How long can foreign object stay in cat

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My cat just passed some foreign objects in her litter box. I do not recognize them and I don't know what they are.

I tried to figure out how long they've been in her. We've been battling diarrhea for about 12 weeks now, and I'm wondering whether I could have adopted her with these inside of her already. How long can a foreign object stay in a cat's stomach before making its way out?

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Generally things move through within 24 hours, but, apparently, not always!

Did Your Cat Eat Something Weird?

I would send a photo of that object to your vet, and ask him/her if you should bring the cat in. Diarrhea (especially very watery diarrhea) can actually indicate a blockage of some sort, as the feces liquefies, trying to move past the obstruction. I know that was more information than you bargained for, but it was necessary.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew a cat that never passed a piece of plastic, it was found after several years, in the surgery. It was too small to show on X-ray and ultrasound, and caused painful pancreatitis in the poor kitty.
That looks big enough to show so I’d ask for at least X-ray to see if there’s more of this stuck somewhere if he’s still having symptoms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm waiting on a call back from the vet. The pieces are about an inch long and made of rubber.

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just can't imagine that these items have been in her stomach since July. I just don't even know if that's possible. It's either that or she consumed them in the last few days. I really wish I knew the answer

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Apparently some things can stay for months. And that looks as if it is sturdy enough to survive in there.

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also she actually passed a small 2 by 2 ziplock bag yesterday. No pictures of that one.

She's really food aggressive I should mention. In fact she's so food aggressive we can't keep her in the same room with us even for small snack. And yet, so sweet.
20191027_221311.jpg

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Someone I know fostered a stray kitten - it had to have surgery to remove wads of plastic from his stomach. He was most likely starving and the plastic had been used to wrap food. He made a full recovery and does not eat plastic anymore.

Given what has already been passed, I would think a vet visit will be in order.

And things can linger - as I posted in another thread, my cat puked up a ribbon 4 weeks after she ate it!

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I heard back from the vet. She said that as long as she was passing things and not vomiting to just keep an eye on her. My cat is perky and playful it doesn't seem to be in any pain. She said most things pass within 48 hours of consuming them but it's not unheard of for some things to take longer.

Meanwhile it's like a surprise every time I go to the box now.

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, the diarrhea is different. The vet said the consumption of these items sure isn't helping the cause though.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Meanwhile it's like a surprise every time I go to the box now.
LOL, you really should start a photo journal!

Was she an owner surrender? I can't help but wonder if they got mad when she got into a box of new stereo parts...some of that stuff reminds me of that.

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well now we've gone almost 24 hours with not passing anything else. Still have the runs though.

She was actually from a litter of kittens whose mother was killed when she was about a week old. She spent some time with a Foster and then was in a shelter.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, that's not the answer then...although maybe the foster home was less diligent than they might have been? Or she's very sneaky...she is, after all, a cat...