it was gonna rain.,.

joefredkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to apologize for my post but I was REALLY scared. That was my kitty. And I knew he was scared too :-( he comes when I call. He knows how to work doors. I can't let him have a cat door cause I'm gone 12-24 hours a day! When I'm home for a day he comes and goes in like an hour. I'm sorry everyone I love my Kat. His name is "where's my cat"? Or "is that my kitty"? And he comes when I call...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to apologize for my post but I was REALLY scared. That was my kitty. And I knew he was scared too :-( he comes when I call. He knows how to work doors. I can't let him have a cat door cause I'm gone 12-24 hours a day! When I'm home for a day he comes and goes in like an hour. I'm sorry everyone I love my Kat. His name is "where's my cat"? Or "is that my kitty"? And he comes when I call...
Please do consider neutering. He will stay closer to home and be safer and happier, ultimately. I'm glad he's safe. This is something you can do to keep him that way.

joefredkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know I know. I know you are right. It's gonna cost money I just don't have 150 bucks is money to me. And he wasn't out in the storm looking to get laid, he just got scared and ran.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I know. I know you are right. It's gonna cost money I just don't have 150 bucks is money to me. And he wasn't out in the storm looking to get laid, he just got scared and ran.
Where are you located? We can help you to find a more affordable option.