How Long Is Too Long For A Saferoom???

Nena00stray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,I'll try to keep this short. Mom of 3 rescued residents. I've recently brought in a stray about 1 week ago that I was feeding for a few weeks because of a storm we were expecting. I have a big room in my basement that I have as a safe room. I was gonna let her back out but decided to keep her indoors because she is super friendly,loving and affectionate. She's fixed her ear is clipped. I'm assuming someone dumped her because she's so friendly. I'm trying to find a home for her and plan to keep her until then. My issue is i cant afford at the moment a vet visit to get her tested and cleared of any diseases. She's eating well,using her litter box well I even examined her poop and pee,looks normal. How long is too long for a cat to be in a safe room? I have no windows in my basement for her to look out. Safe room has everything she needs but it kills me knowing she's alone and in 1 room all day.I sit with her about 5 times a day for 30 mins at a time to play and feed her. She runs around when she chases her toys. I won't have the xtra money for a vet visit for another 2 weeks. After a vet visit I am willing to start the introduction to my residents so she can roam freely throughout the house. I'm hoping I can find her a home soon.
20181027_213035.jpg
20180927_174453.jpg

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another two weeks inside of a safe room while awaiting a vet appointment is not long at all. I have had cats in a safe room for much longer. If she isn't crying or trying to get out of the room, I wouldn't worry about it. It looks as though she has enough space and toys to be happy.

I am thinking at this point that you' may end up keeping her. So the rest of my advice is based on this thought :)

I know the usual protocol is to await for testing for FIV and Felv before introducing a new cat to resident cats and the rest of the home, but she is a healthy weight with no signs of illness or upper respiratory infections, and if you want to begin to give her some access to the rest of your house, I don't see a problem with this. You could enclose your resident cats in a room and allow the new kitty some time each day to explore the rest of your house. The new kitty will get accustomed to the rest of your house and the scent of your other cats, and the other cats will be exposed to the scent of the new kitty. Since the new cat is friendly and you can handle her, I see no problem with doing this.

I hope you end up keeping this her. It sounds like she has bonded to you. Does she have a name? I have five rescued cats inside my house, and while some people might think that's too many, I can't imagine life without any one of them. Thank you for helping this kitty.

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:hellosmiley: Nena00stray Nena00stray , welcome to TCS!

Thank you for taking in this lovely pretty looking friendly stray :clapcat:

Since she’s in the safe room, keep her there as long as she feels comfortable. Do not rush to let her out, of the room and not back outside or being adopted out.

Since you decided to introduce her to the rest of your kitties, please let her stay on. She’ll be confused if you let her out again. Since she’s already spayed, best is keep her indoors as she’s getting used to the room and you and soon to the other kitties and the house.

She’s a keeper and it does not do her justice if she’s let out again. I do hope you keep her :agree:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I kept three kittens in a large bathroom for 3 months. There was no other option, the room was large and they were comfortable and safe. That alternatives were all worse. Like you, I visited them several times a day. Your kitty looks very happy in those photos and I bet she is counting her lucky stars that she has that basement...which looks much nicer than the average one, like you have converted it or something....in light of her previous life. I completely agree that you should not let her out as she will perceive this as losing her home and will be confused, possibly lost.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nena00stray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another two weeks inside of a safe room while awaiting a vet appointment is not long at all. I have had cats in a safe room for much longer. If she isn't crying or trying to get out of the room, I wouldn't worry about it. It looks as though she has enough space and toys to be happy.

I am thinking at this point that you' may end up keeping her. So the rest of my advice is based on this thought :)

I know the usual protocol is to await for testing for FIV and Felv before introducing a new cat to resident cats and the rest of the home, but she is a healthy weight with no signs of illness or upper respiratory infections, and if you want to begin to give her some access to the rest of your house, I don't see a problem with this. You could enclose your resident cats in a room and allow the new kitty some time each day to explore the rest of your house. The new kitty will get accustomed to the rest of your house and the scent of your other cats, and the other cats will be exposed to the scent of the new kitty. Since the new cat is friendly and you can handle her, I see no problem with doing this.

I hope you end up keeping this her. It sounds like she has bonded to you. Does she have a name? I have five rescued cats inside my house, and while some people might think that's too many, I can't imagine life without any one of them. Thank you for helping this kitty.
I kept three kittens in a large bathroom for 3 months. There was no other option, the room was large and they were comfortable and safe. That alternatives were all worse. Like you, I visited them several times a day. Your kitty looks very happy in those photos and I bet she is counting her lucky stars that she has that basement...which looks much nicer than the average one, like you have converted it or something....in light of her previous life. I completely agree that you should not let her out as she will perceive this as losing her home and will be confused, possibly lost.
Thanks for your response. I locked up my 3 residents and let her out to smell and explore after 10 mins she ran back to the basement. It will take time. I do have some classical music playing for her as well. If I can't find a home for her she's def staying. How many cats do you have? She will be number 4 for me, I'm a bit nervous to have 4,but I know how loving and caring cats are.

Nena00stray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:hellosmiley: Nena00stray Nena00stray , welcome to TCS!

Thank you for taking in this lovely pretty looking friendly stray :clapcat:

Since she’s in the safe room, keep her there as long as she feels comfortable. Do not rush to let her out, of the room and not back outside or being adopted out.

Since you decided to introduce her to the rest of your kitties, please let her stay on. She’ll be confused if you let her out again. Since she’s already spayed, best is keep her indoors as she’s getting used to the room and you and soon to the other kitties and the house.

She’s a keeper and it does not do her justice if she’s let out again. I do hope you keep her :agree:
Thanks so much for your advice. I locked up my residents and let her out to smell and explore and after 10 mins she ran back down to the basement she was scared. I won't rush her at all. I will def keep her if I have no luck with a home.

Nena00stray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Thanks for your response, I'm really glad I found this site. So much informative info,and every one is so relatable and nice. Sometimes I have no one to relate to when I'm rescuing,or need advice for questions. I don't have a name yet. And I am planning to keep her even tho I'm nervous about having 4 kitty's. I've rescued over a dozen cats,my husband works at a trash dumping place,and he has found many kittens that ppl dump in the trash. That's where my love for cats started 5 years ago. Does your 5 kitty all get along?

Nena00stray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

20180719_080034.jpg

Nena00stray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These are my 3 residents. The kitten I rescued this past 4th of July while pulling into a dunkin donuts for a coffee. It was 100 degrees that day and he was lying on the parking lot dehydrated.vet said he wouldn't of survived another day,if he was left there. I scooped him up he didn't put up a fight,he stayed in my basement for 5 days. Vet gave the clear for all his tests and he bonded well with the others.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
They are adorable and look very happy and comfortable. Believe me, the cat in the basement now thinks of that as her refuge and home, so you are definitely not torturing her by keeping her there for a more extended time period. I have 5 kitties who live indoors. There is ample room and everyone has their "spot."