How do you train a cat to go outside on a harness?

peterbald love

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really need help. I want Kiki to be able to walk outside on a harness without freaking out. Any ideas on how to train a 1 year old cat to go outside on a harness?

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
It starts inside where the cat gets used to having the harness on. When they're comfortable with that you attach the lead but don't pull or tug. Hold and follow the cat. If you have to let go , let go. Don't turn it into a war.

I think it also has a lot to do with the type of harness. Mine have pink vest type harnesses. There is a ring on both sides of the fastener in the back. Even if that came loose the lead would still be on both sides. Mine have only worn them in their crates and at the vet and airport.

All cats like dogs should at least be accustomed to the feel of a harness and lead attached.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure that you reward your cat whenever they wear the harness. Give treats and attention. Playing works well also. It is a very good idea to put it on for short periods of time at first just to get used to it. Don't get discouraged if the cat flops on the ground and pretends like the harness is killing them. Some react like that. Both of my cats enjoy going outside on their harnesses, its totally worth the time it takes to train them.

My cats both reacted totally differently when I put the harnesses on. The older cat is the one that was the most chill about it. He only took a few weeks to train, helped along by his love of going outside and the fact that he only got to go out with the leash and harness. 

My kitten is more skittish of the outdoors and of the harness. She is starting to warm up to the harness now, but originally flopped on the ground and wouldn't move. She's getting used to the outdoors. We've been taking her out in our arms for only a five or six minutes at a time. Now she's actually starting to explore on our porch, but nowhere else. Being outside for brief periods of time has really helped her start getting comfortable.

Do you have a harness yet? I like this one: http://www.kittyholster.com/  but I know it isn't entirely inescapable but no harness is.

Here are pictures of my cats wearing their harnesses:

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat took to walking with the harness quickly, but we no longer use it. I also recommend one like @NewYork1303

posted.

Put the harness on and let the cat get used to it in the house. Use lure of a treat to get him to walk to you. Many will stumble like a drunk.  Most likely after a few days the cat will walk like normal, and you can try outside. Keep treats with you outside to entice walking, or to distract when taking the harness off.

In the beginning my cat would walk outside fine for a few minutes, then fall over and lay on the ground as if paralyzed.  Then bite me when I tried to take the harness off. In time she would go 20 minutes or so walking normally. At that point we transitioned to supervised walks off the leash. In time I think most cats will learn to walk in a harness. Good luck.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We started Eclipse young, about 4 months old.  He was always trying to run out the door and we grill most nights so I began taking him out while DH fixed dinner.  Now we go out at least once a day, still around dinner time.  He mostly explores the front and back yard and when it's quiet in the neighborhood he will go down a few houses to explore.  7 so far is his max.

I didn't know there was a way to train the cat and just put it on and out we went.  Luckily it worked well.  Fluffy our other cat is not a harness kind of girl.  She gets spooked very easily outside. 

there is an article on TCS for harness training.
[article="22430"]Harness And Leash Training For Cats  [/article]

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Really good advice given already, not much to add except that we take our Bengal Makena out nearly every day (weather permitting) and walking a cat can be a lot of fun!

Hiking with my wife

We use a nylon strap harness for Makena for two reasons. One, he likes to race and he can overheat in a jacket type

Two, He climbs a lot of trees and he knows how to safely back out of his harness if his lead becomes tangled in branches

The jacket types are way more secure.