How In The World Do They Know When We're Home?!

Binxandlily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong spot.

I live in a two bedroom apartment with my girlfriend and our two kitties, 8 months and two years old. We have a locked security door that leads into our building, and then a set of stairs that lead to our door. People come and go from the building all day long, and the security door is LOUD when it shuts. The cats do not react at all until it's one of us unlocking the security door. I have no clue how they know that it's us. My girlfriend and I both work varying shifts, so we don't leave or come home at the same time every day at all. But somehow, EVERY single time they hear that security door open when one of us is home, they bolt to the front door. They just know somehow. And it completely baffles me. :lol:

Anyone else have cats that just seem to know when you're home?

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats are so tuned in. It amazes me sometimes. They pick up on the smallest things. I bet there are tiny differences in the sound of the lock depending on who is turning it. How hard its turned....how fast..how long before the door is opened afterwards...maybe the sound of different peoples footsteps too. I could totally see cats figuring that out eventually and thinking...ok....this sound means this person is home. I know with my cat there have been times I wonder if he has an extra sense or can see through the walls. It's like how the heck did he know that?