How long before your cat recovered from an inner ear infection?

seaturtleswims

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My poor kitten Sally is being treated for an inner ear infection. It's pretty scary- she can't walk normally due to her balance being affected by the infection. She is very wobbly and topples over easily, also her left eye (same side of body as infected ear) is all squinted/rolled up in the back of her head so the pupil is barely visible. 

Don't get me wrong, we were at the vet twice last week and are due back Monday and are on a colorful assortment of meds, but there is very little change in her. She is eating better and drinking on her own today (first time in 3 days) but how long before she regains balance or her eye becomes normal again?

It's also finals week, and I'm graduating college in less than a week, so I'm kind of a big ball of nerves and just need to hear a success story from someone else who has had a cat with an inner ear infection. It's so discouraging having to keep her locked in a bedroom so she doesn't fall down stairs and watch her stumble around all over the place with her poor eye. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes it takes a change in medicine before you see an improvement.  It can take a couple of weeks sometimes as well.  I'm glad you're getting her back to the vet tomorrow.  Be sure she keeps eating, drinking, and eliminating normally.  She'll probably sleep  more than normal because her little body  is trying to heal. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

seaturtleswims

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the encouragement :) Your kind words are helpful 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh poor baby! How's she doing now?

Our Flowerbelle had an inner ear infection - with no symptoms. It was found accidentally on MRI, looking for an explanation for other issues. She was on Baytril for three months. So I don't know how long it takes to resolve, as she never displayed any symptoms! I'm sure the vet answered your questions. :heart2:

seaturtleswims

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! We are looking at a 1-3 month recovery time per the vet today. It could be sooner but she also has feline herpes so the pre existing compromised immune system could potentially drag out recovery time. We went today and go back Thursday. She is still wobbly and has the prominent third eye showing, but her eating habits and energy level are back to normal and the vet was please with that improvement so no additional meds! I think in time she's going to heal up just fine :)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

seaturtleswims

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! Thanks for sharing the article! Both of my cats at home were adopted with feline herpes, and they get lysine treats when the break out or before something that could trigger a break out (vet, moving etc) but this is great to know!