How long did it take for you and your cat to click?

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was going through some of the forums and it occurred to me that there seemed to be a real time range in people bonding with their new cats. And I don't mean that in a bad way, like of course everyone likes and cares for their cat! But that wonderful moment when you know you really love your furbaby, that you can't imagine life without them, that no matter how they show affection the two of you are bonded.

I'd love to hear some cute stories about how and when you guys knew you and your cat(s) were buddies for life!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have two opposite stories.

Our first one, Casper, was 9-1/2 when we got him from a friend and we bonded with him literally immediately.  He took one step in our house and behaved as if it had always been his home. Was sleeping with us right away, etc.  He was so easy to love quickly as he's very social, confident and gregarious.

The second, Cocoabean, because she was a rescue and had some unknown trauma in her life, took longer. It was estimated that she was around 3 years old give or take and we didn't know how long she was on the streets (although, she loved being groomed from the get go so had to have been someone's pet at some point). It's difficult with a timid cat.  While I cared for her a lot from the beginning, it took a while to be reciprocated, which is what builds the bond.  Several weeks at least.  And, for my fiance, it was much, much longer with her. Maybe up to 1/2 a year even.

That's totally in the past though, she just needed more time than our boy to acclimate to living with us and vice versa.  She's with us over 3 years now and we can't even believe she was ever anything but loving and gentle.  

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a timely question for me. I picked up my new kitten on Thursday from the cat protection. He is 9 weeks old. I wanted to take him for a check up with my vet before taking him home as I have two other cats and I wanted to make sure he was healthy.

It was a 35 minute drive to the vet and a mile into the journey he started to cry. I put my fingers through the carrier wire and he gripped them and fell asleep the rest of the journey.
I arrived at the vets 30 minutes before my appointment and waited in the car because there might have been some dogs in the waiting room and I didn't want him to have a bad experience. I took him out of the carrier and he purred and fell asleep on my lap. That was it. He had me. I was in love.
Since then he has been my shadow. How lucky am I

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
It was a Sunday in March. I took Artie home from the foster mom's at 3:30pm. I showed him around, and let him run wild sniffing things. Showed him where the litter box, food, etc was. 

I left the house for supper invitation. I got back at 7pm. Artie was hiding in my the bedroom which was my Dad's (he passed a few months earlier). 

I was lying on the coach, quilt covering me, watching TV. Artie suddenly came out of the bedroom, came right up to me, jumped on the coach and then on my chest, and started purring and kneading. He has never stopped being, my cuddler, watcher, follower.. any noise in the apartment building hallway; he is right at the door, to protect me...

Last edited:

gearpunk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is definitely a recent click, but a click has definitely occurred.

My furmonster is just over 5-6 months old and I've had her since 8 weeks.

It took a lot of time (and a few grey hairs) but once she flopped over next to me, completely voluntary with no coercing or forceful love. She just sat next to me purring and then looked at me, meowed and then promptly fell over for nap time. I often wake up to her next to me too, and my door is always left open so she has the option of sleeping anywhere else.

She's my nerd and I'm her human, even if we drive each other insane (she is still a kitten, lol).

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I rescued my boy January early this year. He was found with an open wound. Took him home and he kind of felt at home immediately. Spent most of the time with him for the 1st day as and brought him to the vet the next day.
At the vet, he was frighten and he was clinging onto me. The vet said that he was very attached to me even though it was like only one day with me. And ever since after the vet's visit, we clicked and bonded.

smile123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I loved her as soon as I saw her at the adoption event. Her littermate(not sure but looked almost exactly liked her) was snoozing and Cupcake was bouncing in the cage trying to jump everywhere. I think she clicked on the second day. She climbed onto my lap while I was in an armchair and she was purring and grooming herself before she fell asleep there

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I'd say both pretty quickly. Cassie faster than Monet (she came home with a fever and virus.. once that broke, she became inseperable)

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With Kyran, we clicked as soon as I picked him up the first time. We were together for 10 years after that. The last 3 years, our bond grew really closer and stronger, as I had learned a lot about cats and cat's behavior.

With Sparrow, it actually took me almost a year. He bonded with SO right away, but Kyran had passed a month and a half prior, and I was grieving. I couldn't let myself get close to him, it just hurt too much. I could tell he was ready to love me though, but he gave me the time I needed. Now, we're pretty much inseparable!