How is the Fresh Step Free & Gentle Litter?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like using the Frisco unscented multi cat litter from chewy but sometimes I can’t meet the free shipping requirement and buy litter from the store. We have a litter robot III. We have tried Dr. Elsey’s but felt that the odor control wasn’t really the best. We tried fresh step Ultra Unscented and it did a great job with the smell but wet clay would stick to our robot like concrete and make an annoying mess. We heard fresh step Simply Unscented was a good option but I know it wouldn’t be comfortable to pour into the robot from a box. Has anyone tried the fresh step free & gentle litter? How was the odor control? Did it clump like concrete? Any other thoughts?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know about using it with a litter robot, but I personally didn't find much of a difference between FS Ultra Unscented and the Simply Unscented in terms of the sticky 'clumpy-ness' of it. I have not tried the FS Free & Gentle litter but did notice that of these three it is the only one that states it is made from plant extracts. Maybe that would cause it to clump differently?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. I don't know about using it with a litter robot, but I personally didn't find much of a difference between FS Ultra Unscented and the Simply Unscented in terms of the sticky 'clumpy-ness' of it. I have not tried the FS Free & Gentle litter but did notice that of these three it is the only one that states it is made from plant extracts. Maybe that would cause it to clump differently?
Oh really. So you thought the Simply Unscented clumped very hard and was sticky? Or did you think it clumped normally.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh really. So you thought the Simply Unscented clumped very hard and was sticky? Or did you think it clumped normally.
It clumps just like the Ultra Unscented. But, tbh, I don't know if it is the litter causing the sticky clumps or just the way Feeby pees. She pees a lot at one time, so I always find the pee clump stuck to the bottom of the box despite how much litter I put in the box. And, since she also pees in a corner, the clump is also always stuck to the side as well.
Would it be the same thing with another litter - I don't actually know. I have been using FS for so long, I can't recall if this was an issue before I switched or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It clumps just like the Ultra Unscented. But, tbh, I don't know if it is the litter causing the sticky clumps or just the way Feeby pees. She pees a lot at one time, so I always find the pee clump stuck to the bottom of the box despite how much litter I put in the box. And, since she also pees in a corner, the clump is also always stuck to the side as well.
Would it be the same thing with another litter - I don't actually know. I have been using FS for so long, I can't recall if this was an issue before I switched or not.
Might be a combination. My cats also pee a lot at once because they're on a water rich diet. But the clumps aren't as horrible with Frisco Unscented. Odor control is a smidgen better than Dr. Elsey's blue bag. But I'm about to try a few different litters. Be on the lookout in the next few months lol.