How Does One Trap A Scared Kitten?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know how to trap a feral kitten who is afraid of everything- including traps!

Once again, I am talking about the cats over at Hood's parking-lot, only this time the feline is question is a three month old Siamese kitten. His mother (whom I feed) abandoned him completely a week ago. When I say "completely" I mean no interaction with him- zilch. He cries and cries every night over under the wood pile for me to come feed him. Yes, he is getting closer every day but he still runs from me and I can't wait the several more weeks it would take to get him to finally come to me. Anything could happen to him in that time,

I am buying a live trap today but I doubt I will have much success with it- he is one of these kittens who would rather starve than take a risk on anything unfamiliar. He must have missed the memo on cats having curiosity.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
jefferd18 jefferd18 , I replied your PM but it's good that you've asked your questions here too as we have many experienced strays and ferals caretaker here whom may be able to help you.

Stay tuned!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
jefferd18 jefferd18 , I replied your PM but it's good that you've asked your questions here too as we have many experienced strays and ferals caretaker here whom may be able to help you.

Stay tuned!
Thank you, tabbytom, I just now logged back on.

Some guy who works at the store actually talked me out of buying the trap- said it was a piece of junk. I don't want to spend a fortune for one so I am going to check online.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
If you are not planning to permanently trap feral cats for TNR, then it's not worthwhile to get one. You can check with your local TNR group to help you trap or borrow one from them or try this :-

59f321613f63d98257b89ae185f05cad.gif

Or get a humane trap :

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are not planning to permanently trap feral cats for TNR, then it's not worthwhile to get one. You can check with your local TNR group to help you trap or borrow one from them or try this :-

View attachment 298699

I have hinted to my vet (who actually runs a rescue group), about borrowing a trap and he didn't say anything. I also hinted around to my local animal control and that guy didn't take the bait either. I wonder if it would help if I offered to put down a deposit on the traps.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm not sure about putting down a deposit for the cage, BUT these guys should be ready to help at anytime!

I just wonder why are they not rendering their help? :headscratch: :dunno: They want a fee? :think:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about putting down a deposit for the cage, BUT these guys should be ready to help at anytime!

I just wonder why are they not rendering their help? :headscratch: :dunno: They want a fee? :think:

I honestly don't know, the last animal control person we had would lend out his traps to people. This guy said something about lending them out if the cat was on my own property but not if it was on the store's property. And that is a strange statement to make because the former animal control officer knew that these cats were on a parking-lot, and still said that I could borrow them if I wanted to.

The vet is useless, I found that out the hard way with Inky.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Can you contact that animal control guy that lent you the trap?

You need a trap for this mission.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise

Its a post that is always changing hands. The person I spoke to has long left and unfortunately I didn't take him up on the offer at the time. I don't know if the rules have changed or if it is up to the person who is in charge at the time.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am now in the middle of getting a trap- have sent you a PM. :)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise

Do you think it would be wise to maybe hold back his food- to get him a little more desperate so he will incline to take a risk- like getting into a cage?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes, you can. It's one of the ways to trap them after withholding food for a short period of time. But just make sure that he does not get food elsewhere and if he did, then it's no point for you on your side.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you can. It's one of the ways to trap them after withholding food for a short period of time. But just make sure that he does not get food elsewhere and if he did, then it's no point for you on your side.

I don't know why but this is really causing me to get anxious- I have got to get that kitten. I don't know if anyone leaves him food, I sure don't see any signs if they do. I just know that he is petrified of people, I finally got a good look at him the night before last, and I have been feeding him for a month!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Maybe he'll get use to you and maybe you don't even need to get the trap. Just observe his behavior and work it out from there.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he'll get use to you and maybe you don't even need to get the trap. Just observe his behavior and work it out from there.

Normally I would be fine with that, he could take all the time he needed to get use to me, but because of his age, I don't think time is on our side. That older male cat really got him last night.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
That older male cat really got him last night.
As long as the male is not directly attacking him but just wanting him to stay away, I think it's quite ok. But maybe it's better to get the kitten quick as no one knows what will happen as it may escalate into something worse as there's no momma cat to protect him.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as the male is not directly attacking him but just wanting him to stay away, I think it's quite ok. But maybe it's better to get the kitten quick as no one knows what will happen as it may escalate into something worse as there's no momma cat to protect him.

I am going to get a cage (ugh 51 dollars! :) ), because even if he doesn't go for it I will be able to catch the others. He acted more friendly to me on an empty stomach last night, I am going to delay his food tonight and see what he does.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I am going to get a cage (ugh 51 dollars! :) ), because even if he doesn't go for it I will be able to catch the others. He acted more friendly to me on an empty stomach last night, I am going to delay his food tonight and see what he does.
Bless your heart :clap:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless your heart :clap:

Lets hope that there a few naive cats in the group that will fall for the trap.

I know the old tom won't fall for it. When the rescue team put out the cages and caught 20 cats a few summers ago they would observe the old tom's reactions. He would just sniff the cages and walk on by. The animal control officer would just laugh at say: " You're never going to catch that old tom."

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know how to trap a feral kitten who is afraid of everything- including traps!

Once again, I am talking about the cats over at Hood's parking-lot, only this time the feline is question is a three month old Siamese kitten. His mother (whom I feed) abandoned him completely a week ago. When I say "completely" I mean no interaction with him- zilch. He cries and cries every night over under the wood pile for me to come feed him. Yes, he is getting closer every day but he still runs from me and I can't wait the several more weeks it would take to get him to finally come to me. Anything could happen to him in that time,

I am buying a live trap today but I doubt I will have much success with it- he is one of these kittens who would rather starve than take a risk on anything unfamiliar. He must have missed the memo on cats having curiosity.
I noticed that Tomahawk, who designed traps for a NYC feral program, now has a trap that you can set over the cat/kitten, and then slide the bottom under them. Might be an option for you. Also, I lured a baby recently with Temptations.