How many boxes needed to clean the boxes every 2 days?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fractured my ankle and getting up/down off the ground is difficult..... I’m using my sitting walker to crawl back up. 🤦🏻‍♀️ So I was thinking of adding another box or two so I would only have to do it every 2 or 3 days. I only have one cat. If I added another tub or two would that work? Does he need 1 extra tub or two?

His current set up:

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry about your ankle! I hope it heals up fast.
Could you start with one extra box and see how it goes, and add another if you find it's necessary? I have two huge (XL clear rubber maid totes) for my 4 cats at work, and they're cleaned 2 times a day with four cats, and the cats use the boxes very reliably this way.
Take it easy, and I hope you feel better!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I fractured my ankle and getting up/down off the ground is difficult..... I’m using my sitting walker to crawl back up. 🤦🏻‍♀️ So I was thinking of adding another box or two so I would only have to do it every 2 or 3 days. I only have one cat. If I added another tub or two would that work? Does he need 1 extra tub or two?
Oh dear, I hope your ankle heals fast and well Sending vibes :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Yea, I agree with iPappy iPappy . Start off with one box and just in case she doesn't use the other box, you still have to clean the soiled one everyday or every other day?

Or get a bigger box so that she has a larger real estate and can have it cleaned every other day instead.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, I hope your ankle heals dats and well Sending vibes :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Yea, I agree with iPappy iPappy . Start off with one box and just in case she doesn't use the other box, you still have to clean the soiled one everyday or every other day?

Or get a bigger box so that she has a larger real estate and can have it cleaned every other day instead.
I was considering that but it would be harder to scoop all around. Have everything you need by a chair. I think it would be easier to scoop every day. Less to pick up. Just be sure to still give your cat lots of tlc. That was my mistake then she was stressed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has his smaller “extra large” box and his storage tub. I ussually clean once a day but this last week only every other day. I feel guilty. (He poops in one box and pees in the other.)

I have lots of storage tubs so I was going to add one or two in the shower to extend the time so I only needed to clean it every 2 days or 3 days.

I will try one box and see how it goes. That rolling sitting walker I got for my MS is a dream for carrying things like laundry baskets or food and yes giving Jackie chariot rides.

Attachments

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I was considering that but it would be harder to scoop all around. Have everything you need by a chair. I think it would be easier to scoop every day. Less to pick up. Just be sure to still give your cat lots of tlc.
Yea, scoop everyday and I have a low stool to sit on when I'm clearing the litter box.

Actually my question was for OP to see which is a better option for him since he's slightly handicapped for the the time being.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven’t tried a stool my problem is standing back up. I will try a chair tomorrow and see if it helps to sit while cleaning his boxes. I use the walker for help standing while I’m sitting. It is just a pain. Extending it to only doing it every other day for a few weeks or a month would help.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I haven’t tried a stool my problem is standing back up. I will try a chair tomorrow and see if it helps to sit while cleaning his boxes. I use the walker for help standing while I’m sitting. It is just a pain. Extending it to only doing it every other day for a few weeks or a month would help.
Can you get a scoop with a longer handle or modify a little on the current one? A longer handled scoop would eased you from bending over or getting out of your walker?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get a scoop with a longer handle or modify a little on the current one? A longer handled scoop would eased you from bending over or getting out of your walker?
I might have to magiver one. 🤣

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He has his smaller “extra large” box and his storage tub. I ussually clean once a day but this last week only every other day. I feel guilty. (He poops in one box and pees in the other.)

I have lots of storage tubs so I was going to add one or two in the shower to extend the time so I only needed to clean it every 2 days or 3 days.

I will try one box and see how it goes. That rolling sitting walker I got for my MS is a dream for carrying things like laundry baskets or food and yes giving Jackie chariot rides.
Jackie is such a beauty!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think one extra pan will be enough. I have two cats and three litter pans, but scoop only on the third day. The cats aren't complaining and there have been no "accidents." I've been in your shoes and know how painful it can be. Try moving a small wooden chair near the box and use that long-handled scooper tabbytom tabbytom recommended. My back is my problem, so I've been sitting in a chair to scoop for a long time.

Hope your ankle heals. What a difficult injury to deal with.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I added a second storage tub & the small litter box is in the shower. He thought the extra litter box was a trap so I put the 2 big ones in the closet and his small one he has been using got moved to the shower..... and now he uses the box in the shower. The extra tub is working, I’m on day 2 and he will be fine for 2.5 days or until tomorrow morning.

You can see how big he is compared to the storage tubs. He is 19 inches long not counting his tail. The storage tubs he can turn around in & are staying.

Attachments