How Does Your Cat "help" You During The Holidays?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Were dolly just had surgery done on her neck to remove a cyst I think we will just do a tree on the wall with some lights.... that way she will be stay safe and NOT be tempted to play with the tree itself and the ornaments. Mind you I have 3 who do that every single year, so trying to decorate with my companions is a labor of love. Lol.
I hear you, Dollycat! I hope Dolly recovers soon!

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haven't had a tree in a few years. The last time we had one our angel Floey used to nibble on the needles, drink the water out of the tree stand and of course bat the toys at the very bottom. I put cat friendly things on the bottom. I want them to play. They never climbed the tree or knocked it over.

Honeybee is the most active cat I own and she's never bothered the tree. Which I was surprised because she often zips up and down her treez and around the house.

Honeybee will come beg for food if it's raw meat.

When I was preparing the Turkey for the oven, she was up on the counter trying to bite off the plastic bag it comes in. I had to shoo her away. I ended up cutting a piece off and she happily ate it. Normally they dont touch the food on the counter.
[/QUOTE]
Hi, FoxxyCat. I love the name Honeybee. It's very cute!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holidays are just another day for me, so I don't do anything special and there's nothing for my Cats to get into or get in trouble over.

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Holidays are just another day for me, so I don't do anything special and there's nothing for my Cats to get into or get in trouble over.
Hi, Talien. I think my hubby would be in favor of that!

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No cat tree in my apartment. My cat Peaches has not growled at me once since I broke my ankle day before Thanksgiving. Hope it keeps up. That is her present to me!
Hi, Maggie. I'm sorry to hear about your ankle. I hope you recover quickly. And Peaches sounds like a real Peach

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aw, thank you! :) I wonder - and am worried haha - about what they'll do too this year!
With names like Toffee and Fudge, I am sure they'll be very sweet!

LisaT.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Theo :bigeyes: helped me put the sparkly, shiny round things on the tree :evergreen: by lending a paw to touch each of the lower ornaments as I put them on! Now, he's trying to help me take down the lower ornaments, one by one. My little stinker! Don't know what I'd do without my little kitty boy!!:heartshape: At least he's not trying to climb on it! :clap2:

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, LisaT. That's so cute! It looks like Theo was quality control when you put the ornaments on, but he's already burnt out on them! Hilarious!

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Theo :bigeyes: helped me put the sparkly, shiny round things on the tree :evergreen: by lending a paw to touch each of the lower ornaments as I put them on! Now, he's trying to help me take down the lower ornaments, one by one. My little stinker! Don't know what I'd do without my little kitty boy!!:heartshape: At least he's not trying to climb on it! :clap2:
HK always tests the lower ornaments for us to make sure they're... secure. since we've learned they're not, we now put attractive plastic or metal ornaments on the lowest branches so HK can do his testing without breaking any glass :D

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HK always tests the lower ornaments for us to make sure they're... secure. since we've learned they're not, we now put attractive plastic or metal ornaments on the lowest branches so HK can do his testing without breaking any glass :D
Hi, HK. It's good to see HK takes his job as an inspector so seriously! Just out of curiosity, what does HK stand for?

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ailish helps me at Christmas the same way she always helps me. Marches across my keyboard when I'm ordering my presents to make sure I'm getting the right things. I do beading, which picks up around the holidays because I make a few gifts, so she likes to walk across my project to make sure I have nice beads. Last year at Thanksgiving I had many of the pans and utensils I needed to make three pies arranged on the dining room table. I went to get something and Ailish was lying in the middle of the table (something I've never seen her do before) right in the middle of everything. When we are around she generally obeys the rule about not going on the table, but she just wanted to oversee the baking.

I don't have to worry about her and food because she's appalled by the idea of people food. At first I was surprised that she wouldn't eat a piece of plain chicken when she eats chicken cat food all the time and I tried to get her to eat it, but then I started to think maybe her dislike for table food was a good thing and decided to let it go.

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love the name Ailish. We may need to have Ailish over so she can teach our babies how to resist people food.

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We're dreading putting up the tree this year! We might just have to get some video of THAT adventure...both of mine are the biggest helpers with ribbons and wrapping paper. They think that it needs to be streamed all over the house though rather than tied around a gift.

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're dreading putting up the tree this year! We might just have to get some video of THAT adventure...both of mine are the biggest helpers with ribbons and wrapping paper. They think that it needs to be streamed all over the house though rather than tied around a gift.
I heard that! I can't remember the last time I walked across the living room without some kind of ribbon wrapped around my ankle :kneading:

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love the name Ailish.
Thanks. I had a hard time naming her. She came as Binx, which I didn't think fit her. She needed something more feminine, she's very petite, as she had kittens before she was a year old. She seems to like Ailish and comes when called, she thinks her name means "food here."

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I had a hard time naming her. She came as Binx, which I didn't think fit her. She needed something more feminine, she's very petite, as she had kittens before she was a year old. She seems to like Ailish and comes when called, she thinks her name means "food here."
That's hilarious :lol: and yet probably so true! There is a misconception that cats don't respond to their names, but nothing could be further from the truth. When we first got our cat Cuppy (the one in the Christmas tree in the opening thread), he was no more than five weeks old. We were told he was a little girl, and he was yellow, so we named him Buttercup (and I nicknamed him Cuppy). When Cuppy was three months old, another vet said Buttercup was a boy (which my husband and I were beginning to suspect), so I said we can't call him Buttercup if he's a boy. So, we officially renamed him Cuppy (and in the event he is ever in a cat show, his stage name will be Lord Cuppington of Beastwhistle). However, no sooner than we officially renamed him Cuppy, he began stealing plastic cups every day. The moral of this unnecessarily long post is to be careful what you name your cat, as it may become a self-fulfilling prophecy :headshake:

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's hilarious :lol: and yet probably so true! There is a misconception that cats don't respond to their names, but nothing could be further from the truth. When we first got our cat Cuppy (the one in the Christmas tree in the opening thread), he was no more than five weeks old. We were told he was a little girl, and he was yellow, so we named him Buttercup (and I nicknamed him Cuppy). When Cuppy was three months old, another vet said Buttercup was a boy (which my husband and I were beginning to suspect), so I said we can't call him Buttercup if he's a boy. So, we officially renamed him Cuppy (and in the event he is ever in a cat show, his stage name will be Lord Cuppington of Beastwhistle). However, no sooner than we officially renamed him Cuppy, he began stealing plastic cups every day. The moral of this unnecessarily long post is to be careful what you name your cat, as it may become a self-fulfilling prophecy :headshake:
To continue completely off-topic, we got a several day old turkey hatchling one time that we were assured was a male. My nephew named him Jim Bob. Couple months later somebody who knew turkeys was there and asked why we named a hen Jim Bob. Sure enough... But she was Jim Bob 'til the day she died.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll just list the ways my cats helped me during the holidays...

Unraveled ALL the ribbon for me when wrapping gifts.
Chewed on all the bows, that is how they signed their names on the gifts for people.
Pounced on the wrapping paper....I think they were helping me fold it.
Left little puncture holes in the paper to let me know where I needed to put the tape.
Chewed and pulled on the bottom branches of our tree (fake tree) while I put it together, they were making sure all the branches were evenly spaced.
Tried to get "tasting samples" of any and all cooking and baking I did. They claim it was for "quality control".
Jumped into all of my boxes of decorations, pulling random things out. They were just making sure I did not forget to put their favorite decoration up.
Pre-crumpled the tissue paper for me before I put it into the bags.

There's more but I'll stop at that for now...