How Long Before The First Antibiotic Goes To Work?

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat started antibiotics pills [one a day] for a respiratory illness.
How long before the first antibiotic goes to work? seconds? minutes? hour? more?
If i take an aspirin for a headache or toothache,usually within 20 minutes i start feeling better.
Aspirin is not an antibiotic of course.

Incidentally, He has 7 for 7 days and i well understand to give the entire 7 regardless when a cat looks well.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Antibiotics usually take 3-4 days to show effectiveness. He might start to feel better sooner then that but you probably won't see distinct signs until the 3rd day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Re

That sounds right from experience with other cats i have had, and myself when taking an antibiotic. . 3-4 days

I gave him his first pill 30 minutes ago, i like to think he is feeling a tad better than he was 31 minutes ago.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just to be the devil’s advocate:

The antibiotic goes to work as soon as it’s absorbed (and in some cases, activated in passage through the liver), within a few hours. When you can start seeing the effects depends on how hard you look. When the cat starts feeling better is 2-3 days.

And you are absolutely right, by completing the prescribed antibiotic course, you are helping prevent antibiotic resistance in your cat or in the community.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, whether it is cat or human, ALWAYS take ALL of the pills over the time that is stated. Not doing so was the cause of MRSA and C-DIFF (I have seen a huge upswing in this, to die by diarrhea is not a way to die), and a host of other deadly diseases, also by giving antibiotics too often. I see results in 2-4 days, but that doesn't mean the bacteria is completely gone. Pain meds work completely differently, they are meant to be fast and strong and block pain impulses. Antibiotics have to seek out and destroy bacteria all over your body, a much longer and more complicated process.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Almost exactly 1 and a half days of antibiotics,still about the same;sneezing including bouts of sneezing,watery eyes,sleeping.

About 19 hours into his first dose of one pill, he showed sign of normalcy for about one hour;wanted to be brushed, alert-looking around to his surrounding,looking out a window, Then back to the above conditions.

Another 12 hours til the "two day mark" of being given antibiotics.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hang in there. The antibiotics are working on the inside but it takes a few days for the bacterial load to go down enough for symptoms to lessen.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone

It is just over 48 hours, the sneezing fits have gone from consistent to occasional, although he seems stuffed up. He is drinking water, about 3 times in a 24 hour period, alot of water. His appetite is zero, as in nothing in over 24 hours now. He is demanding to hide.

I am thinking as a 15 year old cat,he has older age items going on, that he is not going to make it. In the morning he will be going to his vet which does not have 24 hour service.
The nearest emergency vet after 4pm in my rural area is a 2 hour drive. That and the long trip for him would not be a good ride.

Zobuxa/Enrofloxacin is the antibiotic

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try offering him tuna, human meat baby food (or boiled chicken pureed with water), any stinky food, or anything he will eat. The not eating is concerning and it's better to get something in him even if it isn't the ideal to keep calories going into his system.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Re will try that for food

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yea, he is not eating any food.

His sneezing is just about over, maybe once every 2-3 hours contrasted to every 20-30 minutes for a day and a half.
Seems he has a very stuffed up nose.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He’s probably not wanting to eat because of his nasal congestion. Ask your vet to prescribe him antibiotic eye drops to drip down his nose. That can get a stuffed-up cat to start eating.

Please keep us updated. Sending healing vibes to your kitty.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After a rough night for my cat, took him to the vet this morning.
He was given an antibiotic shot. Will work for several days.
Also my cat's bladder is of concern in addition to the respiratory illness.

I am thinking every thing will be fine at this point although he has not eaten for about 50 hours..been with him 99% ot the time
Incidentally, my male cat is about 16-17 years old He was a stray from 2003

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat,after 2 days of pill antibiotics, and an antibiotic injection about 24 hours ago, STILL has not eaten food for 36 hours. I have been with him 99% of this time Not a single kernel of cat food. Drinking water, yes, not as much as i would want. Tried many ways and opened up many kinds of cat food, still a no go on food.

I read online, cats can go many days, up to 2 weeks without food. Obviously very unhealthy. Any comments on that?
I am not going to wait 2 weeks of him not eating. Reiterating, he is 3 days without food. He has been Sleeping 99% of the time of not eating

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The problem with not eating is cats bodies don't handle rapid weight loss well. You run the risk of fatty liver disease. Can you call your vet and ask about an appitite stimulant?

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Re:

Told the Vet yesterday when he administered the antibiotic shot, of my cat not eating for 48 hours which is now 72 hours. I assume an appetite stimulant was not needed or would not work or for some sound professional reason not to give one. He did say with words to the effect; to follow up if things do not improve.
My cat still has a stuff up nose, however on the decease. He has sat up twice in the past 2 hours like he was going to burst out of sickness.

The appox 72 hour mark of not eating just passed. He did just drink water for 2 solid minutes in 5 minutes time.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The water drinking is encouraging and it sounds like symptoms are starting to improve. I know my vet has given me appoitite stimulants for even 24 hours of not eating, but each vet is different in their approach. If he doesn't start eating soon, please consider asking the direct question. Sometimes cats start going downhill and won't restart eating on their own without some help.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sunday i gave my cat a enrofloxacin antibiotic pill
Monday, i gave my cat a enrofloxacin antibiotic pill
Tuesday, i missed giving him a enrofloxacin antibiotic pill because he spit it out and i got scratched up pretty bad
Wednesday, at 10 am, brought my cat to get a 7 day antibiotic injection so i would not have to struggle with pills.
Thursday I thought i saw signs he was coming out of the illness. Didnt happen

As of this post,just about Friday morning 12am, the antibiotic injection has been in my cat for 1 day, 14 hours. Very stuffed up nose, muted sneezing as i type.
I am losing faith/hope the antibiotic is going to be successful