How Do Your Cats React To Storms?

hiya_unicorns

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today we had a tornado warning and severe thunderstorm watch. 3 of my girls, Maggie, Tabitha and Lottie were freaked out and were trying to get in the basement. Thankfully it didn’t last long. I have never seen them act like this (kind of freaked me out that they reacted like that).
WELL... my cats use to not even be bothered by storms but back in March we had a tornado (very small F0) come down my road and right outside my apartment. I live in a historic building and below is a bar, and all the patio furniture got throw up and a window blown out across the street, I saw the whole thing and it terrified me. After that my female cat, Nausa, is deathly afraid even when it sprinkles. She will hide under a bench in my dinning area and when it rains for a few days, she gets so anxious. I am hoping she will one day overcome this fear!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Gypsy was a TNR neighborhood stray and about 1 or 2 years old when she decided to take us under her paw back in 2016. She is terrified of fireworks and will hide. Thunder except for the big "BOOMS" don't faze her.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well this is an older post, but I just stumbled across it. Lily is TERRIFIED of storms, the first roll of thunder we hear, she "army crawls" and does this sad little cry to go out into the garage, and retreats under one of the cars, and will stay there for a long time. It was so bad a few years ago, she would be so terrified that she would start panting out of fear. Not sure if she still pants, first sign of a storm she's out in the garage. I guess thats her "Safe place" and in her mind the storm can't find her under the car out there. I think I tried calming treats a few years back and gave them to her if I knew a storm was coming, but they stopped making that brand awhile back.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither Cricket nor Austin are bothered by storms. Today it was raining really hard and Austin was interested in it, meowing at it and pawing at the window.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Gypsy was the neighborhood stray until she decided to allow us to become her faithful minions. She had been so terrified of the fireworks the past two years. The old garage she use to live in had holes in the roof and the idiots just across the alley shot off the big ones from their backyard. I can just picture our poor little girl freaking out not only listening to the BOOMS but also watching the scary lights through the holes in the roof! I'd spent $10 last year on some calming chews that she wouldn't have anything to do with.
20190708_011406-1.jpg
This year I got some calming stuff in a tube that she licked off my fingers and it really helped, she was a little spooked but not nearly as devastated as before.
20190708_011828.jpg
She was use to licking this hairball gel.
hairball stuff.jpg
Both are the Salmon flavor she adores.