How does your cat(s) wake you up?

wafflesnomnom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After I stopped free feeding my cat, he's become my alarm clock in the morning so he gets his breakfast when he wants it lol. I thought this whole 'cat not letting you sleep' thing was a myth because he used to let me sleep until whenever I woke up to feed him, but now, at 7am he'll jump onto the bed purring up a storm and start kneading the sheets around me and on me. Then when that doesn't work, he'll head butt me, and then finally he'll start to lick my face which definitely wakes me up as I don't want him to ingest any of my moisturizer. I've tried burrowing myself beneath the covers but then I can't breathe after a while and he thinks it's a fun game to try to grab at me underneath them anyways. He has not done the 'sitting on my face' thing I hear about though. How do your cats wake you up?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My cat sleeps on my bed every night. He gets his last feed between 8-9pm. He'll wake up around 4am and ask to be let out of the room. And at 5.20am daily without fail, he'll jump up to bed and meow next to my ears to wake me up so that he can be brushed and fed :lol3:

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
They walk on me, meow in my face. Sometimes they'll wait for signs of movement from me before doing it, other times not (depends on how late it is).

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My girl will walk on me, meow in my face, and lick me - she's never been shy about asking for food or attention. If that doesn't work she'll actually pull my hair with her paws. She's learned that gets me up in a hurry.

My boy is more polite, if he needs something he will meow, quietly but persistently.

I used to have a cat who woke me by knocking things off my deesser one by one. She quickly taught me not to leave anything breakable within reach of a cat's paw!

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Meowing! When I first adopted my cat (seven months old) he didn't get the concept of me needing to sleep eight hours in a row... he'd come into the room meowing whenever he wanted attention. He was really clingy after being adopted and didn't like being alone. Getting used to a new house and not reinforcing his night time visits curbed that behavior completely, but he's still decided that after the sun rises is fair game! He'll come in meowing after the sun's up, or sometimes he'll bring his toys up onto the bed and bat them around. It's pretty cute, but also startling when he brings up the ones that make noises when they're hit... getting woken up by a mouse squeaking on my bed took some getting used to!

He's easily appeased though, and loves being under the covers. If I lift up the blankets he'll rocket right under and go back to sleep lol!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sophie walks on me, squawks at me, pats me with her paw, all the fun stuff. Lilith and Henry do nothing. I guess the three of them discussed it and decided it was Sophie's job. She's good at it. 

govtlawyer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 8 year old Sparky usually comes to me just around the time my alarm is about to go off or does go off.  I always hit the snooze alarm 3 times.  He kneeds around the blanket by my face/chest.  Then he'll lay down in the crook of my arm and head butt and face butt me and get scratches and kisses. He is very affectionate and expects reciprocal treatment.   He has a very definite quirk.  he will not lay down by me unless my arm is fully under the cover.  He will not lay on my bare arm.  As soon as I put it under the cover he makes himself comfortable.

My 8 month old Lucy is not specific as to time or frequency.  Sometimes it is a couple of hours before the alarm.  She sits by my face and just touches her nose to mine.  Not a strong head butt, just a bare touch.  Then, she will very gently touch my face with her paw - nails retracted.  It almost seems as if she is simply looking to see if I am alive.  The touches are so gentle.