How might I anti-bug my (stray) cat? (And probably the bedding too)

Ayzurea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like I have already given it the drop on the neck flea medication. But it seems to still be itching which is understandable as it does roam round the garden and such.

Is there a spray I should get that maybe I can try to spray the cat or the bedding & toys of the cat so they are more resistant to bugs. As while the neck medication seems to allow the cat to regrow it's bald spots. The cat is still biting itself and itching. (just slightly less now since the meds)

I suppose brushing the cat would help too? Although for the brushing bit, I'm not sure what is a good brush for it would be. As for some reason the cat's fur looks thin(?) Like I've seen the other neighborhood cats and their fur is more volume(?) like the fur covers up the body. While my cat is like you can sorta see through the fur. That it looks a bit scruffy almost.

The fur related thing (this is still done by a badd camera) heres a small clip. Yes the cat bonks the camera but not as hard as it sounds. But it's a fairly close, closeup.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
A Ayzurea Have you taken the cat to the vet to check for scabies? That looks more like a mite infestation than fleas to me. Scabies is pretty easy to treat and test for, but you need to know which parasite you're dealing with in order to treat it properly

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A Ayzurea Have you taken the cat to the vet to check for scabies? That looks more like a mite infestation than fleas to me. Scabies is pretty easy to treat and test for, but you need to know which parasite you're dealing with in order to treat it properly
This is where I would start, too.
If there are fleas present, it might take 2-3, or more, monthly applications to completely break the cycle. Fleas are very annoying. :sigh:
How big is your garden? My cats have an area outside they are free to come and go during the warmer months, and I sprayed the yard with beneficial nematodes last spring. My cats and dog were outside a lot last year, and I didn't see fleas which is unheard of for untreated ground where I live. (Especially in the fall when they tend to peak.)
Beneficial nematodes for flea control
I have not updated this thread in awhile because we are still in winter, and fleas tend to go dormant. I'm anxious to see if the application lasts more than a year as advertised. If your cat likes to wander around outside in your garden, this might really be helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ayzurea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm still trying to socialize it to humans. As it still runs away from most people(besides me). The goal is attempting to do a vet one day.... (boy its gonna be expensive 😭 ) I also need to find a way to better physically handle the cat too. Incase in the future my attempts to kidnap the cat, so I could take to the vet ends up: Them being scared thus scratching my face off. 😅 (also trying to drug the cat via catnip+silvervine doesn't work)

This is where I would start, too.
If there are fleas present, it might take 2-3, or more, monthly applications to completely break the cycle. Fleas are very annoying. :sigh:
How big is your garden? My cats have an area outside they are free to come and go during the warmer months, and I sprayed the yard with beneficial nematodes last spring. My cats and dog were outside a lot last year, and I didn't see fleas which is unheard of for untreated ground where I live. (Especially in the fall when they tend to peak.)
Beneficial nematodes for flea control
I have not updated this thread in awhile because we are still in winter, and fleas tend to go dormant. I'm anxious to see if the application lasts more than a year as advertised. If your cat likes to wander around outside in your garden, this might really be helpful.
The garden is decent sized I suppose, not sure how to describe it. The cat does jump and goes over to the other houses in the neighborhood on occasion as the cat is originally a neighborhood cat.

I might look into the nematodes too as it seems simple enough without using super strong chemicals.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm still trying to socialize it to humans. As it still runs away from most people(besides me). The goal is attempting to do a vet one day....
I've got lots of former feral cats that I care for. Some of them couldn't be handled for years, but you really need to take any cat you care for to the vet to have them treated for parasites, spayed or neutered and vaccinated. You will save yourself a fortune if you do this early on, before the cat starts producing kittens or gets an infectious disease from mating or fighting.

You need a humane trap. They sell them in Tractor Supply, or you can rent them from shelters, TNR groups and vets that treat feral cats. They're really easy to use with a cat that is tame enough to come to your house every day for food.

This video shows how feral cats can be caught using a drop trap or a regular humane trap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ayzurea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've got lots of former feral cats that I care for. Some of them couldn't be handled for years, but you really need to take any cat you care for to the vet to have them treated for parasites, spayed or neutered and vaccinated. You will save yourself a fortune if you do this early on, before the cat starts producing kittens or gets an infectious disease from mating or fighting.

You need a humane trap. They sell them in Tractor Supply, or you can rent them from shelters, TNR groups and vets that treat feral cats. They're really easy to use with a cat that is tame enough to come to your house every day for food.

This video shows how feral cats can be caught using a drop trap or a regular humane trap.

So should I also be looking for pet medical insurance too so I don't have to eat the costs that heavily? Because I think I found coupons to do the sterilization just not any vet stuff. If I did trap it via a cage would it lose trust in me?

I mean this whole house (outside part) it's cage perse as the fencing and chicken wire around any holes. Which my dad done so the other stray cats won't fight my stray. As somehow my stray doesn't get along with others and it's super scared.

It also sleeps in the same place every day. Right outside of my window. And since feeding it some better quality foods and giving the flea meds to the neck it looks far less sickly which was surprising.

While this cat has been a money sink so far 😭 it feels oddly nice. Like this cat is some weird natural anti depressants for me lol.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If I did trap it via a cage would it lose trust in me?
No, not at all. I've trapped around 40 cats so far and they all went back to being just as loving and trusting as before. They won't know that you're the one that set the trap, they'll just remember that you're the one who came and rescued them from the vet and brought them home again.

While this cat has been a money sink so far
Yep, it can get pretty expensive. That's why I recommend getting the cat fixed, vaccinated and treated for parasites early on, before any more serious health problems come up. Ask your vet about a health insurance plan. Most will cover initial vaccines, annual boosters and regular parasite treatment.