Beneficial nematodes for flea control

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last month, I ordered some beneficial nematodes to spray in the catio to help control fleas. I mixed them up and sprayed them at dusk, following the instructions exactly. I also sprayed the area all around the catio about a foot or so out to hopefully provided added protection. I don't want to jinx this but so far I have not flea treated anyone, and I have not seen any fleas at all, and the dog and the cats as well have been spending a lot of time out there. In years past, I'd be seeing fleas by now on anyone who was untreated.
I will keep a close eye on this and update as necessary, but if this is an additional protective layer against keeping fleas at bay, I'll take it!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is really interesting! Looking forward to hearing more. This could be especially helpful for those in warmer places where the fleas are bad.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you have fleas before you treated the area with nematodes - I mean this time/year? Where did you get them from? I think - maybe - the biggest source of fleas that get to Feeby is from our screened in patio. I have boxwood bushes in a bed that surrounds the patio and thought maybe this would be an option to try to 'curb' them from that area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you have fleas before you treated the area with nematodes - I mean this time/year? Where did you get them from? I think - maybe - the biggest source of fleas that get to Feeby is from our screened in patio. I have boxwood bushes in a bed that surrounds the patio and thought maybe this would be an option to try to 'curb' them from that area.
I was finding the very random flea (if I combed the cats out every day, I'd find maybe 1-2 every few days) with some flea dirt. I sprayed the nematodes in mid April, and tonight I combed everyone out very thoroughly and found no dirt on anyone, but one live flea on Goof (he's the resident flea magnet). Livie had a bath and a soak, and I saw no fleas, no dirt and no trace (and she is the only one who spends time in the Big Yard, the area I did not treat.)
I got mine from Amazon. I also purchased their sprayer you attach to the hose and am glad I did (it's reusable too!) I don't remember exactly how much I got, but it was a mid-size packet and treated the area well. (FWIW, they come packed in ice and need to be refrigerated immediately upon opening the box, until mixed and sprayed. They are not crawling bugs, it looked like a packet of powder.)

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used them years ago- purchased from Gardens Alive. Not sure if they sell them any longer. It worked beautifully! Not only took care of flea larva so we didn’t have fleas, but also the beetles who are so destructive. I did my entire yard ( almost an acre). Not cheap, but well worth it. It lasted a few years for us here in New England.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update:
The cats and dog and I have been spending a lot of time in the catio. I have been checking them often since my original post, and so far I have found two live fleas, and two specks of flea dirt total! I comb them often, and every few days I'll spend an hour and a half on all four of them. Aside from two live fleas and two specks of dirt, everyone has been clean.
In years past if no one was treated by this time of year, I'd be finding a dozen a day. And this was before the cats even had access to grass. I am very excited by this!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
2.5 weeks later, another comb out session and I see no fleas, no dirt, no nothing. I am STOKED!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Coming up on one month later, and not one flea has been found and the cats have spent many days free to come and go as they please (aside from the days the air quality was very bad, those days they WERE shut inside). I have used no other method of flea control aside from normal vacuuming as needed.
If ANYONE out there has a catio space or a small yard their cat goes out into and fleas can become a problem, I absolutely cannot recommend this enough.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Still flea free! :party3:
August is usually when the flea population explodes, so the "real test" is beginning. It will be interesting to see if we can make it through fall without an issue. 🤞 🙏

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
3 weeks later, and the dog and I have been in the untreated yard more, playing frisbee. I have found one flea on her, which I immediately removed.
The cats don't go into the untreated area, but have been in their catio almost daily, and are 100% clean! :party2: No fleas, no dirt, no nothing.
I have not treated anyone all year. I will be watching them closely now, as this time of year the fleas tend to get really bad (I have seen a lot of dogs at work with 5-6 fleas on them the past few weeks, despite having monthly treatments all summer).

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just to copy my other info over to the correct thread. My results + potential bias of my results below, following iPappy iPappy 's advice re neamatodes.

I applied one batch each to the front and back small gardens...but a bit of focus on where the mouse in the back frequents.

I did not have any fleas on the cats, but I did find some in the garden (before application) and noted that the roaming cats in the area all had flea collars this year which is unusual for my area. (I assume they jumped on me after leaving their cat host who had been rolling there a few hours before???)

So far, all three boys have gone to the back leashed and Magnus to the front and there has been no signs of fleas. I didn't find anymore in the garden either though I can't actually remember how long they live off-host.

Now to note is that most animals in my area are treated for fleas and ticks. So my guys generally have some extra "herd protection". So it's a bit of bias results. I just had never seen them in the garden before and wanted to be safe!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A Alldara I hope you have the same good results I've had thus far!! The cats pretty much have the catio available to them from about 6AM until I go to bed (not brave enough to leave them out 24/7) and so far, we have had incredibly good success!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I thought I'd resurrect this thread with a 2 months update:

We have had a much much warmer than average fall in Ohio, which means fleas. I have been seeing them at work, however, I have not seen ANY on my cats and they have been outside a lot still. In years past, I'd start noticing fleas in late August/early September, not so this year despite it being so much warmer. I am IN LOVE with this method of flea control for small outdoor areas for cats (and dogs), and cannot recommend it enough.

Now, the big test will come next Spring. They are supposed to be good and effective for several years. We will see if I have good luck next year too, or if re-application will be necessary. Even if it is, I've saved a lot of money and headaches by not having to remember to treat everyone, let alone the house if the problem slips past me.

(A flea-free Livie and a flea-free Goofy approve this message!)
1699836448298.png

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Resurrecting this thread for Year Two, to see how things go:

The cats (I am unfortunately down to two now 😿) have been in and out of their catio for several weeks. We've had a very wet, rainy spring with very warm weather (and now back to cold.)
I have been seeing the odd flea on dogs at work for a few weeks now. So far, the cats and Livie remain clean. No fleas, no flea dirt.
I'm anxious to see how long the application I did last May will last. Fleas really like wet spring weather, and I'm seeing them early at work this year so I'll be keeping a close check, and update this thread throughout the year with updates.

To be continued....!