How Does One Trap A Scared Kitten?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed that Tomahawk, who designed traps for a NYC feral program, now has a trap that you can set over the cat/kitten, and then slide the bottom under them. Might be an option for you. Also, I lured a baby recently with Temptations.
Thank you for replying to my post and for the suggestion, tnrmakessense. :)
I tried grabbing him last night ( I know, stupid).

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not stupid. I've done it. You've got to take opportunity when it presents itself. But you should probably wear heavy gloves and have something you can get him in to fast. I grabbed a feral kitten who was in a dangerous situation 5 days ago, got him in the car (didn't have a carrier in the car - do now !) and he disappeared. I'd taken the car apart, left it open all day in case he was still in there, walked miles looking for him etc etc and tonight, cried buckets thinking the worst and tonight, thank GOD, I heard him over by the food I've been leaving out beside the building. So there you go. But all the anxiety etc. we all know so well. I'll be thinking of you and the kitty and hoping all goes well.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, and this little guy I lured toward me with Temptations. I'd toss them to him and then have them get closer and closer to me. You might have a bag with a drawstring beside you. You could hold him in one hand, put the pillowcase over him with the other, then draw the drawstring. Might be easier than trying to shove him in to a carrier. You could also try a mesh laundry bag you use for fine washables. I have a friend with a former feral who was impossible (and dangerous) to get in to a carrier for a vet visit that used the washable bag and it worked well for him.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Not stupid. I've done it. You've got to take opportunity when it presents itself. But you should probably wear heavy gloves and have something you can get him in to fast. I grabbed a feral kitten who was in a dangerous situation 5 days ago, got him in the car (didn't have a carrier in the car - do now !) and he disappeared. I'd taken the car apart, left it open all day in case he was still in there, walked miles looking for him etc etc and tonight, cried buckets thinking the worst and tonight, thank GOD, I heard him over by the food I've been leaving out beside the building. So there you go. But all the anxiety etc. we all know so well. I'll be thinking of you and the kitty and hoping all goes well.

Thank you. :)

How did she/he disappear out of your car? I am sure glad you found the little one.
I am going to try to get a cage today, but if I can't, the animal control will lend one of his on Monday. I don't know if I can wait that long. The kitten will come to me and sniff my hands but that is about it.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the kitten!

I have been talking to her for several weeks now and even going back throughout the night to talk to her. When I put the food out for the other cats on Saturday night she came running. While she was trying to get a chunk of wet food, I just reached down and plucked her. :)

Animal Control also said I could their traps to get the other cats.

Thank you everybody!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
You're doing great. You did not use the trap get the kitten. It trusted you enough to come running to her food.

Thank you, she didn't offer to scratch or bite when I picked her up, although she did hiss a little bit after I got her home. tabbytom, I was going to take her to my vet but I don't trust him on account of how he handled Inky. She is the sweetest little girl, a seal point mix with freckles in her mask. :)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
she didn't offer to scratch or bite when I picked her up, although she did hiss a little bit after I got her home. tabbytom, I was going to take her to my vet but I don't trust him on account of how he handled Inky.
It's normal, she's in a new environment and things smell and look strange to her. Give her your best assurance and don't betray her trust.

For the welfare of this kitten and all other cats, change to another vet if possible. Some vets are just in the wrong profession.

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Its normal, she's in a new environment and things smelled look strange to her. Give her your best assurance and don't betray her trust.

For the welfare of this kitten and all other cats, change to another vet if possible. Some vets are just in the wrong profession.

She's being smothered in love, my mother came over the other day and fell madly in love with her. I hope she takes her. :)

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got the kitten!

I have been talking to her for several weeks now and even going back throughout the night to talk to her. When I put the food out for the other cats on Saturday night she came running. While she was trying to get a chunk of wet food, I just reached down and plucked her. :)

Animal Control also said I could their traps to get the other cats.

Thank you everybody!
That's the best news !!!! Thanks for sharing it !!!