How long until your cat tries something new?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm interested, because cats are such individuals and many are slow-to-warm about things.....

How long does it take for your cat to warm up to something new before trying it?

I'll go first:
Magnus - at least 1 month before trying a new bed. Instantly takes a new toy or new food or not at all.

Calcifer - Must be shown food at least 3 times unless crunchy. Must taste test food or doesn't count as being 'shown' the food, but only a lick.
At least 1 month before tries new bed.
All toys are best toys. Except crinkle balls, they are most best.

Nobel and Lily used to try everything.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They are pretty much bulls in china shops and will try anything without hesitation. But occasionally Goof will see something new, freeze up, and do that slow tip-toe walk giving it a wide berth. Any noise will make him jump. God help the poor thing when I have a sneezing fit!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Louise is so afraid about everything. She takes several minutes before approaching even familiar objects ..almost as if she does not trust anyone or anything. It took her months before she would get in bed next to me..always at the foot of the bed before.
Recently I got an electric warming mat because it has been so cold. she sees it, waits about 5 minutes and then finally gets on it.
She still won;t let me touch her front paws. The back ones are ok. But one day I had my hand on the bed and all of a sudden she placed her paw on top of my hand and I let it rest there for several minutes! I really want to know her past history, but that is impossible....I beet she has a big story to tell.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been pretty lucky in the sense that mine will pretty much immediately react to anything new they're being given, almost as if they're humoring me by acting like they'll use and enjoy it. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. :lol: There have been toys that have been very played with to the point they have to get tossed in the span of a couple weeks and there's a big fluffy comfortable bed I got them for winter that hasn't been touched by a single cat. Now it just sits there as they refuse to use it and I refuse to admit defeat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been pretty lucky in the sense that mine will pretty much immediately react to anything new they're being given, almost as if they're humoring me by acting like they'll use and enjoy it. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. :lol: There have been toys that have been very played with to the point they have to get tossed in the span of a couple weeks and there's a big fluffy comfortable bed I got them for winter that hasn't been touched by a single cat. Now it just sits there as they refuse to use it and I refuse to admit defeat!
Bribe them with catnip! 🤣

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Louise is so afraid about everything. She takes several minutes before approaching even familiar objects ..almost as if she does not trust anyone or anything. It took her months before she would get in bed next to me..always at the foot of the bed before.
Recently I got an electric warming mat because it has been so cold. she sees it, waits about 5 minutes and then finally gets on it.
She still won;t let me touch her front paws. The back ones are ok. But one day I had my hand on the bed and all of a sudden she placed her paw on top of my hand and I let it rest there for several minutes! I really want to know her past history, but that is impossible....I beet she has a big story to tell.
I wish we could know all their stories. It's so heartwarming to hear about how Louise builds trust with you.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Magnus will sometimes fake eat food to humour us!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They are pretty much bulls in china shops and will try anything without hesitation. But occasionally Goof will see something new, freeze up, and do that slow tip-toe walk giving it a wide berth. Any noise will make him jump. God help the poor thing when I have a sneezing fit!
Oh goodness!

That slow walk is so funny though. If Magnus isn't sure he will sometimes do that up to an object and then hit it for food measure. Such as a rogue sock that's fallen out of the laundry basket on commute.

Julesbiscuits

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Misfit takes a week or so to try new sleeping places unless I engineer them juuuust right.

Like, I stuck a super soft blankie he loves inside a Costco box and put it on top of the fridge and he JUST decided he likes it. I made it so that he had somewhere high up to get away from the baby and it STILL took him that long.

It only took him a few days for the baby though 🤷‍♀️ go figures, I think he's so obsessed with me that if it gets in the way of his mommy cuddles he will overcome any obstacle to be with me.

As for food, if it's just too good to resist then he'll take to it immediately. And if it's crunchy, ANY kind of crunchy he's an immediate convert. But he's more picky about wet foods.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow - Her first reaction to anything new in the house is to take a step or two backward and wait to see if the thing explodes or attacks. She views new food or treats as a potential trap and needs to leave them sit for a while before she will sniff and try them. She will under no circumstances eat if I am anywhere near her or if her dishes have been hand washed rather than run through the dishwasher.

Lola is curious about everything and checks things out immediately. Unexpected treats make her happy, she will try new foods immediately. She seems to like all cat foods and want to try most people food.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Misfit takes a week or so to try new sleeping places unless I engineer them juuuust right.

Like, I stuck a super soft blankie he loves inside a Costco box and put it on top of the fridge and he JUST decided he likes it. I made it so that he had somewhere high up to get away from the baby and it STILL took him that long.
It makes sense, but it's so interesting that most cats are more picky about sleeping places than food 🤣

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Willow - Her first reaction to anything new in the house is to take a step or two backward and wait to see if the thing explodes or attacks. She views new food or treats as a potential trap and needs to leave them sit for a while before she will sniff and try them. She will under no circumstances eat if I am anywhere near her or if her dishes have been hand washed rather than run through the dishwasher.
Very suspicious things about food she thinks!
I wonder if she doesn't like the smell of the dishsoap.

We have a new handsoap and Magnus HATES it. You can't touch him for 2 hours after. The smell isn't anything stronger than usual but it's a big nope from him.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Very suspicious things about food she thinks!
I wonder if she doesn't like the smell of the dishsoap.

We have a new handsoap and Magnus HATES it. You can't touch him for 2 hours after. The smell isn't anything stronger than usual but it's a big nope from him.
Willow had a surrender and then a failed adoption previous to me adopting her from the shelter. During her two weeks at her previous home she refused to come out of hiding and was two pounds lighter when she was returned. I suspect they used food somehow to catch her but that was 12 years ago.

And yes, she definitely doesn’t like the smell of dishwashing soap.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not very long, Friday is generally a pretty bold cat. Anything new gets investigated immediately, even if it's not for him. I bought my dog a new bed a couple of weeks ago and I think Friday took to it faster than he did.

He can sometimes be skittish around new people, but that's very rare. I had a friend visit with her 60 lb hound mix and the first thing Friday did was walk right up to the dog, size her up, and start smelling her feet. :lol:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends. If I buy something specifically for them and say something like, "Look sweetie! Mama got you a present!" It will be ignored for all time. If I buy something for myself, they are all over it and I am never able to use it ever. I bought them the cutest unicorn plush toddler armchair at Sam's once. It was just the right size for them to nap on. DD took one look at it and said that they will never use it. I gave it to them. They checked it out and of course, DD was right. I tried sprinkling it with catnip but nothing. As soon as I said it was for them, they lost all interest. I should have said, "OK girls. This is mommy's chair so leave it alone." They would have been all over it. I ended up washing it with hypoallergenic laundry detergent and giving it to a friend with a toddler who loved it.

They are hit and miss with food. Usually if they turn it down after a few sniffs it's done. If they try it it's all good.