How long does nonrecognition aggression last?

1fortheisland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats -- Florence and Paris. They are littermates, both female, both spayed, 3 years old. On Friday (Dec. 12), Paris ate and then vomited up a rubber band. I rushed her to the vet. The vet did an X-ray and gave Paris a clean bill of health. I brought Paris home.

I knew that nonrecognition aggression was an issue with two-cat households, so I kept Florence and Paris separated. It's nearly a week later and Florence is still growling and hissing at Paris every time she sees her.

I rubbed Paris with dirty laundry to try and get her to smell more like home. I also tried rubbing Florence with a towel and transferring the scent onto Paris. I rubbed both cats with catnip. I also rubbed both cats with vanilla. I've got several Feliway plug-ins and have sprayed just about every surface with the stuff.

Florence is still growling and hissing, but it's gotten weirder. She'll sit in the same room as Paris for an hour or so (they're usually on opposite sides of the room), then she'll remember that Paris is in the room and start growling. Florence doesn't growl or hiss when food and treats come out -- she'll eat her food right next to Paris.

This morning, Florence went over and sniffed Paris's face. I thought that things were starting to get better, but then Florence suddenly lashed out and hissed and batted Paris away (Paris did not make any sort of sudden move; she just stood there and let Florence sniff her).

How long does nonrecognition aggression last? Are there any other tricks I can try out? Paris and Florence used to get along swimmingly, and not I'm afraid that they'll never be friends again.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to go back to introduction techniques. Interactive play,feeding them together and a lot of positive encouragement and patience.