How long can foreign object stay in cat

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Short answer- until it passes or causes an obstruction. I have a cat with Pica and it's no joke. I'm glad you are working with a vet on this one. It might be worth contacting the shelter where you got the cat just to inquire. Say you think the cat might have pica and ask if the previous fosterer had the same suspicions or if they noticed anything. Getting a history of this kind of behavior is useful to your vet. I found that ingestion of materials is taken too lightly by vets until it causes a problem or is expressed as an ongoing problem behavior so knowing if this is something new or something old really does matter. My pica cat is fine btw. We have him on medication and are very tidy and so he is doing well.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is she today? Have you found any other objects?
I'm curious and hopeful that her chronic diarrhea was her body's way of trying to eliminate these foreign objects.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is she today? Have you found any other objects?
I'm curious and hopeful that her chronic diarrhea was her body's way of trying to eliminate these foreign objects.
Well she has passed three tags she ate off of toys. So this past weekend I went through the house and cut all the tags off toys. We still have diarrhea.

Vet seem to be concerned as long as she's passing things. I'm starting to watch her very carefully though and I noticed that she needs to bite and chew. I got her a couple of chew toys that she'll bite on but I don't really know if there's anything else I can give her to satisfy the need to chew.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she has pica, and this seems more and more likely, and your vet isn't concerned, you may want to consider a second opinion, here.