How long in advance can you safely prepare feedings and mix supplements (without adding water yet)?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would it be okay if I prepared Buddy's morning syringe feedings and supplement cocktails as much as possible the night before, leave in the fridge overnight, and then just add any water or premix as needed immediately before feedings?

It usually takes me about half an hour to get each feeding and cocktail prepared, as well as all of the other odds & ends that I need. So since I have a ton of stuff I need to do in the mornings now that Dad has passed away, any shortcuts would be a huge help.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, honey, I'm so sorry to hear!!

I believe you'll be ok preparing the items before. I don't know of any "chemical reaction" so to speak that would occur by any of it sitting in the fridge for that time, without water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, honey, I'm so sorry to hear!!

I believe you'll be ok preparing the items before. I don't know of any "chemical reaction" so to speak that would occur by any of it sitting in the fridge for that time, without water.
Thanks much!

I didn't think it would be a problem, but sometimes I get advice that makes me second guess myself. It's just that right now, it's already pretty darned hot and steamy outside before the sun even comes up, so the sooner I can get started on my honey-do list for the day, the better.

I tried just delaying Buddy's breakfast until later in the morning, with the intention of syringe feeding him as soon as I had a chance to rest and cool off a bit. But I found that my arms didn't want to work very well when I felt like a half melted chocolate bunny. :wink:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are the supplements and stuff you have to mix up? If they're all dry powdwers, there's no reason why you can't mix it up in advance and then add water or whatever right before feeding. Liquid stuff will be ok if refrigerated overnight.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about your father. I know the pain that causes. I lost both my mother and my father within six months of each other :frown: And oddly enough, even though I saw them every day while they were in Assisted Living before they passed, I find I have less time now than ever. Where does the time go? And boy can I relate to the heat part. It's still in the high 90s, sometimes even the low 100s at midnight here! And now the humidity (such as it is) is hitting. Not fun! Thank goodness for air conditioning, although today the utility company sent out a notice early this morning asking that everyone please refrain from using as much electricity as possible. No laundry, dishwashers, and turn up your a/c's to at least 80 until 9 p.m. or we'll see rolling blackouts :eek2: We're so spoiled. No where did I put my hand operated fan?

1597967391932.png

As everyone else has said, i don't see a problem with preparing it the night before. Honestly, I don't even see a problem with TOTALLY mixing it the night before, except for drawing it up into the syringes.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are the supplements and stuff you have to mix up? If they're all dry powdwers, there's no reason why you can't mix it up in advance and then add water or whatever right before feeding. Liquid stuff will be ok if refrigerated overnight.
Thankfully, all of the supplements and OTC meds are tablets than can be crushed, or capsules that can be emptied into the shot glass I use to mix Buddy's cocktails. So it has really been helpful to be able to prepare the morning dose ahead of time, and just add water when I'm ready to give it to him.

My biggest concern was about preparing his syringe feedings ahead of time. We've had lots of pets over the years that have required syringe feedings, and we've always prepared enough for several feedings that would be used within 24 hours and stored them in the fridge. But to make a long story short, some well meaning advice went a bit away, and I got paranoid about Buddy's pre-prepared feedings spoiling over night. :)

Thanks oodles!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about your father. I know the pain that causes. I lost both my mother and my father within six months of each other :frown: And oddly enough, even though I saw them every day while they were in Assisted Living before they passed, I find I have less time now than ever. Where does the time go? And boy can I relate to the heat part. It's still in the high 90s, sometimes even the low 100s at midnight here! And now the humidity (such as it is) is hitting. Not fun! Thank goodness for air conditioning, although today the utility company sent out a notice early this morning asking that everyone please refrain from using as much electricity as possible. No laundry, dishwashers, and turn up your a/c's to at least 80 until 9 p.m. or we'll see rolling blackouts :eek2: We're so spoiled. No where did I put my hand operated fan?

View attachment 347887

As everyone else has said, i don't see a problem with preparing it the night before. Honestly, I don't even see a problem with TOTALLY mixing it the night before, except for drawing it up into the syringes.
Thank you, sweetie. So sorry about your parents. I know it's usually the natural order of things that parents go before their children, but it's still hard to let go, no matter how old you are. But it has been a bit surreal, as we still haven't been able to have a funeral service for Dad because of the COVID-19 restrictions, or find comfort in a hug from a friend or family member, etc. It's just weird.

Anyhoo...

It's been wonderful these past few days being able to prepare Buddy's stuff ahead of time. Yesterday I managed to finish feeding him and doing all of my morning chores by 8:00 a.m., and was able to go outside and get the yard done and most of the hurricane prep finished before I started to melt. It was awesome! :)