How Long Before The First Antibiotic Goes To Work?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Saturday morning , Almost exactly 3 days with the antibiotic injection. my cat is bouncing back: eating many cat snack food nuggets,drinking, wanting to be brushed, walking around. Still a tad stuffy nose, he is fragile looking from days of not eating.
Think for a change i will have a cat that got very ill but got better.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Allllll riiiiight! Glad he’s turned around! And so glad he’s finally eating. Congratulations! It may take longer with senior cats.

Glad you mentioned "...It may take longer with senior cats.."

Right now its Sunday night, 4 1/2 days of the 7 day Enrofloxacin antibiotic.
Although i posted my cat was on the rebound yesterday after 3 days of the antibiotic shot,may cat's rebound has mellowed out today. Today: Drinking water,yes. Solid food;about 10 cat food snack treats,about 2 ounces of wet cat food gravy.
My cat was born in 2003, was an outdoor stray was really battered and in poor shape when we took him in 2004---had to use a trap. So he's senior years:16yo plus

(Thanks everyone responding as well as people reading)

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
<<<----This picture is him at about at age 14 about 2 years ago, having a bad hair day. When brushed out he shows a huge silky fur coat
.=he is now entering the geriatric age although will still play chase and get chased with our 5yo female cat.

Last edited:

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat just passed The 7th day of the 7 day Enrofloxacin antibiotic injection.

My cat is eating and eating.Drinking water. Looking acting and behaving: 99.99% normal.
He is even playing run back and forth with his 5 yo female companion.

My concern is he is still sneezing some--occasionally. Some drainage from his eye

Last edited:

MarcEwing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat felt better the next day, it probably depends on the specific tablets.
I'm glad that your cat has become better. Sneezing should go away in a few days i guess.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat felt better the next day, it probably depends on the specific tablets.
I'm glad that your cat has become better. Sneezing should go away in a few days i guess.
After you posted, i edited in "injection"

Hoping he does improve 100%.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried doing steam treatments? You run the shower as hot as possible and steam up the bathroom. Sit with him in the steamy room for 15-20 minutes 2x-3x a day. This helps break-up congestion. This is my go to home treatment for URI's even if the cat is on antibiotics. It just helps them feel better. None of my cats have ever stopped eating during a URI issue. Breaking up the congestion may also make it easier for him to smell his food. Cats tend to not want to eat when they can not smell their food.

You mentioned something about eye discharge. Is the discharge clear? If the discharge is green or yellow that is a sign of an eye infection which would need a different type of antibiotic. If the eye discharge is green or yellow I would at least call and talk to your vet. He may need to be checked for an eye infection.

I am glad to see your boy is starting to feel better. Sometimes bad URI's can take a while to go away.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Re Going to try the shower method to help clear his congestion.

My cat is about 1 day and a half past the '7 day antibiotic injection duration'

He is starting to increase his sneezing, sneezing more often now than the 6th and 7 day of the shot. He is still eating and eating,doing his normal routines but i am concerned this illness he had, may make a comeback. That will be a bad situation.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Re Going to try the shower method to help clear his congestion.

My cat is about 1 day and a half past the '7 day antibiotic injection duration'

He is starting to increase his sneezing, sneezing more often now than the 6th and 7 day of the shot. He is still eating and eating,doing his normal routines but i am concerned this illness he had, may make a comeback. That will be a bad situation.
It is a good sign that he is still eating normally. Hopefully the steam treatments will help break up the congestion. Sometimes URI’s can be stubborn. If you think things are getting worse then call and let your vet know. I have had instances were 2 different antibiotics were needed to really get rid of the URI.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
<< Usually if you take a shower with alot of steam going, He sneaks in and sits. He figured out we are inviting him in, now he does not want to come in. Cats surely like to do the opposite.

3 full days after the '7 day antibiotic short',
The 3rd day and to this moment Have not heard him sneeze or sniffle once in the past 24 hours. He is eating normally
Wanted to note, yesterday was also the first 24 hour period we did not run the house AC. The Ac had been on, nonstop, 24/7 for the past 5 weeks.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yea, he is still sneezing here and there. Illness has not cleared up 100%
He is turning 17 and has never been ill since taking him in as a badly beaten up stray in 2004
Im a nervous wreck now.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update"

Almost 2 weeks after the 7 day antibiotic shot,it appears he is back to normal.
He cant stop eating now. Playing catchup on his routines, grooming himself.
He was really looking shriveled up now looking and standing tall

Thanks everyone for helping

Essentially, everything everyone posted came true:
After the antibiotic shot, It Took 4 days to begin to show signs of improving
The 6th day after the shot he looked getting back to nomral
The 7th,8th day,He seemed to be struggling with the illness again.
This 10th,11th day after the antibiotic shot. No signs of the illness and as i said above already: Playing catchup on his routines, grooming himself like he is going out on a date

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update"

Almost 2 weeks after the 7 day antibiotic shot,it appears he is back to normal.
He cant stop eating now. Playing catchup on his routines, grooming himself.
He was really looking shriveled up now looking and standing tall

Thanks everyone for helping

Essentially, everything everyone posted came true:
After the antibiotic shot, It Took 4 days to begin to show signs of improving
The 6th day after the shot he looked getting back to nomral
The 7th,8th day,He seemed to be struggling with the illness again.
This 10th,11th day after the antibiotic shot. No signs of the illness and as i said above already: Playing catchup on his routines, grooming himself like he is going out on a date
Soooo happy your kitty is doing well again!!! I’m going through this right now with my 3 year old cat she just went to the vet yesterday & got the injectable shot & we’re giving her an oral dose of meds as well but still no improvement which has me worried sick!! I called out of work to watch her and everything! I’m hoping she is better tomorrow & I can relax! Seeing this thread really did ease my mind a little!!

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just reiterating, as people have said here, it is not till day 3-4 your cat "begins" to show signs of recovery.
Took my cat the full 4 days,and i stress again, 'begin" to show signs. Those beginning signs, at least for me personally, brought me little confidence things were going in the right direction.

2 and 1 half weeks after the shot, my 17yo cat is like going though a second 'young adult cat' stage of life. Running around,climbing on furniture,etc.