How long

The we is

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued a 2 and 1/2 year old female from shelter where she lived her whole life. I am doing all the recommended topics.I did Feliway for a bit. Now I am using pet calming drops in her food. She is here with me 3 months. She does respond to my voice but runs from me all the time. I am hoping she will settle. Any new ideas.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is your living situation and where does the cat spend its time? If its a big house and the cat spends most of the day far from you its harder.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I rescued a 2 and 1/2 year old female from shelter where she lived her whole life. I am doing all the recommended topics.I did Feliway for a bit. Now I am using pet calming drops in her food. She is here with me 3 months. She does respond to my voice but runs from me all the time. I am hoping she will settle. Any new ideas.
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

Thank you for adopting this kitty from the shelter and for giving her a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out her life :clapcat:

It is good that she's responding to you. It may take awhile before everything sinks in for her to realize that this is her fur-ever home. You need to do some overtime work to work with her.

Spend more time with her, calling out to her with a loving voice and remember, keep yourself as low as possible like sitting on the floor. By doing this, it makes you smaller and less intimidating. Keep some treats in your hands ands also have a cat wand with you and start to play with her. She must get use to you and your voice and know that you mean no harm to her.

Do it few times a day for a next week. Feed her in your presence if possible so that she knows that food comes from you. Have her associate you with food.

It may take awhile but please don't give up. Go slow, don't rush and do it step by step and we are here to help and guide you. Remember, patience, love and routine rules the day.

Here are some articles to get you started. do keep us updated so that we know the progress. Do feel free to ask questions and there's no such thing as a stupid question.

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment or House – TheCatSite Articles
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – TheCatSite Articles

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To expand on A ArtNJ s questions:

Have you set up a "base camp" for your cat?

Having some music or the radio playing can help the new cat not be jumpy for every single sound. I really recommend some cat calming music with purring. You can listen on any streaming service.

knowing more about your situation really helps us to brainstorm ideas with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

The we is

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Live in 1800 sq ft house. When she is scared, which is most of the time she spends time upstairs under the bed. She comes down to eat, and hides under stuff. When it’s getting dark she ventures disown to play toys in next room. But always runs from me. I give her calming drops which doesn’t seem to make a difference. Almost wanting to give up.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though she may seem to you like she isn’t adjusting she is actually doing wonderfully if she is exploring and playing on occasion. It can take months for an adult cat to fully relax and stop being fearful so please don’t give up on her. Until she trusts you more let her come to you and never try to pick her up. You can sit on the floor with some treats and see if that will bring her close. Then you talk to her and roll a toy or two to see if you can engage her in play or get her to relax around you more. If she gets close you can slowly hold out a hand for her to sniff. I have also found that leaving your bedroom door open at night will encourage her to check you out while you sleep.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

The we is

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will try that but she is not interested in me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
She is interested. It's just that she's still learning her new territory. That will happen on her timeframe, and there's no way to rush this process.

Be patient. She's doing fabulously, and there's no hurry. You have all the time in the world because she is with you, safe, sheltered and fed 💗.