How Does Your Cat "help" You During The Holidays?

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone. Since we just had Thanksgiving yesterday in the US and are in the holiday season, I wondered what your cats do to "help" you get ready for the holidays. How so they "help" you with decorating, cooking, gift wrapping, or greeting family and friends who come to your house? The below picture is our cat Cuppy "helping" me while I put up the Christmas tree. I'm looking forward to reading about your own little holiday helpers! Happy holidays!
20181123_151225.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Furrballs Mom. I imagine he also helps you clean up any item that happens to fall on the kitchen floor.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right now my girls are being the best babies in the whole wide world. They spent the day in my bedroom so I could decorate for the holidays. I scaled down (not that anyone could tell!) because this is my first holiday with them. So far, they've sniffed everything, chewed a little on a branch and have decided it's all good. I couldn't have asked for better kitties.

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Right now my girls are being the best babies in the whole wide world. They spent the day in my bedroom so I could decorate for the holidays. I scaled down (not that anyone could tell!) because this is my first holiday with them. So far, they've sniffed everything, chewed a little on a branch and have decided it's all good. I couldn't have asked for better kitties.
Awww. That's so sweet. I hope your first holiday with your new babies will be a special one for you!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone. Since we just had Thanksgiving yesterday in the US and are in the holiday season, I wondered what your cats do to "help" you get ready for the holidays. How so they "help" you with decorating, cooking, gift wrapping, or greeting family and friends who come to your house? The below picture is our cat Cuppy "helping" me while I put up the Christmas tree. I'm looking forward to reading about your own little holiday helpers! Happy holidays!View attachment 263288
ADORABLE!!
Cooking a plain daily meal is a lost cause, but luckily we have ways to cook large meals in an animal restricted area.
Carrying food..."I'll cut him off like some jerk on the interstate, and trip him up. Awesome, I just won a free turkey sandwich!"
Eating food..."I'll ninja leap and grab it off the plate and run for it. Awesome, I just won some free ham!"
Wrapping presents..."I'll stalk the scissors as he's cutting wrapping paper!" or "What's in this box?" (while I sheepishly deliver a gift to someone and tell them "ignore the cat hair inside") or "I'm gonna run off with this ribbon and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it" or "TAPE STUCK TO MY FOOT" (cat rushes around, crashing into things and generally making a neat and tidy room look like a Tornado Zone in about 13 seconds.)
Sigh.
Oh, and decorating. We don't even decorate in cat areas anymore because there have been too many tree/ornament/garland mishaps. But if we do try to just set out some cute stuff like stockings or santa statues, the cats go "This is ugly" and knock it down/break it/chew it, etc.
They're normally good cats, but you know kids and Christmas...makes 'em crazy.

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, 1Bruce. I had to laugh because when Tiger was alive, we could not put wrapped gifts under the tree. Tiger would tear wrapping paper off little bits at a time, but it was always enough to necessitate having to rewrap it.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, 1Bruce. I had to laugh because when Tiger was alive, we could not put wrapped gifts under the tree. Tiger would tear wrapping paper off little bits at a time, but it was always enough to necessitate having to rewrap it.
We had a friend deliver a gift card in one of those little miniature cute stockings a few years ago. This cat sat at my feet and stared at that stocking with his eyes dilated and his ears forward, and did a good 5 foot leap to try to grab the thing out of my hand. I tossed him the stocking (kept the gift card :thumbsup:) and he got so intense on killing it that I got a little uncomfortable and took it away.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That photo is adorable! I remember putting up the tree the first Christmas we had our last cat. He broke not one, but two strings of lights, so we invested in cordless lights. He also took all the decorations off the tree every night.

Mowgli isn't too bad with the tree, though he lies under it and will chew on any packages we dare put there. His specialty is "helping" me cook; his greatest ambition is to be a taste tester.

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That photo is adorable! I remember putting up the tree the first Christmas we had our last cat. He broke not one, but two strings of lights, so we invested in cordless lights. He also took all the decorations off the tree every night.

Mowgli isn't too bad with the tree, though he lies under it and will chew on any packages we dare put there. His specialty is "helping" me cook; his greatest ambition is to be a taste tester.
Hi, jcat! If we can keep our tree standing, we can often see a little paw come through the tree and bat an ornament. Our cat Purrcy used to take the bird ornaments off every day and line them up on the other side of the living room.

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mingo unwraps presents for me; that's after he helped wrap them by putting his paws on the ribbons while I am trying to tie bows. He also curls up in the boxes so I can't use them. Those stick-on bows make wonderful cat toys.
Hi, DreamerRose. Yes, on more than one occasion, I have had to catch one of our babies running around with a bow stuck to his or her side or foot.

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've only had one Christmas with Toffee and Fudge since we adopted them last December, though at the time, they were 3.5months old and were very curious of the Christmas tree! Toffee liked to "help" us by getting right into the tree and moving the decorations round.
Hi, Aliceneko. I remember seeing a precious post about your babies because I love their names! Now that Toffee and Fudge are undoubtedly bigger, I wonder if they will climb up the tree again this year.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a lot of issues with my clowder through the holidays. I was able to make it through thanksgiving without anything stolen from the kitchen. The boys were acting like kittens, nails up in my thighs, while I was stripping down the bird yesterday. But, even my girls like poultry, so I can call Yue from across the room over to me to get a piece of turkey. She just doesn't beg like a child :)
Tommy usually lays all over the wrapping paper when you are covering gifts, but no one has ever unwrapped anything. They only take the tree down when they are playing with each other, by accident. Collateral damages.

Dolly2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Were dolly just had surgery done on her neck to remove a cyst I think we will just do a tree on the wall with some lights.... that way she will be stay safe and NOT be tempted to play with the tree itself and the ornaments. Mind you I have 3 who do that every single year, so trying to decorate with my companions is a labor of love. Lol.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Haven't had a tree in a few years. The last time we had one our angel Floey used to nibble on the needles, drink the water out of the tree stand and of course bat the toys at the very bottom. I put cat friendly things on the bottom. I want them to play. They never climbed the tree or knocked it over.

Honeybee is the most active cat I own and she's never bothered the tree. Which I was surprised because she often zips up and down her treez and around the house.

Honeybee will come beg for food if it's raw meat.

When I was preparing the Turkey for the oven, she was up on the counter trying to bite off the plastic bag it comes in. I had to shoo her away. I ended up cutting a piece off and she happily ate it. Normally they dont touch the food on the counter.